Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EZ Rock 104.9 FM, an adult easy-listening station, is now Virgin Radio, a Top 40 pop format, the third of its kind in the city.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know why they would convert EZ Rock, a top-rated radio station in Edmonton to a station playing crappy top 40 music.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Only the third? While not necessarily "Top 40", have a dozen channels are playing the same type of music and that doesn't leave much left.

It looks like everyone is after the same demographic but that leaves radio in one heck of a crappy state.

Satellite and Internet radio are almost a "must" now.

I bought a new tuner to listen to Magic 99, smooth jazz but that was recently rebranded - only CBC & CKUA remaining as decent options.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't get Astral and some of its formatting decisions. They changed London's EZ Rock from easy listening to a Top-40-leaning station. Not surprisingly, their ratings plummeted to the lowest level I've seen since BBM has posted ratings online - in Fall 2010 they actually dropped below a station beaming in from Tillsonburg. Not long ago they were #1 in London.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't get Astral and some of its formatting decisions. They changed London's EZ Rock from easy listening to a Top-40-leaning station. Not surprisingly, their ratings plummeted to the lowest level I've seen since BBM has posted ratings online - in Fall 2010 they actually dropped below a station beaming in from Tillsonburg. Not long ago they were #1 in London.
$$$

18+ numbers don't really matter anymore, in the PPM world the money is in your "Core" demographic. Easy 101 is the 55+ to death demo. EzRock is more or less now going after your hip hockey moms who's buying decisions are made by not only them but their teenage sons/daughters.

However EzRock 97.5 does need to find their place and with any format change it will take time.

In Edmonton, I don't see why they need 3+ CHR stations. Someones bound to fail... makes it interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Change

I don't care one way or another who is running the circus. Just please don't repeat the same songs over and over again. You guys played Bruno Mars "Grenade" 9X on Feb 8, between 6:05am and 4:33pm. 9X really?

·
Registered
178 Posts
This format change will help Capital FM & UP 99.3 in the ratings. I don't care one way or the other. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio for years,thanks to my USB stick / iPod

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sad state for Edmonton radio

Too bad about ezrock, that was a good station.

That leaves only 3 good stations for DX ing in Red Deer.

The best stations left are 97.3 Krock , Terry Evens Rules.

The 92.5 Joe fm , or whatever they are calling it these days is not bad.

And Hot 107 plays some decent dance / rap songs, but is a [email protected]@@ to recieve out here with it's low KW transmittter and co channel interference from 107.3 calgary fm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts