Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to connect my WDLive player, BD Player and my reciever to my wireless network. However all these devices have an ethernet connection. I have a wireless network set-up in my house and I want to connect these devices to it. Does anybody know of a device that will plug into the ethernet connection and then connect with my wireless network? Running ethernet cables to them from my router/modem is not an option.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
555 Posts
To BlazeHemi,

What you really need is a powerline networking device. Wired is always better than wireless. See LINK.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Get a wireless router compatible with DD-WRT and install that on it.

You can then have the router "receive" the wireless for its LAN devices, called client bridge mode.

You can even switch the WAN port to another LAN port, allowing 5 devices connected.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Does anybody know of a device that will plug into the ethernet connection and then connect with my wireless network?
You want a wireless Bridge. They typically have 4 ethernet ports.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wireless bridge is useless if you're intending to stream movies, and also share with the media players. You're essentially creating a bottleneck and then having 4 ethernet ports share that bottleneck.

Going wired or powerline is better than wireless when you have many devices on the other end. If you cannot do either, then the next best option would be wireless bridge.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Of course going wired is preferable to going wireless but that is not what the OP asked. OP asked "Does anybody know of a device that will plug into the ethernet connection and then connect with my wireless network?"

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wireless bridge is useless if you're intending to stream movies, and also share with the media players. You're essentially creating a bottleneck and then having 4 ethernet ports share that bottleneck.

Going wired or powerline is better than wireless when you have many devices on the other end. If you cannot do either, then the next best option would be wireless bridge.
Depends on your wireless setup. I use an airport express connected to my WDTV to stream upto 1080p flawlessly. The airport express connects to my main network using 5ghz wireless n.

Hugh is correct, you need a wireless bridge, preferably wireless n for decent streaming results. The trendnet wireless n gaming adapter connected to a switch would work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts