Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you really like the 630 you should just replace the stock drive after failure. the downside is that you will have to reformat the eSata drive as well

·
Registered
554 Posts
Does firmware 56.05 support eSATA hotplug

I was unable to find the original post regarding eSATA hotplug. I did find an old text shown below that referenced the original post.

I wonder since we get the occasional Hydro One power failure.

Does the current firmware release 56.05 support eSATA hotplug?
Maybe this is not relevant to my concern about the reboot of the receiver at maybe not exactly the same time the external hard drive reboots. This is a concern when we go on vacation and expect the recordings to work as expected.

"eSATA hotplug is not supported in this release, meaning the receiver must be rebooted if a drive is connected or disconnected."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, hot plug support was added in the software release just after the launch of External Hard Drive support, back in 2012. One of my first software release deployments!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interesting. When I connected my new 1 TB external hard drive to the 56.05 PVR630, the connected HDD did not cause the 630 to notice. I held down the 630 on/off button to restart the 630. After it restarted, a screen appeared to notice the HDD and went on to format the drive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ah, I should have clarified - hot plug is enabled only after the drive is formatted to the receiver. A reboot would be required for initial setup, then you're good to go.

·
Registered
554 Posts
External Drive OK after 630 restart

My wife told me that she was watching a recorded show on the 630 while cruising the guide. The 630 went into re-start. All well after that. The point is that the external drive remained or re-connected with the 630 without the user noticing. :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Automatic External to Internal recording

At what percentage of external hard drive capacity will recording start on the internal drive?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
pixelization, stuttering...

At what point would the internal, factory drive start to regularily show pixealization, dropouts, stuttering, from being too full on a regular basis - 80%, 90%? I have been getting these errors which I thought were reception-induced errors, but when I cleaned off about 20% of the drive, down to 65% full, things seemed to stabilize. I’d prefer to NOT add an external drive if possible...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking as well - reboots happen too when the drive is full. I’ll use 70% as a target.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Hard drive are typically OK up to about 90% capacity. For best performance it's a good idea to keep them under about 75%. If there are issues below either of those limits, it's probably being caused by hard drive errors, firmware errors or hardware design deficiencies.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Percentage

I reviewed post #7. I saw that 2TB was in spec for the external drive. I wonder what the design spec is for the internal hard drive to take over when the external drive reaches XX% of capacity. The number XX% is my question and I also wonder if the user can select that percentage.

60 to 65 is probably the max I would push the drive myself. I have seen reboot issues that I would easily attribute to drive when it is 75 - 80% +

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
I reviewed post #7. I saw that 2TB was in spec for the external drive. I wonder what the design spec is for the internal hard drive to take over when the external drive reaches XX% of capacity. The number XX% is my question and I also wonder if the user can select that percentage.
As I mentioned in my post, link below, the firmware "balances" the amount (percentage wise) between the two drives. So if the external is 51% full and the internal one is 49% full, the internal drive will get the next recording. This is not user selectable.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/157367-external-sata-hard-disk-drive-ehdd-discussions-hdpvr-630-see-post-1-a-17.html#post3094457

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The other factor that I find/believe impacts stability on the 630 is the number of programs you have your PVR that it is keeping track off. I go into PVR options fairly regularly and delete programs that I no longer care about. For example once Game of Thrones completed, it ends up as an orphaned potential recording that will no longer have new episodes. I try to keep the list paired down as much as possible. You can end up with a lot of old, outdated series that will never trigger but are being kept in the list. I had well over a hundred entries in the PVR, many that I wasn't interested in any more. My one 630 seemed to be more stable once I edited out the list. The fewer pointers to upcoming / "watch for" programs and fewer actual recordings seems to go a long way to making the 630 PVR more stable. IME.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
The fewer pointers to upcoming / "watch for" programs and fewer actual recordings seems to go a long way to making the 630 PVR more stable. IME.
I agree 100%. The people who have difficulty on Rogers almost always have HDDs that are almost full, hundreds of recordings and hundreds of scheduled recordings. I usually have my iHDD about 20-30% full and 20-30 scheduled recordings in the coming week. That's all I can watch anyway. I might reach 50% after a 3 week vacation, but I whittle that down pretty quickly when I return. Not only is the PVR more stable, but it is often faster functionally.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@RuralRouter - @57 is correct, the unit will select whichever drive has more space. However, the other x factor about which drive will be recorded to also comes down to pre-existing programs. If episodes of a TV series pre-exist on say, your internal drive, future episodes will also record on your internal drive.

·
Registered
554 Posts
@k801809 said "... the unit will select whichever drive has more space."

Does % of capacity and its affect on efficiency a factor to determine when recording shifts to the internal drive?

If both drives are at maximum comfortable % capacity of recordings, then recording will go to the drive with the most actual (not %) capacity available. Do I have that right?
It must have taken some coding to keep all episodes of the same show on the same drive. Since the combination of both drives are considered as one virtual drive, it shouldn't matter or is there a reason? It seems to me that it would be all eggs in the same basket.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts