Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Boxing Day I bought the Energy Take Classic and Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III surround sound systems and will keep one of these. The AM10-III were $700 from $1500 and since it was the last one, I bought it; it is still sealed in the box. I then found the Energy Take Classic set for $400 from $900 and bought that too. Both are now back to their "regular" price, although you can get the AM10 Series IV for $1200 and they are on sale for $1000 ... I am told performance-wise the Series III and Series IV are identical .. only the centre channel is housed sideways.

I will install them in the family room 11 ft x 19 ft x 9 ft high with a HK AVR130 (a bit dated) receiver as my surround sound system. TV will be on the 11 ft wall and main couch about 15 ft away and one more couch along the 19 ft side wall. I do not feel like unpacking and setting up both sets and trying them out (call me lazy).

Does anyone have a recommendation, preferably from experience, as to which will sound better? I will primarily watch/listen to movies, but I also like to listen to music ... some classical, but mostly folk, pop, and rock.

P.S. I have a new PSB Image 5.1 surround sound system but they are too bulky for the family room. When I finish the basement they will be the other home theater system. Any recommendations for a receiver for this set that is a good match and that is about $500 (Canadian) or less?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never heard those Bose speakers (kept well clear due to all the slagging), but I couldn't be happier with my Take Classics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would take the Energy over the Bose any day. As for receivers, since your setting a price point of $500, I would look at the Yamaha's or Pioneers, they both have good models somewhat in this price range. You could look at Sony as well. I had one and it was a great receiver. Some of the more "audiofile" members here may have alternate or better suggestions.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hear nothing but good things about Energy (even if they are no longer Canadian and built in China). I own a higher end Energy set myself and I think they sound beautiful along with solid construction. Although I have never owned any, Bose gets a never ending stream of slagging. You have to wonder about a company that will not let showrooms compare other systems to theirs.

As far as receivers go, although there are lots of great receivers under $500, I have been recommending Denons (again, because I own one). Even the starting Denon, the 589, comes with Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. Dynamic Volume evens out the volume levels between sources and during TV commercials and Dynamic EQ keeps a lot of the movie dynamics and impact at lower listening volumes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
having owned Bose 901s and 501s, and now own Energy speakers.

I suggest that you get the Energy speakers, Better sound, cleaner, clearer

·
Registered
375 Posts
A friend of mine recently bought his first proper amp (an HK) and hooked it up to his existing Bose 301s and 201s and his JBL sub. When he expressed unhappiness with the sound I suggested he try some other speakers if he had a set around the house (he did, an older set of Paradigm Titans).

The next day, he traded all his Bose in at Cash Converters, and filled out the rest of his HT with Paradigms.

Personally, I have Athenas (a close relative of the Energys), and I find the API designed products are excellent. I've always felt the Bose sound good standing 3 feet in front of the display, but disappear in a proper room.

And I'm not hating on Bose, as their small products (Wave radio, sound dock, headphones, and computer speakers) are all excellent. However, their HT stuff seems a fair bit weaker.

Let your ears be your guide. However, depending on the severity of WAF in your home, you may not end up with a choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bose acoustimass 10 series III

Ya, got the Bose after Christmas. Found out that you don't have to plug in AC if you don't want the base (sound). There is no on/off switch of it.
I would not buy online from FutureShop (Canada) any more. They use CanadaPost for free shipping. Shipping was left at my front door while no one at home. Don't know how long it was there. For that much money. That's very risky.

·
Registered
721 Posts
This is not even close. I have listened to both and (over 12 years ago) I have sold both. The Energy take 5 in a cake walk. I personally own the Take 5 classic set, as well as an old set of Energy bookshelf speakers. They are excellent speakers. As a matter of fact, I think they are the best speaker set out there 'bang for the buck'

·
Registered
575 Posts
Trust your ears.

A few things to look out for:

1) compare the systems at identical volumes (preferably measured with a Sound Pressure Level meter (SPL meter). Generally speaking, people will perceive a "louder" system as the "better" system. At home this will be difficult to do, but might be worth a try.

2) in addition to listening for "crispness" of dialogue and "impact" of the bass, listen a bit longer and see if you notice
- listener fatigue
- floppiness of bass - muddy, harmonic-filled bass is NOT good bass!

3) pay attention to where dialogue, especially deeper male dialogue (stuff like James Earl Jones' voice) comes from. It should come from the satellites and NOT the "sub"woofer.

Ideally you should have difficulty locating the subwoofer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
{snip}They are excellent speakers. As a matter of fact, I think they are the best speaker set out there 'bang for the buck'
I have to agree - I am extremely happy with my TC 5.1's. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
where can I buy the Energy Take Classic 5.1?

Does anyone know where you can buy the Energy Classic Take 5.1 anymore? Futureshop and BestBuy seem to have stopped selling them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ebay. That's where I got mine and you can typically find the Take Classic's for around $190 or so and shipping usually around $70. This is just for the 5 speakers without the sub. That's the route I went and just used my old 12" sub.

If you do go Ebay, try to find a supplier that will ship via USPS (post office) instead of UPS ground and then you won't get nailed with any ridiculous brokerage fees. USPS only charges $5 or so for brokerage from the U.S. to Canada.

You can also find them with the sub as well but I chose to just get the satellite's and then you can get a sub that suits your tastes. The Take Classic's sound fantastic btw and my Pioneer receiver tuned everything up very nicely with its automated microphone setup. The Classic's need about 50 hours of playback time to break in according to the manual and I definitely notice a difference now that I've had them for a while. They had a bit of "sharpness" to the sound that I noticed when new and now they sound more natural. You'll be shocked at how these little beasties can perform with a nice sub and correctly tuned! Cheers!

James

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
For what it's worth, I read an article online awhile back about some actual bench testing of a Bose Acoustimass system and they found that there is a whole range of frequency from around 80hz to 200hz that they can't even reproduce. For the money there are better options out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts