Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need some quick direction. My basement development is underway and the drywalling stage is likely only a couple weeks out.

I've been in contact with the Canadian rep in Ontario for Kinetics noise products, however their turnaround on answering questions has not been as quick and concise as I'd like.

I'm hoping some of you with experience with their Iso-Max clips and other products can help.

The rough idea of my HT room is as I mentioned in this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=135204

I've done a staggered stud wall (wood 2x4s on a 2x6 cap) for the two interior walls, and the two exterior walls were done in metal 2x4s (per our home builder).

I'm assuming I'm doing dual layers of 5/8" drywall for the walls and ceiling. And for the ceiling, I'd be using something like the Iso-Max clips. (although the Kinetics rep is also pointing out their new Wave Hangers to me).

Sound isolation from the floor above (Great room, Kitchen) is the primary concern, isolation from adjacent rooms in the basement is a lesser priority.

I'm not necessarily convinced I need to go to the extent of iso-max clips on the walls as well, but I'm open to hearing your opinions. (And if I do go with the clips for the walls, is it only really necessary on the interior walls, or would you pretty much go all the way around the room on all sides?).

Kinetics has indicated they recommend Wave Hangers over Iso-Max clips for the ceiling, however I have not received any relative cost factors from them on the difference.

I also have a friend who built his room using Kinetics ICW spring isolators for the ceiling, which are probably even better, but I imagine are even more expensive and possibly more labor intensive to set up as well.

I'm not really interested in going to the extent of using green glue, or quiet rock, or any other expensive products like that. I'm not looking for total perfection. Just a strategy that gets me a reasonable amount of sound isolation within a reasonable project budget that won't break the bank.

Any direction or tips you can offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I used the kinetics isomax clips and hat channelling for my ceiling in my HT room. Works well.

My weakest link is the door out of my HT room. I have provisions to make it a double door with air seal, but it's actually good enough as is. No one complains about my movies with the door closed, or my COD: black ops sprees.

BTW, If u go with isomax clips, I have several extra that I wouldn't mind selling (miscalculated when I ordered mine)... Let me know how much they cost now, and I can give u a discount on the extras I have laying around.... I believe I have about 10 of them, but I finished the HT in 2008 so it's been a while.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Petee, thanks for the offer. I'm probably going to go with their new Wave Hangers, for the ceiling. But if I should get iso-max, I'll keep your offer in mind.

Both options are actually not that expensive it seems.

BTW, did you bother going to the extent of iso-max clips on your walls as well?

I've done a staggered stud wall, and was thinking of just double-drywalling the walls and calling it done. (I'm more concerned with isolating from floor above, as opposed to room to room within the basement.)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No isomax for the walls.

My room had basically 4 walls. My 2 exterior walls were standard 2x4 studs, with pink insulation.

One staggered stud wall with roxul

One double wall with roxul in both stud cavities.

Double 1/2" drywall on all the walls, with 1.5 tubes of Green Glue per 32 sq feet.
Double 5/8" drywall, Greenglue and isomax clips for the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
inzane,

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97896

The pics are old, there have been updates since then....

How long are u planning are staying in this house?
Do you have young kids?
Does your significant other ever tell you to "*TURN IT DOWN!!!*"?

I think I got 5-6 or so cases of GG. It cost me about $1500. (Can't quite remember it was 2008).

I'm happy with my room, I do not know what proportion each product helped to create it, but it works well together.

Now my kids have started piano lessons.... I have a nice quiet santuary in the basement.

My 720P projector cost me about $1300 in 2008. I love it, but I expect to replace it in a few years with a 1080P model once I wear out one of the 2 bulbs it came with...... I'll not hesitate to drop $2000 +/- on a new one at that time.

My walls, I hope to never replace. We'll be here for another 15+yrs.

Peter

http://blog.pjbj.ca/search/label/home theater

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question. For those of you that have done a suspended ceiling with iso-max (or other) clips.

What did you do at the joint area where the wall meets ceiling? In the Kinetics instructions for both iso-max and wave hangers, you're supposed to run a non-hardening acoustical caulk/sealant all around the edge.

How are you suppose to mud & tape, and paint those edges? :eek:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
inzane,

I didn't caulk the junction between the wall corner. I just mudded and taped. No cracks yet.

P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts