Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and didn't see anyone discussing this. Was watching Family Channel with my kids on Rogers 52 and to my surprise it was replaced with Family Channel HD and broadcasting in HD with a new rebranded look.

C&P of official notice:
Astral launches Family Channel HD

January 11, 2011 - 2:50pm — The Wire Report
Astral Media Inc. announced Tuesday it has launched Family Channel HD, a new channel available to Bell Satellite TV and Rogers Communications customers.
The service will launch on Bell Fibe TV and MTS in the coming weeks.
Astral also said in a release it has “rejuvenated” its brand identity. A new Family.ca website will launch in late February.
Family Channel serves children aged eight to 14.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's odd....

I'm a digital VIP subscriber, and now Family-HD comes up as 'not authorized' and the same with YTV-HD. I do receive Family still on ch 225, but not on ch 51 here (TCM is on 52 here in London).

Now I don't know if they've excluded me from getting these as I'm on a 12 month retention deal, or if they just don't have their act together enough to make it available.

I'm thinking this is like the "We're going to add WSBK-HD to your subscription for no extra cost as of XX XXX 2010, but it took them almost a month extra to get it sorted out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am on 3 months free..so promo should not matter...try the real HD channel of 588. 225 is the SD channel.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well that blows. My kids are all used to Family being on 51 and YTV on 65 (Ottawa) and now they've been re-mapped to channels I'm no-longer subscribed to? They didn't do that to TSN (30) but isn't it in the exact same boat?

Or am I (eventually) going to get those channels and this is just a deployment glitch?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not believe anything was remapped. The channels did not change for me in GTA. It was always 52 (original analog map), 225 SD digital theme map and now have added the HD channel at 588...

Now Rogers overlaps the hd channel on to the analog mapping If you have an hd box and subscribe to the channel...so for me I get the hd version on the original 52

·
Banned
206 Posts
MCIBUS - They were approved for Family Extreme which is similar to Disney XD and according to Wiki that is supposedly coming this year or next, don't remember exactly when. They are also going to be launching Playhouse Disney HD (or Disney Junior HD I suppose) sometime soon I would imagine as MTS has had it listed for a while.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JERICHO: Nice to hear!! In the US, Disney has a great line-up for kids with Disney HD, Playhouse HD and DisneyXD HD..I gotta kid in each age group! haha Be nice to see us Canadians to get similar.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am on 3 months free..so promo should not matter...try the real HD channel of 588. 225 is the SD channel.
Tried 588, same 'not authorized' message comes up. Not that we watch either YTV or Family channel, so it's no biggie, just the principle of the thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
While Family HD is on channel 588 on Rogers Cable, how about Bell Satellite TV? Has anyone got this? It seems that Family HD is launched on Rogers and Bell today.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I do not believe anything was remapped. The channels did not change for me in GTA. It was always 52 (original analog map), 225 SD digital theme map and now have added the HD channel at 588...

Now Rogers overlaps the hd channel on to the analog mapping If you have an hd box and subscribe to the channel...so for me I get the hd version on the original 52
Up until recently 51 was Family-SD for us. Now the guide shows it as Family-HD and when I try to watch it it says to call the 1-888 number to order Family-HD on channel 5xx. I try 5xx directly and get the exact same thing. Switches to it immediately which indicates that 51 is just re-mapped to the new HD channel now (with the Auto-HD feature). I've got VIP (which I believe is how I get Family) but it appears that Family-HD is *not* in VIP. In much the same way I get TSN-SD on 30 as part of VIP, but 30 is not re-mapped to 503, which is TSN-HD (which is not part of VIP).

·
Registered
629 Posts
To those getting "Not Authorized" on Family HD, you might want to try unplugging your device and if that does not help, call the Rogers support line and have them re-authorize your box. I would bet this will be a free channel if you already get Family Channel SD so this is likely just a glitch in the system. If not, call and complain about being pushed to the HD channel when you don't have it. That might have been a mistake on their part.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Family HD on Bell is on channel 1642 and YTV HD is on 1646. From what I saw last night, Family had quite a few HD shows.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My kids and I were quite surprised by the amount of HD content out the gate...although my 7 year old was not happy with the new colours and rebranding! haha

I too believe that the "not authorized" is just a glitch...I only have digital VIP and both my re-map and original HD channel come right in. If you didn't qualify for the HD channel for free it would not have re-mapped it to your 51 (just like TSN HD does not re-map for digital vip only customers).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Posts removed and infraction issued for trolling comments.

To those that responded to the troll, may I remind you of our rules

Zero tolerance for flaming - Digital Home has zero tolerance for flames. If you have an issue with a post or someone's behavior then use the Report Bad Post feature and let our moderators deal with. If you respond and flame another member, you will be issued an infraction.
Folks, if you think someone is trolling then report it. Do not engage. It simply ruins the thread and makes a mess for the moderators to clean up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I just read the article about the launch on Bell TV that Digital Home has posted and found a line in it about Family HD being all upconverted SD programming last night. Was this the case? I thought most of the shows on last night were HD. The odd show that came on was 4x3, but a majority of them were 16x9 and when compared to Family SD they had more picture being shown and were a lot clearer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts