Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea Setanta is hard to watch, I don't remember it being that bad in the past.

Manchester City-Tottenham looked great on TSN2 (via ESPN2) this morning, too bad 2/3s of their studio crew is hard to listen to. It was nice to see a game in HD on Sportsnet, and it was even nicer to see Blackpool play so well.

I watched the halftime on Setanta because I wanted to see what it was like (and because Dobson and Forrest are annoying), and I was impressed. The Premier League showed that it is easily the world leader in producing programming for its league and providing it to broadcasters around the world. My only complain is that those new graphics almost look too flashy.
I personally did not like the half-time premier league show on Setanta......sanitized!!! Bring back fat Pat at half-time and hear the real comments. As for the Setanta HD picture quality it was like that last week when they initially came on air. They certainly know how to screw what could be a good thing up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Premier League showed that it is easily the world leader in producing programming for its league and providing it to broadcasters around the world. My only complain is that those new graphics almost look too flashy.
LOL, thought I was the only one about those graphics. I don't know why they'd switch to bright white... the point of a score bug is not to distract from the action on the field. And shiny graphics are very 3 years ago!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone else have problems with yesterday's TSN2 SD coverage of Manu-Newcastle?

Mostly during the first half, I had about 30 minutes that looked like web-streaming over a too-low bandwidth connection; I'd get an image update about every 3 seconds of playing time. In the second-half, the problem was mostly with the audio. I could live with that.

Just wondering if it was network or something local to me in Ottawa.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Anyone else have problems with yesterday's TSN2 SD coverage of Manu-Newcastle?

Mostly during the first half, I had about 30 minutes that looked like web-streaming over a too-low bandwidth connection; I'd get an image update about every 3 seconds of playing time. In the second-half, the problem was mostly with the audio. I could live with that.

Just wondering if it was network or something local to me in Ottawa.
Looked and sounded OK where I was. (Bowmanville ON)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I didn't notice any problems on Shaw Direct. I was watching in HD, but there shouldn't be a difference because TSN2 SD is just TSN2 HD downconverted and cropped. I don't think it was a TSN or EPL problem. I would say it was a Rogers (or Bell or Shaw Direct depending on who you are with) problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TSN 2 was perfect for me on Bell here in Cambridge. I also think some of this criticism of Setanta HD is a bit OTT. Somewhere else someone said Liverpool v Arsenal was unwatchable. I agree there is some graininess/pixeling in close up shots but overall it is way ahead of last season's SD and generally easy on the eye. Also on non-HD like todays Rangers match the widescreen iS very watchable and again way ahead of last seasons 4:3 on a large screen.
I know it has some weakness c.f. TSN etc. but I think there are some people who just love to criticise Setanta and keep coming out with it. To those people I say just don't pay to take it and leave us who watch it free of this nitpicking. For the equivalent of $4 weekly we get a range of games for a minimum charge and no other channel would pick this up if Setanta disappeared tomorrow as they do not have the space or audience for 24 hour UK sport.

·
Registered
379 Posts
TSN 2 was perfect for me on Bell here in Cambridge. I also think some of this criticism of Setanta HD is a bit OTT. Somewhere else someone said Liverpool v Arsenal was unwatchable. I agree there is some graininess/pixeling in close up shots but overall it is way ahead of last season's SD and generally easy on the eye. Also on non-HD like todays Rangers match the widescreen iS very watchable and again way ahead of last seasons 4:3 on a large screen.
I know it has some weakness c.f. TSN etc. but I think there are some people who just love to criticise Setanta and keep coming out with it. To those people I say just don't pay to take it and leave us who watch it free of this nitpicking. For the equivalent of $4 weekly we get a range of games for a minimum charge and no other channel would pick this up if Setanta disappeared tomorrow as they do not have the space or audience for 24 hour UK sport.
I think the point is they are trumpeting Setanta HD, but the HD quality is just not up to what you see on RSN or TSN. Watching the 3 CL games this afternoon (remote working overtime) and the picture is excellent on both Rogers' games but far below that quality on Setanta.

It makes no sense for Setanta to offer HD on a free preview which, after all, is to entice subscrbers, and then provide a substandard product. You may think it's "good enough", but if they want to have people part with $15.00 a month, they should make it the best it can be, and at the moment, it isn't even close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Boca,
I understand what you are saying but I was taking the view of those who already had Setanta SD playing on a large screen tv. The improvement, even with its weaknesses, is very substantial and with all non HD being widescreen it is also much better with no need to stretch to fit and lose even more resolution.
We can also always hope for a bit of an improvement! I watched a small part of a replay of Liverpool v Arsenal and the close ups seemed to be free of the blights on the live broadcast.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Robin. I'm one of those who subscribed to Setanta from day-1 and all this has done is add to my frustration and disappointment. Don't they care that viewers are not satisfied? They are coming across as a poorly run, cheapskate outfit who give no thought to customer satisfaction.

Why can't they get it right?

Worst of all, I sense Rogers hand in this somewhere behind the scenes. Is it possible that Setanta is such a money loser that we're being set up to be channeled towards Sportnet-1? Yah, conspiracy theory I admit, but something just doesn't fit here. It's like they don't WANT new subscribers to Setanta, bizarre as that may sound.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I can't really speak to Setanta's HD quality, but I do know that their SD picture looks way worse than before. Streams on the internet look much, much better. I'd rather have a good looking SD picture than a picture with a messed up framerate, SD or HD. It doesn't make any sense how they screwed this up and can't fix it, its almost like they can't take the extra bandwidth or something.

Digital79, I'm assuming you mean Europa League game, Liverpool didn't qualify for the Champions League this year. No I don't think it is because TLN's contract only covers the group stage through the final.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This year TO Blue, this year... :)

As for the quality of the HD channel. I do see the bad quality during quick moving images, usually closeups of players running. It's light years ahead of the SD channel but ya not the best HD feed.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts