Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would share so people are aware of this going around.

I had an automated call recently claiming to be "Rogers", the automated system was exactly the same as the one Rogers uses for their legit calls. It informed me that a PC in the house is infected with a virus and I have 48 hrs to clean it or have the account suspended, it directed me to go to a Rogers url and download a cleaner or press 1 to speak with someone from technical support. Pressing 1 did nothing but loop the press 1 message until it eventually just dropped the call.

Seems this particular scam relies on you downloading the so called "anti-virus/cleaner" from the fake Rogers website which is most likely some type of trojan virus... I also wouldn't be surprised if they ran a modified scam where pressing 1 would transfer you to someone who would try and gather your personal info...

I promptly reported this to Rogers, they verified that indeed it was a scam call. Don't know if this is a new scam or not but be aware and report all suspicious calls, if your not sure you are always better off hanging up and calling Rogers yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
When they sound legit, it is hard to spot the fake ones. You always try to give the benefit of the doubt but sometimes....

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is going to get to the point where we need a way to verify phone callers identity. Can't trust anyone calling you from a company.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
CRA - Canada Revenue Agency - SCAM ?

Ya, call scams - getting very sophisticated.

We're getting calls on the house line, from someone claiming to be CRA - Canada Reveue Agency (i.e. the Canadian Government, Income Tax dept.) looking for someone by name who does not even live there.

Complete with caller id 1-800-9xx number that "looks" like a real government exchange. And asking to call back a different 1-800-9xx number.

We're not sure if it's a scam or real - but we seem fairly confident it's a scam phishing for personal information.

I searched the toll free numbers on the internet for information - and had many mixed opinions posted there. Many getting that sort of call - claiming it's a scam.

All agree - do *NOT* give out personal information on the phone. They ask for banking info and personal info. "Which bank are you with? What is your account number? What is your date of birth? Social insurance number?"

Never give that info out on the phone.

Advise friends and family members about the scams, and how to deal with them. Seniors can sometimes be particularly vulnerable to these sorts of SCAMS.

The advice given on the internet forum was:

CRA - Canada Revenue Agency - if there is any issue - will mail you a letter.
Ask them to mail you a letter - for example - if there is some issue, or if you owe them money.

Also - If it is really CRA calling - they SHOULD already have all that personal information on your file, or personal electronic file.

That's a big time SCAM so everyone beware.

It's amazing ... I think they are actually able to spoof real caller ID numbers with the technology now. So be wary of the info showing on the caller ID - that can be faked too.

Also - it was mentioned that the SCAMMERS might even be trolling the internet advice forums - posting their own messages saying "It's not a SCAM, it's real, and you should call back."

So careful - you can't necessarily trust the advice posted on the internet either.

It's unfathomable that a SCAMMER would try and impersonate the GOVERNMENT OF CANADA! CRA - Canada Revenue Agency.

[ Imagine in the U.S. - impersonating the I.R.S. for a scam ! ]

The Government has lots of "tools" at their disposal to crack down on that sort of scam. Just imagine ...

Report them directly to the Government - and bring down the WRATH of GOVT on them.

I imagine that ... that the regulatory agencies, and Gov't will take particular pleasure and zeal in persuing them and shutting them down - esp. - if they're trying to scam you by impersonating THEM - the Govt or the CRA.

Note down all the details of the call. Date, time, caller id showing, what was discussed, details of the message left. If you get on live with them, Fish out all the info you can - their name, agent #, where calling from, etc etc.

Include all that information on your complaint / report.

Be careful out there ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes...
it's quite posible, especially with VoIP phone services, to show just about anything on the call display of the party you are calling.

I work with the public in Ottawa and get several calls from various federal government employees each week. The display usually shows GOC-GDC (I think I have the French one right).

Yes, I know people who can spoof the call display data and no, I'm not saying how it's done. If it's not illegal, it probably should be. After all, it's not usually a case of concealing an internal company phone number but rather of deliberately misleading the called party.

- Bill H.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
but rather of deliberately misleading the called party
One legit reason I'm aware of is for a women's shelter, where they don't want anyone to know where the woman is. Some companies will also display a common incoming number, rather than the actual line phone number.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't say that there weren't legitimate reasons for this - just that doing it with intent to mislead (ie scam) should be criminal.

Place I work does it, too.
But my clients have the direct line to my desk.

- Bill H.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It gets really tricky because if they call you, they tell you that they need to verify that you are really the person they want to speak with. So, for example, a scam pretending to be from CCRA could very well sound legitimate to ask for your address and SIN because that is how CCRA tracks you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts