Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO DIGITAL HOME FORUM,

Although I am a lurker I love this website because everytime I have ever had a problem with Rogers I have been able to quickly search the forums & find someone else having a problem similiar to mine. Usually I find the fixes for my issues but unfortunately this time around I did not. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me before my head explodes & I cuss out four or five more CSRs at Rogers.

This problem started with wanting to upgrade from Extreme to Extreme Plus because my boyfriend & I are heavy internet users and we needed the extra bandwidth since I couldn't afford to pay for the over-usage charges anymore. I called & spoke to someone who told me I would need to upgrade my modem & that I could pick up tommorow (last Monday) & everything would work fine & our plan will have already changed.

So I pick up my new modem & install it. No one ever mentioned to us that this was a modem & router so when we called when the internet would not connect they told us we no longer needed to use our old router. Unplugging the old router made the internet work but now we had a speed of 5 mbps instead of 25. That was on my wired computer, on my wireless computer we had less than 1.

I called on Tuesday to report this & they told me they would open a ticket & call me in 48 hours. I called them on Wednesday in the morning to ask what was happening & they told me they were "check the network" and to call back at 8pm tonight when my support ticket was finished with if I had any issues.

Call back at 8pm on Wednesday &they have no idea what is happening. It's the third time someone at Rogers told me "they don't know why it's happening or how to fix it". A lady tells us that she'll open up another support ticket and to wait 72 hours & call back.

I called them again on Friday and we don't even have support tickets open so I'm thinking this lady was playing Farmville instead of doing anything about my issue. Now they tell us they'll send someone out to check our connection.

A guy comes to my house on Saturday & checks all of my connections & tells me that I have a "perfect connection" so there should be no problem. I run the speed test in front of him & he says he doesn't know why it's happening & I'll need to call back rogers.

The asian man I speak to when I call them back asks me to unplug a bunch of wires, replug them back in, goes on my computer through Live Help & configures a bunch of stuff then comes back and tells me to go pick up a new modem.

Saturday we pick up the new modem and our speed issues are miraculously fixed. We get up to 24 mpbs on our wireless computer (which has Windows 7) and speeds of 15 mpbs or so on the wired computer (which is about six years old running Windows XP). I'm fine with it, we go about our lives.

Sunday & Monday the internet starts to cut out at random times on the wireless. I don't use the wired computer so I'm not sure if the internet is going down on the wired as well, but on the wireless I get 'limited connectivity' and then it completely fails. If I disconnect the internet & reconnect the internet on the wireless then everything is back up again.

This continues to happen throughout Tuesday. It failed three times this morning and so I go to Live Support & talk to a chap named Michael who has no idea why it's not working & pretty much can't help me at all & tells me to call Rogers the next time it happens.

So I turn to you, Digital Home, in hopes that someone here is smarter than the CSRs at Rogers.

We upgraded to the SMC modem & we run a wireless USB D-link N adapter on the wireless computer. We used the program that came with the modem to run the installation. As I mentioned, on the wireless computer we run Windows 7 & on the wired is Windows XP. I also just ran a speed test now & my wireless computer is running at about 15mbps so I'm sure the wired is in the single digit range.

If all of this fails - does anyone have any suggestions for an ISP in the Brampton area that doesn't have crazy bandwidth caps? I would love, if I am to switch, to switch to one that someone else currently uses & enjoys. My price range is from about $60 - $90.

Thanks to anyone who can help out in advance! I know it's super annoying to have lurkers come out of the shadows & attempt to get some answers for their problems when they haven't contributed before but I can assure you that I've searched the forums & saw people who had similiar problems & found their fixes but I've really tried using those methods & nothing has worked yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You don't have to use the new modem as router as well. You can log in the modem and disable the router aspect of it so it becomes a "bridge" (a simple modem). You can then use your old router. A lot of people have reported issues with the wireless aspect of the SMC modem/router. I would try that first and see if it solves your issues.

To log in the modem use "rogcesadmin" as user and "wra8uje" as password (without the quotation marks, of course).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My father (the account holder, I just pay for the internet) got impatient & called Rogers back again last night & went through about seven people. One guy offered the solution of either not using our wireless computer (seriously) or plugging it into the router & using it as a wired computer. Eventually he got to another Tech. Sup. representative who helped us bridge teh SMC modem so we could use our old D-Link router. So far I haven't noticed the connection drop so that problem has been fixed. However, this is pretty sad..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts