Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any energy-efficient pool pumps? My father-in-law is stuck with a pool that needs circulation to keep clean. Pretty much nobody uses the pool anymore other than a duck. We were reviewing hydro bills and noted high consumption. Tripping to pool circuit breaker resulted in power consumption going down dramatically (the meter wheel would turn once every 10 secs with the pool pump on, and less than once every 20 secs with the pump off.

Can't empty the pool otherwise the membrane will rot. Don't want to fill it in for resale value purposes. Turn the pump off for 12 hours and the water starts to turn cloudy.

Any recs? I am no pool expert.

·
Registered
700 Posts
To avoid chlorine and electricity consumption, from early September to late October, I keep my pool covered with a black pine needle net. This is a tightly woven polyethylene which allows rain water through, but eliminates all light entering the pool, stopping algal photosynthesis. Providing the pool was properly chlorinated before the pump shutdown, the pool water and pool bottom remain pristine. When I go on month long trips, I use the same approach; the pool temperature will drop to the surrounding soil temperature (in the inground case), in my case around 15 C. When you are away, this is the most foolproof approach to keeping the pool water clean.
If you want to keep appreciating the water surface, have you tried a pool pump timer? Most pools only need to be circulated 8 or so hours per day in the summer. You need to buy a 15 A timer, for a 1 HP pump. Hydro Québec has an ongoing rebate program on these timers, maybe BC Hydro has something similar.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You can look for a 2 speed pump, and run the low speed for most of the time. Most pool stores sell pumps that are to big. Blasting water quicker through a filter does not help the filtration and can have the opposite effect.

Efficiency is as much about matching the real requirments of the pool and filter vs. running a more expensive oversized pump.

Good little blurb here on sizing here.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip83.html

Also a blurb about 2 speed pumps on this page.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip86.html

·
Registered
358 Posts
my dad uses a chemical in his pool called "SEAPOOL". it is a copper-sulfate compound that replaces the use of chlorine in the pool with an exception to one puck a week in the skimmer. the advantage to using SEAPOOL is that it only requires the pump and filter to be run twice a day for 3 hours at a time. so he has it set up on a automatic timmer and as you can guess saved 75% of his electricity bill for the pool. *There is no conversion kit that is required to use this chemical, unlike a saltwater pool.*

·
Registered
125 Posts
That must be similar to the ClariTec cartridge. When we bought our house 4 years ago, it had the housing but I didn't replace the actual cartridge (they are $100). Turns out that was 'penny-wise and pound-foolish'. I was fighting algae problems each year despite running the filter 24 hours a day, endless vacuuming and spending massive amounts on chlorine. This year, I gave up and bought one and I must say that the pool has never looked better, we're back down to 'safe' test levels for residual chlorine (chlorinator set at a very low level), I'm vacuuming half as often and I'm back to using the timer to run the pump only during off-peak times (about 13 hours per day). I'm pretty sure the cartridge will more than pay for itself over the season through avoiding buying buckets of chlorine tabs at $60 each and reduced electricity. Not to mention no longer having to spend 4 hours per weekend vacuuming!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
my dad uses a chemical in his pool called "SEAPOOL". it is a copper-sulfate compound that replaces the use of chlorine in the pool with an exception to one puck a week in the skimmer. the advantage to using SEAPOOL is that it only requires the pump and filter to be run twice a day for 3 hours at a time. so he has it set up on a automatic timmer and as you can guess saved 75% of his electricity bill for the pool. *There is no conversion kit that is required to use this chemical, unlike a saltwater pool.*
I wouldn't swim in it, it does not sanitize, which is what chlorine does. Saltwater pools are chlorinated pools, the salt is for the chlorine generator where it produces chlorine. Some info on copper pool products from a great pool forum, from a chemistry guy that knows his stuff inside and out.

Copper sulfate shows up in many "non chlorine" sanitation systems.

1. It is not an EPA approved residual sanitizer.
2. It is very slow acting and a pool requires a sanitizer with fast kill times.
3. Copper is an efficient algaecide so the water doesn't turn green from algae so one is lead into the false assumption that clear water is sanitized water. It is not.
4. Copper is what turns hair green and stains pool surfaces. Period.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wouldn't swim in it, it does not sanitize, which is what chlorine does. Saltwater pools are chlorinated pools, the salt is for the chlorine generator where it produces chlorine. Some info on copper pool products from a great pool forum, from a chemistry guy that knows his stuff inside and out.

Copper sulfate shows up in many "non chlorine" sanitation systems.

1. It is not an EPA approved residual sanitizer.
2. It is very slow acting and a pool requires a sanitizer with fast kill times.
3. Copper is an efficient algaecide so the water doesn't turn green from algae so one is lead into the false assumption that clear water is sanitized water. It is not.
4. Copper is what turns hair green and stains pool surfaces. Period.
despite what you may have read on another forum from a guy who may think he knows everything, all but one of your four statements are incorrect.

1.) No it is not approved by the EPA, nor do we live in the USA, we in Canada and not goverened by the EPA
2.) It is not slow acting, and just because I said it was copper-sulfate based, does not mean it is the only ingredient of the powered chemical.
3.) copper isn't just used as an algaecide, it is also used as a pH balancer.
4.) In high concentrations copper can turn your hair green. In Seapool it the ppm is an amount close to 10-15ppm. It can also cause many other health issues in high concentrations. As for staining pool surfaces completly untrue as both the jet and skimmer beneath the water line show no discolouration whatsoever unlike outside of the water where everything has yellowed from the sun. The liner is still in amazing shape and the color is 90% as vibrant as it was in 1998 when the pool was installed.

My father is a Senior Chemist at BASF, and he was one of the first in Windsor-Essex to use this chemical and monitor all the levels in his pool to report back to the manufactor about its sucess in clear water, pH levels, algae levels, e-coli levels, as well as a few others. This product works as well if not out performs chlorine in swimming pool applications IMO. He swears that he never has had any problems or tests that have shown that it was not able to address problems or keep a pool to its proper standards in algae, maintaining proper sanatization, and keeping the water at a safe pH without having to add any other balancers, or stablizers to maintain said pH level. The only other thing used is one chlorine puck in the skimmer per week which is used to aid in sanatization mainly due to the ammount of rain he recieves.

When I see him on the weekend, I will get a list of the compounds in Seapool as well as the percentages of concentration and post back here for all.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If it does all that, then I would believe there is a healthy doze of sanitizer in it. Copper sulfate is not a santizer. If you have good success with it, I would welcome you post up about it at the site I brought the info from, which is poolforum . The people there know the pool stuff very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts