Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be copying 500GB of data over from an EXT2 formatted drive to an NTFS drive. The drive will be connected via an external enclosure using eSATA to Windows XP Pro. I want to run a few tests on the drives and look at the SMART data as well. I have two identical drives (one of the drives from RAID1 config has issues hense this exercise). I don't trust the NAS to rebuild the RAID so I plan to back up the data and reformat from scratch. I also want to change from a RAID1 config.

I plan to use EXT2IFS. Good idea? Will I be able to compare the data using this method? I am not looking for a complicated solution, just have it do what I want and move on. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So any EXT2IFS users? I already have HDDSCAN installed. It is a fantastic and tiny little program for examining the S.M.A.R.T. information and disk capabilities.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it turns out I did not have to compare the data at all. One drive will not spin up. So that explains the degraded RAID status. :). The other drive works perfectly. First disk I have had to RMA'ed too. And 1 month left on the warranty!

EXT2IFS was easy to install. No reboot required and you can VIEW properties/COPY/PASTE etc the same as a FAT or NTFS volume. Some of the other tools only allowed you to "SAVE" the files.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts