Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Might anyone have the technical know-how to describe what I've recently noticed on the grey external cable box on the side of my house?

I've recently had the Rogers Cable technical support visit my house to repair a phone line. I've noticed the cable guy also took liberties to install a new copper wire (green) from within the grey unit and connected it to my electrical meter.

1. Does anyone know what this accomplishes for Rogers?
2. Do they have the right to connect the copper wire to my electrical box?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Green wires are supposed to be ground. I assume it's connected to the meter case or conduit? If so, it's a safety ground, which you definitely want to have. Hydro, phone, cable TV etc. are all supposed to be grounded to a common point. That cable guy just used the meter as a convenient point. Just make sure it's a solid connection. I saw one a few years ago that wasn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, thanks for the tip. I take it then that the wire was not intended to monitor the connection inside the box.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Ya it is def just a ground with more than likely the ground in the ped was bad so just grounded it at the CSE (grey box) just cause it was easier. The ground has to be there to make sure the line stays stable other wise you get pixilation and what not.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I had Rogers Home Phone installed yesterday. All the work was done inside - all of it was inside the box built around the fuse panel, in fact, since that is where Rogers and Bell lines ran into the house as well.

The tech took the time to look at the Rogers box on the outside of the house, and noticed that there was no ground wire. He ran a wire to the external electrical box, as described earlier in this discussion.

Are the techs under orders to check the external connections as well? His work for the Home Phone install was done and he could have left, but he installed the ground wire, and ensured that the cables inside the gray Rogers box had good ends, and even put additional caulking around the hole where the cable runs into the house. I was impressed!

He also opened the Bell box and unplugged the RJ11 plug inside it. Rather amusing - the Bell box has a lock, but the lock is on the cover only. Under one bolt and the box opens, taking the lock with it. Duh!

·
Registered
356 Posts
The ground has to be there to make sure the line stays stable other wise you get pixilation and what not.
For real?! I get pixilation and "what not" all the time. I'm pretty sure my outside cable box is not grounded; I'll have to check after work. Not sure how that can be done though since the electric meter/service entrance is nowhere near the cable box.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
^^^^
The ground connection, to the building ground, is for safety only. It should have no effect on the signal. With coaxial cable, the signal is confined to within the cable, unless there's a fault somewhere. Grounding does not affect that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the tip, 57. I'll check tonight.

Actually, Rogers installed the box after they took over ACI. All ACI did was drape a cable from the main line across my neighbour's yard to my garage, and then run more cable in the eavestroughs and down to a splitter dangling in mid-air from a couple of existing RG59 cables that ran into the house. Rogers eventually buried the cable, installed the box, ran new RG6 cables and attached them to the house properly. They also installed a splitter/signal booster after a very long run (about 20m) to the other side of the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts