Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if roughing in netwrok cable to a home thetre room would you need to run a seperate ethernet cable for each component you want to hook up to the network or can you just run one roughed in cable and split it at the home theatre with a swich/ hub right there.

Current setup would be cable modem, router, and swich in furnace room with roughed in network cables branching off from there to areas of the house. So just wondering if one cable to home theatre with an additional swich there can be used to hook up multiple componets there. Or do I just run seperate wires from the switch in the furnace room? Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I just have a switch in my home theatre. Don't know why you'd bother running more than one run unless you wanted Ethernet ports in different parts of the room.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would run 2 or 3 to the theatre room from the head end for a just in case scenario but installing a switch at the rack location would be fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the walls are open, running cable is cheap. I've got a HTPC, with HDHomerun, PS/2, PS/3 and Wii in our stack. Run a couple extra lines just in case. You may want to use one for telephone at some time.

While you're at it, run a few extra RG-6 coax. If you want to save a few cents, just put blank face plates in front of them and terminate them when needed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just did my wiring and I ran 4 ethernet. I could have done 1 with a switch, but I had the cable and it wasn't a big deal.

1 for xbox 360, 1 for ps3, 1 for htpc, 1 for either a/v receiver or my nas.. If my a/v receiver can make use of an ethernet port I will put my nas back at my main network panel. Might do that anyway rather than having the nas sitting on the entertain ment unit and just have an extra for wii or something else..

·
Registered
233 Posts
You want to minimize connection and failure points so adding another switch/router would add another layer to your setup. However, if your main router is already full anyways and you'll add another router, sure, you can dedicate another router for the HT system.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I just have a switch in my home theatre. Don't know why you'd bother running more than one run unless you wanted Ethernet ports in different parts of the room.
Always a good suggestion to run two:
  • In case there is a kink, defect, or later breakage of one of them.
  • Some things like HDMI over Cat-5e requires a pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts