Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I imagine that ananlog channel 2 Bancroft will be transitioning to digital channel 8 within a year or two, so it might not be worthwhile to put too much effort into a channel 2 antenna.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The Winegard HD8200U specs already has 7 dBd listed as the channel 2 gain. Thats a lot of gain for channel 2. If you arent getting channel 2 now with it, a db or so more isnt likely to help.
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewi...latinum-VHFUHFFM-HDTV-Antenna-(HD8200U)&post=

I think you could get more channel 2 gain with it by having a boom extension on the back, and putting on a 120 inch reflector rod. Obviously this will make the antenna pretty unwieldy and you would have to use at least a 1/2 inch diameter reflector rod. You would also need to brace the back of the antenna more.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Channel 2

Just for clarification it's Channel GBL North Bay not Bancroft. Haven't heard anything about looming change to digital.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Shaw promised the CRTC that they would transition all of Global's transmitters by Aug 31, 2016, so that is a few years off, but worth keeping in mind.

Having said that, I have a lead on a 10Y2S (Cut Channel Yagi for channel 2) which would provide 10dB gain. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Channel 2 reception

On second thought, I think I'm being a little bit picky about the Global reception. It's just a bit weak compared to the others, and it should be - its the furthest transimitter that I'm pulling a signal from. I also identified a faulty splitter that was really hurting my reception... I'm definately not going to add a new antenna with a 17+ feet boom!

Thanks for all the suggestions though..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts