Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1121 - 1129 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Which files to copy

Just bought a new EHD to replace the one I dropped on the floor, loaded Ubuntu on my computer (first time using Linux) and would like to know what files to copy from the old drive to the new one.

I formatted the new drive on my 9242 and archived one program so I have something to look at. I can see one 3GB and three, 500GB and one 389GB partition. The last 500GB has a folder (one on the bottom as displayed on Ubuntu) with 4 files in it, 3 small files and one that is 1.3GB, guessing it is the program. (2TB Verbatim with a Toshiba HD inside) So do I copy the folder with the 4 individual files in it to the new drive, and put it in the same last 500GB partition?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Formating External Drive back to PC

Hey Guys. So I have 3 Bell Boxes. Each one had a WD external Drive which I had bought to use it as PVR.

But no one is watching TV anymore. Is there anyway to format these WD Drives so they can work with PC?

When I hook up to PC....it does not show as drive. I see it in Disk Management, but won't allow me to format it.

Thanks for you help,
Spacy.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
You should be able to re-partition / format it within the disk management tool. The reason is the bell receiver formatted the drive with a different file allocation table than windows uses

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
If you can see the drive in disk management, you may be able to delete the Linux partitions and re-partition the drive in Windows, then format it.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
The issue is that Windows and Windows Disk Manager will sometimes refuse to recognize or do anything with the disk if it has been formatted with an unknown (to Windows) file system layout. Wiping it with zeros using a disk wipe utility always works. It's usually only necessary to wipe the first few tracks but wiping the entire disk will test the entire disk surface. In extreme cases I've had to wipe the drive using a Linux system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy here. Can't find the new post selection so I will try this for now. Have had a 9242 for 13 years now. Lightning strike nearby fried the PVR. So I purchased a 9500 to replace it. I was told by the installer that I could view the EHDs that I have on the new 9500, because it is the same account as the old 9242. I tried it and it asks that I re-format the EHD. So far it seems to be bad news. Is there a way to either get the 9500 to accept the EHDs or a way to get the data in those EHDs transferred. I have 3 EHDs and a lot of recordings. Thanks. Tazzman1.

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
So I purchased a 9500 to replace it.
As discussed in the following post in the "Facts" thread, the drive is "incompatible" with the 9500.

You can still view the eHDDs on any of the other 9XXX series PVRs, but the technician was incorrect about the 9500 or simply on the same account since the 6XXX are incompatible with the 9XXX.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Does the drive have a letter attached to it? With disk management you may be able to assign the drive a letter.

1121 - 1129 of 1129 Posts