Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wings.. you are amazing. I used what that techie told you, and called back, and 'claimed' that the previous tech I spoke to said some of the smart cards were defective and that I wanted to know if I would be shipped a new one.

Wham bam thank you mam! And he said I am being shipped the new card now 3-5 business days, and to send the old defective one back in the same enveloppe. He also told me (no one else told me this) that my receiver has a built in smart card, and to try to plug in the machine after removing the defective card. I'll try that when I get home. If I have luck with that I will let everyone here know. My receiver model is the 6100 (i think)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Error 005 AFTER carrying out a Card Swap is indeed indicative of the new Card being defective.

Only remedy is replacement.

If you still have the OLD Card, ask if that can be re-activated, until the new card arrives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally Posted by electric
Mine's the 9200, and same error. Just got off the phone with "level 3 tech support" who said that this is a known issue happening nationally to some receivers. They are sending me a new smartcard and said my original one may get fixed automatically in the meantime (3-5 days). I also have a 5900 that is unaffected. I asked if I can put the card from the 5900 into my 9200 while I wait the week for the new card to get here. He had me switch it and will give it a shot. Said it will take 45 minutes to update, so we'll see.
Follow up from this issue - strangest thing. 10 minutes after the call, I got a call from someone else at Bell, something about a technology group. They're interested in investigating my box and card because of the issue, and can they come over right now and swap it out? Sure! They show up an hour later and do just that, and everything's working great - both the 9200 and the 5900. Not sure if it has anything to do with the press release they put out yesterday about same day service, but whatever the reason I have to give them props.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Expressvu 6100 card problem

Hi people, my first post here although I have been a reader for some time.
I have a 6100 that keeps coming up with a 005 or a 019 error which both have to do with the smart card. It has a black screen when this happens and I have to remove the card and reseat it to get the receiver to cycle thru the checks and the program guide before it will start again. This has been happening every night at about 2:00am for the last few weeks, as I usually leave the unit on to record some show or another.
I also have one other 6100 that had some odd problems, but different, about 2 weeks ago as well but they stopped after a few days and it has been Ok since. It is turned off every night though.

I am hoping some one may have some ideas about this or is my receiver on it's way out. The receiver is just over a year old BTW.

TL

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
as I usually leave the unit on to record some show or another.
There is no reason to leave it switched on, it will turn itself on when the timer fires.

Turning it off will also allow it to download any updates it requires.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
And what did Bell say when you called.?

Sounds like they, for some reason, cut off your programming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no reason to leave it switched on, it will turn itself on when the timer fires.

Turning it off will also allow it to download any updates it requires.
I know that would be the best way but unfortunately I have never been able to get feature to work in the system I use here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Step 1 would be to contact Bell and see if they will send you a new card.
That's just what I have done, but always with Bell it takes awhile. After 3 calls I finally managed to get to a senor person who finally said she would send out a new card. She said 3 to 5 business days and I had it in 3 days. The 6100 has now been working for 3 days with no problems.

The activation is another story and went the way many people on this forum have said with having to call tech to get it working after waiting for 5 hours to get the programming updated when they said it would be 30 minutes to 2 hours! Of course once they have you, you get the upsell story after a less than 2 minute period to get all the channels on the receiver! Sure does make you wonder!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marg

I have two receivers for my satellite one is working fine. but I haven't used the other for a while. I turned it on today and I kept getting error 005 Your smart card does not have authorization to view or purchase this program wait or cancel up or down. I was told it would take a few hrs. to load my channels. it's been 5 hrs. I did everything suggested and it still comes up error 005 and cant get any more contact with bell lines are all busy. Lucky I do have one that works. Does this have anything to do with the storm? Thanks, I'm a senior not very tech smart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had these 2 smart cards for years the one that doesn't work was working fine a few months ago it is not defective! and it seems these problems just started with the ice storm.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A receiver that has not been connected tot he satellite will loose its programming. You can leave it connected and wait or you can go to the bell site and sync your receivers. If you want to wait it could take a week or more.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You do not mention the model of your receiver.

The 4100's have been having a problem lately if they were disconnected when a recent software was being pushed out. Then another update followed vary quickly. So if your 4100 was out of the stream when the 2nd update hit, you see this error message.

Try leaving the receiver in the stream, turned off and it should update the software, if that does not fix it, you might have to call Bell and they can remove all programming from the receiver and then add it back.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Reviving a very old thread. My bell boxes were unplugged for a long time. I plugged them all in to get the programming back so I did the sync programming on the site and every one came back except one of my 9242's. After a week I called Bell and they tried a rehit but it didn't help. Tried everything, checkswitch, clear vram I even tried having the tuner 1 on 91 transponder 13 to see if the card would update but it was already on the the latest based on what the other irds in the house have. I do get the free channel if I hit menu and I sometimes get the audio of a subbed channel but no video.
Think it needs a new card?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts