Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
I suppose it is possible that Bell changed their firmware and now doesn't allow EHDs to be used on another appropriate receiver. Perhaps someone with BellTV will be able to test moving an EHD to another appropriate receiver and provide feedback here...

Your test seemed pretty conclusive, but I'm not with BellTV.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
it displays 'Warning 866 The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another bell tv receiver. USB storage devices may only be used with one receiver at a time.'
This suggests that the feature was removed intentionally. I can confirm that this did work at one time. Bell even touted their external drive as "record forever" as multiple drives could be used with one receiver. They didn't tout "playback forever" though. It's possible that there is an issue with the drive. Drive portability could have been removed as a feature and I doubt most customers would notice. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done due to pressure from broadcasters or copyright holders. The use of multiple drives with one receiver may have been disabled as well.

Another option that once worked was copying programming from one drive to another. It was accomplished by copying the program files from one external drive to another external drive using Linux. It was great for recovering programming from a corrupted drive, making programming available on a second receiver or upgrading an external drive. It's a long, tedious process so it's not something I would want to do often. Having a dedicated Linux computer might make it more manageable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, ExDilbert. I have been running some experiments, and here is the current situation with two 9241 receivers, both software V377, both activated on the same account. An external drive can be formatted on a receiver, and with no programming stored on the drive, it can be moved to another receiver and is recognised as a valid external drive, but is of course empty. As soon as a program is archived on the external drive, the drive is no longer recognised by the other receiver.

I have been able to use my dedicated Linux computer to move files from one external drive to another, but the files are accessible only on the receiver they originated from.

My original intent was to guard against losing all my recorded programming due to hardware failure (which has already happened to me once) using an external drive and a second backup receiver, but it looks like that is not possible unless I could somehow roll back the firmware in the second receiver to a version before the external drive swapping feature was disabled, but that is beyond my capabilities.

My new plan is to take my original receiver offline, and use it to only view my archived content, and use the second receiver for day to day viewing, hopefully extending the lifetime of both of them. My question now is, can anyone tell me. with the current software version, how long a 9241 disconnected from an antenna will be able to view archived material? I have searched the site and the answers seem to range from a month to forever?

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
I could watch material on the internal drive with a 9242 for about a year after it was disconnected from the dish and the account closed. By then I was ready to sell the receiver so it was no loss. If the account is still acive, there is no reason to disconnect it from the dish other than lack of wiring.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
To continue in that vein...if you leave your receivers connected to your dish...even after you cancel the service...they still work and will broadcast all channels that are in "FreeView"...even record them if you had a program scheduled to record.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Bell Satellite 9241 PVR using a Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive (STAC1500100) no sleep, it worked perfectly. After the 9241 internal hard drive died. Switched to a Bell Satellite 9500 Whole Home PVR. Thought could attach the Seagate HD to the new 9500 PVR, it sees the USB harddrive, says it is formatting the external drive but it doesn't. What external hard drives(specs) will work with the 9500?

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
I don't recall this question being asked before, probably because not that many people need additional storage with the 9500. According to the Facts Link in post 1 of this thread, the drives from the 9241, etc are not compatible (able to be read) with the 9500. I'm guessing you don't care about that, but if the drive was formatted by the 9241, then the 9500 may not "like" it. Perhaps if you format the drive in a computer, then the 9500 may then be able to work with the eHDD, but perhaps not because the 9500 is part of a (WHPVR) system and the 7500s may not be able to "see" the eHDD, causing problems.

The 9500/7500 firmware may simply not allow it.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
I would try formatting the drive with a PC. Windows might not recognize it but that can usually be solved by opening an administrator shell prompt and using diskpart to clean and format the drive. Diskpart can be a little cryptic to use but the help command is useful. The steps would generally be something like: list disk, select disk <number>, list part (to make sure it is the right disk), clean, create partition, list part, select part <number>, format, exit.

1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts