Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a network switch to split the ethernet cord going to a pvr or will it effect the tv's picture quality, or will it even work at all. I have an older xbox (don't want to use it as a stb) and a pvr running to the same tv. Running a long enet cord from the router isn't an option.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you put in a Router it should work. When I was on the Minerva, I'm pretty sure I had my router between the Modem and the STB, but the new modems have 4 ports and wireless. You might want to look at upgrade that instead.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Assuming you are already using a router, ie. the Optik triple play modem: You can attach a switch to any of the LAN ports on the router, including the one your stb is connected to.

triple play -> switch -> STB + xbox + whatever.

No need to throw another router in the mix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could go triple play -> router directly, no need for a switch.

However don't connect to the WAN port on the router, plug from a LAN port on the triple play a LAN port on the other router. You can then connect wirelessly and even use it as a switch itself.

Make sure to set it to an IP that wont cause trouble for the triple play, also disable the DHCP server on it. There is a thread about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup. Heres how, but it makes your router an access point in the way it functions.

To connect the second router you first need to give it a static ip address. Something like 192.168.0.253, an address you can remember. Set the gateway and dns to the Dlink address - 192.168.0.254. Turn off DHCP. Set up your wireless settings - make sure not to use the same channel as your Telus router is using. If your Telus router is on channel 6 try using channel 1 or 11.

Now all thats left is to connect a network cable to the LAN (switch) portion of the
router NOT the WAN port.

When you connect wirelessly you should pull up a dhcp address from your Telus router and all should be great. Just so you know I am typing this on my laptop that is connected wireless N through a router set up like I described.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts