Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched the Season 9 premier of Family Guy tonight and it was in HD, finally! Will all the new episodes be in HD?

-Mike

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would imagine from now on yes they will be HD, I think Family Guy was the last of the FOX animated shows to make the switch... I mean, its just fill color with voices, I don't know why the change didn't happen sooner.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
From what my eyes could detect last season, Family Guy was already HD but it was full screen 4:3, not wide screen 16:9.

·
Registered
543 Posts
PRAISE THE ANIMATION LORD!!!!!!

Course, it probably won't mean future seasons will be released on blu-ray, considering that The Cleveland Show, which was done in HD, isn't being put on blu-ray. Still, so glad it's finally in 16:9:p

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMO Family Guy seems to have been hit/miss the last few years consistency-wise (for content/comedy) but this years premiere was great. Strayed from the regular formula and it was a great episode to showcase the move to 16:9. Family Guy already was in HD resolution the last few seasons, just in a 4:3 aspect ratio. The Star Wars spoof Blu-Ray releases are 1080p with a 4:3 ratio.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Well it was way better than the Simpsons and Cleveland show.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well it was way better than the Simpsons and Cleveland show.
The Simpsons, yes, that show has been dumb and redundant for seasons now, and I'll put down money it's coming to it's last legs. The Clevenland Show however, I think is an okay thing, I actually like it infact.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Yes, the season premiere was 16:9 HD. I think we can safely presume this will be true for all new episodes from now on. :)

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
This Sunday, they will have something that has never been done before. Cleveland show will be LIVE! That must be hard for the cartoonist. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Confirmed: Family Guy now in widescreen HD.
In making the 16:9 version of the show's opening, they took the opportunity to correct the movement of the dancers, which were previously out of sync with the theme music.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Brian" only mentioned widescreen in the opening scene of last nights episode, not widescreen HD, and the Bell Guide doesn't have it listed as HD. It's really hard to tell with animated shows but it looks good regardless.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Well, it *looks* HD, not upconverted SD.
There were no jagged edges and auras around lines in the animation. (Just look at older episodes of the toons and you'll see what I mean.)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Return of the Jedi - Family Guy style

Picked up Family Guy: It's a Trap! Blu-ray today! It too is in HD, thank goodness. I probably won't watch it until the weekend though. Seth MacFarlane is really stuck in the 80's (like me). I'd like to see him do some spoofs of other popular 80's movies.

-Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts