Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question but is it possible to use a couple of cable modems to bridge an ethernetwork over coax?

i.e.

(network)>Cat5>(modem)-coax-(modem)<Cat5<(network)

TIA - Nick

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first question would be why you want to do this. cat 5 cable can be run 100 m without the need of amplification. and then all you need is a cheap switch and you could go another 100 m add another switch and you can go another 100 m.

in regards to if it would work im not sure. i dont believe so, you would need to be able to change config files on both modems to talk to each other and most of the time these are pushed out from the cable companies.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
No, you cannot link Cable Modems. They tx and rx on different frequencies.

What you want is a MoCA adapters, if it is in reasonable distance.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Qavro, could you describe your requirements better? There may be further options we haven't suggested yet, so more info is welcome. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't work

Thanks for all the replies; 1st - it doesn't work; having picked up a couple of Motorola's and worked with them - no configuration possible without HW changes and being a SW guy I don't do that... :eek: These units appear to be designed to work in conjunction with a head end unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

2nd - why do it? the only connection between one end of my place and the other is coax from the cable co. This was laid in before extensive reno's long ago and now it's a major job to run anything else. A Telus V1000H is wired directly to the PVR and so to the TV at one end of the house. But most PC's are far from this little nest of wires, so I have a wireless router at the other end of the house with DDWRT on it acting as a wireless bridge to the Telus box. This works well enough, but is subject to hiccups, as wireless tends to. Actually the quality isn't bad as I had Netflix streaming HD over it with no problem, even tho' it's just 802.11g.

Guess if I want a solid connection I will have to spring ~$200 for a pair of ET/Coax adapters, or somehow run wire outside. Sobeit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts