Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any external HDD and like the 9242, I'm pretty sure you can switch external drives so you'll be able to archive stuff onto multiple hard drives.

You won't however be able to plug the drive into your computer and watch tv.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Excellent. I wonder how big a disk we'll be able to add? 750GB or 1TB would be great! That would solve my PVR storage needs.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Reading the dish site the HDD is min. 40GB up to 750GB.

Makes me think twice for sure but still am unhappy about not having the 55hr HD main drive.

They should activate this on the 9200 :)

·
Banned
79 Posts
I am speechless,1`s move in years that makes sense. I have a 6100 for my Son, he is complaining about not being able to tape HD, well here is an answer, he has enough extra HDD`s kicking around. Wow!!! that is all I can say, BEV is doing somthing right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might want to reread the specs on the 6141, the original thread states that the USB is for future use. Which means that it currently is disabled.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bell said at CES that the USB 2.0 will be active on both the 6141 and 9242. What I don't know is when the firmware update will occur but they demoed a HDD connected to it at CES so its going to happen.

Pat Button alluded to this to me in our conversation in October.

In The ExpressVu 9242 HD PVR Interview he said they were going to open it up for photos but obviously its going to be more as noted at CES

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well if it happens it may change their rental business model. The HDPVR rents for $20 and Hd unit for $10 (not sure if rentals are still available). Because if the 6141 is true - I'll rent one of those and buy an external Hard drive

·
Banned
1,302 Posts
So you pick up a 6141 and a Archos for your HDD, and take the Archos with you as a portable media device, (also play mp3's/m4a, surf the web with opera browser, stream video from your pc, and watch your recorded shows).

Sounds awesome!!;)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Is there a link to EXACTLY what Bell announced at CES.?
Probably not. Bell wasn't actually at CES; although Pat Button recorded that marketnews promo at the Dishnet booth. Nothing at the booth was actually branded ExpressVu which is why the video doesn't show anything about ExpressVu.

Bell buys all equipment from Dishnet (now renamed EchoStar since the purchase of Slingbox) and then sticks their logo on the boxes. When this becomes a reality, Bell will issue a formal press release; in the meantime this is the VP of Marketing giving us a preview.

Although Pat's name has been tossed around a few times here, I think that may be the first time I'd seen his picture. I expected someone "older" -- 50s -- instead of the relatively youthful ... 40? ... exec.

·
Whilst I appreciate that you quoted my post, SesualPoet, I was asking a Question about the post prior to mine from Hugh, in which he stated,
Bell said at CES that the USB 2.0 will be active on both the 6141 and 9242
, so I believe you would have been better to Quote Hugh rather than myself, as it was he that made the first reference to an announcement from Bell, not I.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd buy this tomorrow if it had the PVR functionality enabled. Seems like a better deal than the 9242 for those that don't need dual tuners and want the ability to add their own drive.

Does anyone know when this might be enabled?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Pat Button said "Later this year", so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth......lol
Ya I heard that but that seemed to be in regards to the 9242 I thought, seemed to imply the 6242 might have it form launch but with Bell who ever knows...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am speaking with Bell today to discuss the 6141 and the new functionality. At this point, we only know "later this year" so please people read post #1 and stop asking when!

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.