Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had to abandon my Star Choice system, including my recently purchased DSR-500 because of a career change. I was wondering if we might be able to have a forum for ExpressVu for Condos. This seems to be an emerging technology offered by Bell. I would like to know a couple of things if anyone has the answers.

1) Will there be an offering from Star Choice for Condo's or apartments?
2) I went to the website http://expressvu.logient.com/en/condoTV, however I couldn't find any references to High Def TV offered by this service, is it coming?
3) What are the limitations of this technology to date?
4) What's next for this technology
5) How mature is it? Has it been around a while in the US and
6) Has it been successful or full of problems

·
Registered
147 Posts
I looked iinto it a few months back myself and started this thread:

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19828&highlight=condo

When I contacted BEV no one there really seemed to know much about the service. I ended up going with Roger's as I wanted HD and I was able to figure out that BEV didn't offer HD. I am actually quite impressed with the service and I am hooked on my 8300HD PVR. I wouldn't switch away from Roger's unless BEV came out with an a similar PVR.

If you'd like, a BEV rep is scheduled to be in my building this coming Thursday. If you's like, I can pose your questions to him / her and see what the response is. Don't hold your breath though - most of these people just want to sell the service and actually have very little product knowledge. Let me know if ya want to hit this person up with your questions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
1.Haven't heard anything from *C about a similar service. Do they even have a PVR yet?

2. The current hardware used in the TV for Condos can't do HD. The Motorola box they use is a pretty sweet piece of equipment though.
http://expressvu.logient.com/pdf/RG2200_Datasheet.pdf

3. No HD, no PVR, maximum 10.5Mb/s download rate (remember, this box hooks up to 3 TV's, does high speed internet, and VOIP. 10.5 Mb/s does not seem like a lot of bandwidth if you're using all those services.)

4. Don't know, but one would presume it will only get better and allow for things like VOD.

5. Don't know.

6. Bell tested this service in 3 Toronto area condos long before it was made available. All the customer feedback I've ever seen on it has been more than positive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
shaner said:
6. Bell tested this service in 3 Toronto area condos long before it was made available. All the customer feedback I've ever seen on it has been more than positive.
Actually, that is a good point. I have talked to several people in my building who have the BEV service and they all agree that the service BEV currently provides is excellent in regard to picture quality, customer service etc. Seems like BEV is doin' the best with what they have until they can grow the service and take it to the next level.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's interesting because the specsheet for the Motorola box does not mention HD. Usually when something's not mentioned in a feature list, that item doesn't do it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
IIRC, it's a BEV / Bell issue as to why they can't do HD right now and not a H/W issue with the box. That is itself is good news as at least the H/W in place is not a roadblock :).

·
Registered
19 Posts
PVR for Bell ExpressVu Multiple Dwelling Units

I just got off the phone with Bell ExpressVu for Condos technical support and they said that they have contacted Motorola in order to update/upgrade the set top boxes to support HD and PVR. They hope to have this available sometime in 2005.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have Bell's VDSL service. If you have any specific questions, PM me, or post them here so everyone can see them.

Personally, I prefer Roger's picture quality (I have their 8300HD and 3200). However, I keep Bell for RFO and Planete, both which are not offered by Rogers. :(

·
Registered
961 Posts
LINKAGE

nem, who says 'here is a link you might find helpful'

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Logan21 said:
Wysiwyg,

Can you provide information on how VDSL works, and perhaps pricing on such a plan?
How it works...

Bell installs a fibre link to your condo building and then uses your exisiting internal phone wiring to feed a dedicated 22 MB link from the local CR in the basement. I believe that it is enough for you to support 3 separate video feeds (at 6 Mb each) + you regular internet at up to 4 Mb. They are able to achive such a high speed because your CR (switching station is local-in the basement).

As for pricing, it is the same except that since the rental of the receiving is considered "free" or included: They reduce they monthly basic package by $5 and then charge the $5 rental fee for the one and only receiver you need. You get the same channels as what is offered via satellite (all sats), less any HDTV and interactive services.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
No, it means that your receiver can support 3 separate channels.

You have 3 remotes (UHF) and you can watch separate programming on each TV. The TV connected to the main receiver can use S-Video, composite or VHF output (Channel 4).

The other TVs in the house MUST use VHF (Channels 8 and 13). As a result, the picture is fair (at best) and in monorial sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I moved to a condo where the ExpressVu was set up by the condo owner (I'm renting from someone). I moved my Sympatico High-Speed service to the condo, but found it didn't work. I've since discovered that I have to connect my computer to the RG2200 box, and ditch my modem.

In between me trying to get my service working and discovering this golden nugget of info, I've had an inept tech over who didn't know about VDSL, and have talked to techs who told me I have to cancel my account and get the condo owner to subscribe to Sympatico instead (they swore it was a billing problem that was causing this incompatibility).

Anyway, on the back of my RG2200 box, there's a hole in the back showing a slot where one would connect the ethernet port that I could hook my service into. Can I order this port and connect it in to the box to get my service going, or is there more going on behind the scenes, and will I actually have to get my service changed over to the condo owner's account?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
When I got EVFC I specifically asked to keep my DSL modem since the computer was in a separate room and I didn't want cabling going around the rooms. The day of the install, my DSL connection died, and when the tech arrived he did not have any instructions to keep the DSL line. To make a long story short, I previously had ExpressVu and simply had the connection switched from the external modem to the setup box. My account remained the same. I was sent a return kit to return the modem.

Now, 6 months later, I cancelled my Sympatico altogether, but kept ExpressVu. Bell sent me another return kit for the modem. The problem is: The modem is the setup box! I called them and they are suppose to update the records. Yeah, like if it was going to be that easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ExpressVu for Condos + Sony KV36HS420

Last Friday I got ExpressVu for Condos installed. The service is connected to a brand new 36" Sony KV36HS420. Problem is that I see lots of jagged edges on picture. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the ExpressVu in general, just ExpressVu for Condos, or is a problem with the de-interlacer (DRC) in the Sony TV.

Anyone else have experience or suggestions in this area?

Thanks, -James

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to follow up on my progress with the EVFC + Sympatico service problem...

When I first called Bell, I called the wrong lines - no-one I knew understood that I was using EVFC, and hence no-one knew that it had to go over the VDSL line. As a result, my service plain wouldn't work, and I got passed off to anti-tech support who (in an effort to get me off the line) told me I had to cancel my service and get the condo owner to sign up for the Sympatico service.

At my wit's end, I tried another number - one from an EVFC brochure given to me when I got the place. And wouldn't you know it? I don't have to cancel my account or anything - they switched the account to the VDSL line right away, got me signed up for the wireless modem, and are sending a tech out to me next Thursday! (A competent, VDSL tech this time.)

I'm really glad I came to this resolution - I didn't want to terminate my Sympatico service.

My only complaint would be that Bell support wasn't informed enough to know about the EVFC service and to direct me to that line in the first place - it would have saved me a lot of headache and time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HD update

Well I had the representatives from Bell come to my condo last week and I was quite aware that I would have to start out without any HD if I signed up with the expressvu for condos. I was asking the tech guy who was there about the hookup (they had setup a demonstration in our common room), I also asked him about the reason their was no HD. He said they are very close to releasing the HD/PVR version for condos and indicated probably end of August or September. Makes sense when you think about it since it would be right before the start of the new tv season.

So i've decided to switch to Bell (good riddance to Rogers) and I'll have to sacrifice HD for a few months (but reap the rewards of a promotional discount). It won't be so bad, It's all reruns in the summer anyway. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
technoguppy said:
1) Will there be an offering from Star Choice for Condo's or apartments?
There are lots of condos in the London area with SC central satellite systems. A friend of mine has a vacation condo in Collingwood that has a SC central system as well. He leaves 1 receiver up there and has a regular SC system at home. Good deal - only 1 bill.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts