Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm also on Teksavvy cable (15/1) and having voice quality problems, although I get some breakup/choppiness on incoming voice as well. I set up my SPA2102 using Mango's guide and have tried different RTP settings, to no avail.

To check my cable connection and routing quality I used Ping Plotter to monitor my line quality to various Voip.ms servers over a couple days and my Teksavvy connection (from Toronto) appears to be solid to all the destinations: low pings, low jitter and no ping loss. So I would think that despite the coincidence of endiz and I both having problems, the problem seems more likely to be on the side of Voip.ms. For another test, on the advice from someone I uploaded a continuous test tone WAV file to voip.ms and set up an IVR with an option to listen to the WAV file. When I call, from either a POTS line or other line, and trigger the IVR test tone, I hear periodic blips in the test tone which should not be there. Doesn't this sound lik efurther evidence of a routing or server problem on Voip.ms's end?

I have opened a ticket with a detailed report of my troubleshooting so far but the response so far was just to switch servers. I have since switched from Toronto2 to Chicago servers and encountered voice problems at least as bad.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Are you using your SPA2102 as your router? If not, what router are you using?

Do you have audio quality issues only with incoming calls or also outgoing calls? If it only happens on incoming calls then it's likely you're dealing with a carrier issue.

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, I would remove all devices from your network (including wireless devices) and call the echo test at 4443. See if the problem persists. If you are having issues with multiple servers it's possible we're dealing with a QoS issue.

m.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mango, I thought I was responding to endig in the voip.ms thread, who reported similar problems with voip.ms over teksavvy cable. I'm not sure how I ended up opening a new thread, but thanks for the response.

My router is a WRT54GL v.1.1 with Tomato 1.28-ND. I do have QOS enabled with a rule to assign the ATA's mac address highest priority.

My periodic audio problems happen whether I make or receive the calls. And they happen even when there is no other internet activity taking place. They do seem to happen less, say, when talking to someone locally in Toronto on a POTS line than to various people I keep in touch with in Calgary (some even on a POTS line). And so far I have encountered problems while on Toronto2 and Chicago.

I don't notice much on the echo test other than the normal slight delay.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As well, try making rules to assign L7 SIP and L7 RTP highest priority. Also you should limit all other traffic. For troubleshooting purposes, we'll start with strict limits and if you have success you can raise them. Let's limit all other upload traffic to 50% (leaving approx 1/2 megabit for VoIP) and limit download traffic to 75% (leaving 3-4 megabit for VoIP).

Obviously we are reserving much more bandwidth than VoIP requires, however this technique can reduce latency and jitter. Periodically, you should inspect "View Details" to be sure that connections are classified as you intended.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks. For the SIP and RTP rules, do I set them for any protocol or just TCP/UDP as below:

Unfortunately with voip troubleshooting it seems like there are so many determinants that it's hard to isolate the cause. I was having moderate voice quality problems for a while but they got much worse over the last few days. I am not certain about the long term issue, but after reading some posts in the Teksavvy forum at dslreports and doing some line tests this evening, I now think the short term problem is ISP related. I am on the Bloor POI which seems to be suffering some severe congestion.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I should have mentioned it's just UDP. Other than that it looks good. I'd leave Ping Plotter running if you can and check it next time you have an issue. If your node is experiencing congestion it should show up in Ping Plotter.

If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of the Basic Settings page and we'll go from there. For now I'll cross my fingers for you.

m.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts