Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tuner failure in a Motorola 6400 dual tuner PVR box. Has anyone else experienced this and is there anywhere they can be fixed? The box still works but with only one tuner. It's less than 3 years old.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

if it's under three years old it might still be under warranty. Call Shaw and see what they say.

Hopefully it's still under warranty and they swap it out for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one like that, recorded digital just fine on both tuners, but on analogue channels one tuner worked perfectly, the other recorded a technicolor rainbow and static. Worked perfectly on digital though. Was replaced under warranty, but it was only 3 months old. Should make no diff though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motorola repairs in Canada?

I have a 6412 with both tuners gone post warranty period. I would be curious to know if and where there are repar centres in Canada? I'm guessing the cost of repairs may make purchasing/renting the easier and more reasonable decision...but maybe someone can surprise me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done a lot of tweaking with a 3080 pvr in the past where I would plug/unplug and change the HDD inside and a few times I forgot to replug (data cable) the HDD and the box would work on one tuner only, just like a regular STB. but no access to the other tuner or the HDD.

If the HDD is not connected, when you press "list" the "dvr is not available" type of message comes up. If your 64xx pvr acts the same way it might just be a disconnected data cable, a bad data cable or a dead HDD.

I would open it and have a look. I suspect a dead HDD though, try reseating the cables, if that doesn't work, change the HDD and reboot the PVR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Failed Tuner Responses Thanks

The unit was bought from Delta Cable, now Eastlink, and I have been told the warranty was only one year ....there is nothing about warranty of any sorts on the original purchase order. I have installed the box on a second tv and will use it with it's single working tuner, HD, and live recording features. I am now renting a new box from Delta ...DCX-3400 for our primary TV. Thanks for responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts