Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that Dish Net in the USA has on demand movies and channels just like cable on demand. Does anyone know if Bell has any plans to introduce VOD for the ExpressVu PVR's?! This is the reason why I left Expressvu for Cogeco but would go back to Bell if they did this, thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
It is not the same at all as reg vod.What they do is send a selections of so many movies to you box and you then pick from there its very limited.I have heard bell does plan on doing this eta is jan 2009.How ever the cost is really going to scare alot of people away.Take rogers a movie costs $6.00 on the bell system it will cost $10.00.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is not the same at all as reg vod.What they do is send a selections of so many movies to you box and you then pick from there its very limited.I have heard bell does plan on doing this eta is jan 2009.How ever the cost is really going to scare alot of people away.Take rogers a movie costs $6.00 on the bell system it will cost $10.00.
I heard that they are planning to integrate the use of their RJ11 or RJ45 port on their receivers so it will be a true VOD solution. Have a look at what Dish has done. ExpressVu will just follow the leader.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
ltldev, so is Dish delivering movies over high speed internet?

If Bev is doing that, what is the liklihood that many users could use it? I mean most folks can't plug in a phone line so how are they going to plug in an Ethernet cable? (not to mention what are the bandwidth implications?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have read a while back that this is how they wanted to implemented this and am currently trying to find proof of this somewhere. Their info is very vague on their website. I don't see how they would be able to have VOD in any other way unless you have to wait to download the movie via the SAT stream.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oh well...I can't find any information on it anymore.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have family are friends who work for bell.It is almost impossible for them to have a true vod system with out charging there customers a arm and leg.At any given time there will be 500 movies and shows.You really can't compare expressvu to dish/dtv.As they have more then 10 time the customers.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If they were to utilize the internet access that most people have as well as the ethernet feature, then I don't think it would be difficult at all or expensive. Cable companies basically do that now with their current setup. As mentioned above, many people don't have access to ethernet cabling near their receivers just as they don't have phone cabling.

I don't think I would ever use VOD anyway, but I'm just curious to how they would implement it.

Of course you can't compare Dish to ExpressVu seeing that the population of the states is far beyond that of Canada which is why ExpressVu Piggy-backs off the ideas of Dish. Just like when Dish gets new mpeg4 receivers, Bell is to follow. The question is now that Dish has VOD, how do they do it and does ExpressVu plan on it as well?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
AFAIK dish VOD is bits of movies saved on harddrive. I think the way it works is a predetermined amount and selection automatically get recorded on your hardrive. If you don't select to view it then it deletes and starts the next one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dish Network has a feature called Dish ONLINE to stream movies and other events to the PVR's via ethernet.
There is a thread about this with screenshots over at SatelliteGuys.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
OK, so let's be clear: what's being bandied about here as "On Demand like the cable guys do" is NOT POSSIBLE via Bell ExpressVu using existing satellite technology.

There is one service from DishNet which reserves a portion of YOUR hard drive space on your PVR to download a handful of movies that are locked to your drive. (Note also: this is not live streaming; it is pre-recorded content only.) If you choose to watch them, you buy them just like PPV, except you can fast forward, rewind, etc for 24 hours. But this is not what cable offers. Rogers, to take one example, offers 3000 movies and shows across 16 or more different services, some free, some subscription and some 24 hr PPV. The DishNet model will provide you, at best, a dozen or so feature movies at any one time. And whether you watch them or not, you'll be sacrificing precious hard drive space on YOUR PVR for the "privilege".

The second option is somehow magically making On Demand for satellite customers using the phone line. Hello! This is no longer satellite TV, is it?

There are a couple of variations here: but they depend on ditching satellite technology and moving to some form of wireline TV -- such as Verizon FiOS in the US which delivers a fibre optic link to your living room or the considerably inferior "fibre-lite" option AT&T U-Verse is using delivering fibre somewhere to the neighbourhood and hoping 500 or more homes will get "good enough" TV over their twisted pair legacy telephone wire. On Demand is possible using this route but, again, it's not available from Bell yet and it has nothing to do with ExpressVu satellite.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
This is a download service, not an On Demand service. You choose what you want in advance or select from some content pre-downloaded to your HD PVR and then pay for it to view it.

Again, do you want to give back precious PVR space to Bell in order to have them sell you more stuff and you can record less of what you want?

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is a download service, not an On Demand service. You choose what you want in advance or select from some content pre-downloaded to your HD PVR and then pay for it to view it.

Again, do you want to give back precious PVR space to Bell in order to have them sell you more stuff and you can record less of what you want?
Yes it is a on demand service. Rogers, nor do any other cable company define what VOD means. Dish just uses two data pipes in order to utilize their available programming. And the online service has nothing to do with pre-allocating space on your PVR. That's a different service offering.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You are incorrect. This new service they have is an On Demand service that lets you purchase a movie and then download it and start watching it after it has a large enough buffer. Did you read the linked thread before you posted?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You are incorrect. This new service they have is an On Demand service that lets you purchase a movie and then download it and start watching it after it has a large enough buffer.
If its downloading and requires a hard drive to record the movie then its a downloading service.

I can use VOD at Rogers with any digital terminal because the movie is stored on Rogers servers and served up on demand without having to locally store it.

Could you use ExpressVu on demand with a 2700 or 6000. If not then its a download service.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.