Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1149 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Which files to copy

Just bought a new EHD to replace the one I dropped on the floor, loaded Ubuntu on my computer (first time using Linux) and would like to know what files to copy from the old drive to the new one.

I formatted the new drive on my 9242 and archived one program so I have something to look at. I can see one 3GB and three, 500GB and one 389GB partition. The last 500GB has a folder (one on the bottom as displayed on Ubuntu) with 4 files in it, 3 small files and one that is 1.3GB, guessing it is the program. (2TB Verbatim with a Toshiba HD inside) So do I copy the folder with the 4 individual files in it to the new drive, and put it in the same last 500GB partition?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Formating External Drive back to PC

Hey Guys. So I have 3 Bell Boxes. Each one had a WD external Drive which I had bought to use it as PVR.

But no one is watching TV anymore. Is there anyway to format these WD Drives so they can work with PC?

When I hook up to PC....it does not show as drive. I see it in Disk Management, but won't allow me to format it.

Thanks for you help,
Spacy.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
You should be able to re-partition / format it within the disk management tool. The reason is the bell receiver formatted the drive with a different file allocation table than windows uses

·
Registered
10,511 Posts

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
The issue is that Windows and Windows Disk Manager will sometimes refuse to recognize or do anything with the disk if it has been formatted with an unknown (to Windows) file system layout. Wiping it with zeros using a disk wipe utility always works. It's usually only necessary to wipe the first few tracks but wiping the entire disk will test the entire disk surface. In extreme cases I've had to wipe the drive using a Linux system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy here. Can't find the new post selection so I will try this for now. Have had a 9242 for 13 years now. Lightning strike nearby fried the PVR. So I purchased a 9500 to replace it. I was told by the installer that I could view the EHDs that I have on the new 9500, because it is the same account as the old 9242. I tried it and it asks that I re-format the EHD. So far it seems to be bad news. Is there a way to either get the 9500 to accept the EHDs or a way to get the data in those EHDs transferred. I have 3 EHDs and a lot of recordings. Thanks. Tazzman1.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
So I purchased a 9500 to replace it.
As discussed in the following post in the "Facts" thread, the drive is "incompatible" with the 9500.

You can still view the eHDDs on any of the other 9XXX series PVRs, but the technician was incorrect about the 9500 or simply on the same account since the 6XXX are incompatible with the 9XXX.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Does the drive have a letter attached to it? With disk management you may be able to assign the drive a letter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I am in a similar situation but I want to copy the files from one hard drive to another, but don't know which files to copy. Could someone please tell us what files need to be copied? There are 3 different file extensions and it looks like each of them is associated with a " recorded program". Are all 3 required or just the large 3GB files?

Also, can the files be copied using a Linux system, from an EHD from a 6xxx receiver to another EHD that has been formatted on a 9242? This would be my only option as my 6xxx receiver is not working.

Thanks

As discussed in the following post in the "Facts" thread, the drive is "incompatible" with the 9500.

You can still view the eHDDs on any of the other 9XXX series PVRs, but the technician was incorrect about the 9500 or simply on the same account since the 6XXX are incompatible with the 9XXX.
Here's another link:

1. Don't know if you are able to transfer your recordings off the old 9242 onto an eHDD, and then get the eHDD properly recognized, but that would be the easiest.

2. Then there's the "rip" thread link in the same post. I can't help you with that. Perhaps someone else here can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had a 9241 replaced with a 9400. Want to buy a new external hd, is 2 TB really the max? Why wouldn't a larger one work?
I know 5400 rpm works fine, even tho they say 7500.
And the WD MyBook drive we have filled with recordings from the 9241, will those play on the 9400? I would think, or hope, so.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
The 2TB limit is a hardware and operating system restriction. That's a well known limit of 32 bit hardware and software. If either is 32 bit, it simply does not recognize anything over 2TB, including drives and files.

5400RPM drives have several advantages, including lower noise and lower power consumption. For applications like PVRs, it's best to use a video surveillance drive since they are optimized for video recording and playback. Another advantage is that they usually have longer warranties and life spans than general purpose drives.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
@raysaint : Your post was moved to this existing thread. Per post 2 of the following "facts" thread, there is a 2TB limit and the 9400 EHD is compatible with the 9241. The 9500 is not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All...I posted this in another thread but wanted to posted in here as well given this is the proper thread. It has to do with External Hard Drives used with 9400/9241 and whether they are able to be used with a 9500. I know the external hard drive facts said they are not compatible but I have contacted and spoke with a couple of different customer service reps at Bell and they both said that it will work, but I am skeptical. The reality is I have an external hard drive that has a lot of shows on it and while I would like to upgrade my receiver, I don't want to lose them. Has anyone tried lately to see if the external hard drives work as maybe there was a software update to allow them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not sure if I just have a faulty understanding of what to expect, or if there is anything I can do to fix this situation, but I have a 9241 receiver, and have recently purchased a second one used. I have activated the second receiver on my account, and can view channels. The problem is that I have an EHD from my original receiver with many programs on it. My understanding is that I should be able to attach this EHD to the second receiver, the same model, active on the same account, and watch the recorded shows, but when I plug it in, it tells me that the external device was configured for a different receiver, and must be reformatted to be used with this receiver. I contacted Bell, and they claim that this is how it is supposed to function. (and I know Bell wouldn't lie to me...) Is there a way to watch the recordings on the second receiver, or am I out of luck? I really thought from the information here that it would just be plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
57,106 Posts
According to the Facts in post 2 of the following Facts Thread, link below, you should be able to connect the EHD to an identical receiver. Make sure you do not format the drive, otherwise your recordings are lost.

• External hard drive on the 9242/41/9400 can be moved to another 9242/41/9400 receiver on the same account.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to the Facts in post 2 of the following Facts Thread, link below, you should be able to connect the EHD to an identical receiver. Make sure you do not format the drive, otherwise your recordings are lost.

Thanks for the response 57, and thanks for the warning, I have a second blank external drive I am using to try to figure out this situation. It certainly does say in the facts post 2 that I should be able to do this, but when I format the external drive on either receiver, archive a show, and move it to the other receiver, it displays 'Warning 866 The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another bell tv receiver. USB storage devices may only be used with one receiver at a time.'

1121 - 1140 of 1149 Posts