Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

321 - 340 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have been reading this most of this thread trying to get a grip on working the HD-PVR for use of recording television shows (mostly sports) and some gaming (PS3) before I go out and build my new computer (which will be saving all of these files and will be doing a lot of video editing with these files) I would like to pass my setup through you experts to make sure im not making any mistakes.

A) Recording TV through the HD-PVR onto my PC

1) I will have my cable wire running into the HD-PVR
2) The component cable will run from the (4250HD) Illico box to the Hauppauge HD-PVR
3) The HD-PVR will be connected to my PC via USB where TME will record my shows (I will not be watching live TV on my computer so I assume not having any component out cables running to a tv will not interfere with the recording - also in 1080i)

B) Recording PS3 gameplay through the HD-PVR onto my PC

1) Connect PS3 to HD-PVR through PS3 component cables
2) Connect HD-PVR to PC using USB to record gameplay in 1080i using TME
3) Connect PS3 to monitor via HDMI
**this is where I'm mostly worried, is it possible to record my gameplay through the component cables while having the video come from HDMI to my monitor? I will have two monitors running on my PC so taking one down for full screen gaming while the other displays my PC is no problem for me**

would appreciate some input and also any alternative,
thanks so much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not to rain on this thread, but I recently gave up using my HD-PVR. It never worked perfectly, and typically just stopped working randomly during the day. The fix was I had to reboot daily (using an automated app). That worked, but then it just stopped changing channels. Tried everything to get channel changing to work, to no avail. So I packed it in and now just record SD ClearQam and HD OTA which is so much simplier. I'm stopping my Cogeco HD service, just a waste if I can't record using my computer like I can with OTA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This thread doesn't seem very current, but I'll try this post here anyway..

I have just built a HTPC that includes a Hauppage 2250 card. Apart from eventually using it to record OTA programming, I'm hoping I can use it to archive a few HD recordings from my Rogers 8300HD PVR . Sifting through the various threads it appears I should be able to do this using component cables into the 2250 - is this correct ? If so, is there an adapter or interface that needs to go between the two ?

Firewire also seems to be a possibility, but I've got no firewire in on this machine

·
Super Moderator
56,397 Posts
The 2250 appears to be a card designed for ATSC or clear QAM recording. It has no component video inputs. You need the HD-PVR discussed in this thread or the Colossus, also discussed in the HTPC forum.

You cannot use the 2250 for recording HD from the 8300HD

·
Registered
72 Posts
ok, that settles that then ! Too bad - I have a couple of awesome Space shuttle launches recorded from HDNet that I guess I'll lose when the box goes dead :(

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You may also want to see if you can download HD video of those space shuttle launches from somewhere on the web. Some of this is available on Youtube in better quality than what you have today, such as this clip which is 1080p. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBX6JyesRzI I am guessing that torrent sites may also have video clips but I am not sure of the legality of those as they may be copyrighted material, or they may be in the public domain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the info !

I made an SD copy of it using S-Vid a couple of years ago - the picture is ok, but losing the 5.1 was the biggest loss. The particular launch ( STS 120 ) from October 23rd 2007 was one of the first things I ever pvr'd, and to this day has the best audio of any launch I ever watched/recorded ) and I think I saw them all ). Nothing has shaken the foundations quite like this one !

I guess my Hubble, and Space Station 3D Blurays are a good stand-in as they both have awesome launches, and great house-shaking sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the Hauppauge HD PVR a good device?

I want to record HD programs froms my 8300 HD DVR to my computer.

It seems that the Hauppauge HD PVR would allow me to do that. Is it a good device?

Any other alternatives I should look at?

I do not need anything fancy I just want to be able to record some programs from time to time.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
The current hardware and software is much better than early versions. It works "OK" with the supplied software for recording. It also has some remote TV functionality with software like MediaPortal. However, don't expect to do much more than manually record unless you are willing to do a lot of extra setup. Compared to other PC solutions for recording HD, it's probably the best available, at least at a reasonable price. The Hauppauge Colossus might be slightly better but I don't own one. There is a separate thread on those.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
A rundown of what I know:

Hauppauge has updated to the HD-PVR2. Externally, it adds HDMI in and passthrough.

Avermedia has devices practically comparable to the Hauppauge devices.
Avermedia has as well the GameCap HD, which is a standalone box with HD component encoder that records to its internal HDD, which you can copy from after. You supply the HDD though, separate from the purchase price.

Elgato and Roxio each have component encoders. Roxio have a cheaper one that is 480p only, and a more costly with 1080i spport.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd like to know if the Hauppauge HD PVR or the New HD-PVR2 work with Shaw's Motorola boxes, such as the DCX-3400, using component to USB cable connected to a computer (MacBook Pro).

I realize it might be necessary to disconnect the HDMI cable from the Motorola box, which makes me think there's not much point to wait for the HD-PVR2.

Anyone using the Hauppauge for HD with a DCX-3400?

·
Registered
988 Posts
The Hauppauge HD PVR should work with any device that has component outs. I've used it with the Motorola 3416 and also the Shaw Gateway.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
There have been issues with some devices due to poor quality output. Updated drivers have solved some of them. Audio sync issues are common. I get bad audio sync with the HDPVR-630.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Hauppauge HD PVR should work with any device that has component outs. I've used it with the Motorola 3416 and also the Shaw Gateway.
I'm being a bit cautious, because I've been able to capture HD through FireWire to my MacBook Pro from my DCT6412 III, but not from my DCX3400-M. It gives me M2T files. I can only record non copy-protected programs, but I believe that component recording would allow me to archive anything in HD. (I do my archiving by playing back material I've already recorded on the Motorola PVR.)

Since I do not need to capture live telecasts or change channels, I figure some of the complaints some people have with the Hauppauge would not apply to me. I would have to use the third party software for the Mac, though.

I do not have to hurry, because I can use my present set-up until my DCT6412 packs it in. I haven't figured out if the new Hauppauge HD PVR2 machine would have any relevant advantages over the current model. It doesn't seem to be available in any stores yet, even in the U.S.

Some time ago, I tried an EyeTV HD box, but connected via component to my iMac at the time, I got a stuttering picture. I returned it right away. I noticed recently that my local BestBuy store had several of those on the shelf, marked as "open box", leaving me thinking that its common for people to return them.

Thanks for your previous response.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Audio sync issues are common. I get bad audio sync with the HDPVR-630.
Audio sync would be very important to me, since I'm recording musical programs. Close-ups of singers faces would be distracting, if their lips were not in sync with what they're singing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
meshmellow, I use the Hauppauge 1212 in the mode you describe (convert PVR'ed material to computer files), works fine. Have never had a lipsync or visible quality problem that was not present in the original broadcast.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My Hauppauge 1219 seems to have stopped working two days ago. I cannot get a picture or sound to capture from either of my 3400's (I'm on Shaw). Anyone else getting any issues...with a Shaw 3400 box?

321 - 340 of 352 Posts