Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone decode what this coaxial wire is and best used for? In my own search user "CSTPW" quoted:

The "9900963" is the ETL listing number for CommScope, which is followed by the appropriate marks for CMG (FT4). These cables are suitable for indoor use.

The 18 AWG is the size of the centre conductor. RG6 = 18 AWG, RG59 = 20 AWG and RG11 = 14 AWG.

The "2010" is simply the year of manufacture.

But what about the other jargon? I wanted to use this cable for a satellite installation outdoors, but also possibly use it indoors between the walls and STB/TV connections? I belive what I was looking for was a RG6 U/L 3.0GHz swept coaxial but do not know if this SHAW cable is best suited for these applications.

Anyone?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. RG6 is typically used for outside wiring or between walls. RG59 is best used indoors from the cable jack to your STB.

The cable you have will suit your needs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are no practical uses for RG59, please avoid this.

Most RG6 can be used outside and in, there is a special type though that does have extra uv sheilding, I can't remember the model # but when you strip it down, the foil is slightly yellowish/green. Your RG6 will last you a good 5-10 years in direct sunlight, uv sheilded or not before you may notice small cracks in it.

Any type of cable can do high frequencies, just certain types attenuate more than others. RG59 is best avoided to the smaller guage of wire attenuating more on higher frequencies (channels). RG6 will do fine for a good 100 ft run. It may start getting iffy past 150ft. Any more and you may want to look into adding a weather resistant pre-amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most satellite installs will use a quad-shield cable (centre pin, dielectric, foil, braid, foil, braid, PVC jacket). All of Shaw's black cable is rated for indoor/outdoor use with the FT4 relating to the fire rating (so fire will not travel down the cable if your house is burning).

You may get some interference/ingress on the cable due to Shaw's cable not being quad shield which is normally mitigated by the higher levels used in a CATV system; however, satellites use much lower power (signal) levels which may cause you alot of issues if there is any ingress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts