Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am currently using Windows XP. Yes I'm a dinosaur.:grin But for my needs it is sufficient. I just check emails, come on to sites like these and download a show or movie once in awhile.

However now when I launch the chrome browser I get a message saying that it will stop supporting my computer as now there will be no more updates for those with Windows XP and Vista. My computer can't handle Windows 7 as it will slow it down tremendously. And it won't be usable.

Is there a browser I can still use with XP? I stopped using IE long time ago as I was having touble getting on some sites.

So hopefully someone here is using a different browser that works with XP.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The fact that you are using XP on the Internet is far more of a security risk that using an outdated version of Chrome.

You'll likely start to find that any Google services that you use won't work by the end of the year if your Chrome version gets too old.

Time to switch to a modern OS. If you can't afford much, a Chromebook will likely out perform an XP machine at this point.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed the hard drive on this computer but it is not a question of money. I tried Windows 8 on a friends computer not too long ago and I didn't like it. If I wanted Windows 8 it would not run well on my current computer.For my needs XP runs great on my computer. No support for that and now Chrome too.

I will try Firefox again when the time comes. I tried it once and prefered Chrome.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I also highly recommend that you stop using Windows XP on an internet connected system. Security holes in Windows XP are being actively exploited to steal personal information, perform DDOS attacks and spread malware. A good option for older PCs is Lubuntu. Better still, bite the bullet and upgrade the PC or get a new one. Use Windows 7 or Windows 10. Windows 10 is much better and easier to use than Windows 8. Win10 will be supported for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a question about Windows XP usage. If I'm behind a router, don't surf the web or use the web browser and only play games online. Would I be at risk?

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Good alternative to Chrome browser?

My home PC runs Vista SP2, so in the not-too-distant future I will have to wean myself away from Chrome, which I find to be an awesome browser.

I've been trying out some other browers - Opera, Firefox, Safari and Pale Moon - and I have to say I'm unimpressed because they're all so SLOW compared to Chrome.

(I haven't used Internet Explorer because Microsoft isn't supporting it anymore.)

Overall, Opera seems to be the fastest, but it chokes on Facebook. Firefox is the runner up, so that's what I'm working with at this time.

Are there any other browsers out there that are known to be fast (Chrome fast), stable and secure?

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Tikker said:
I'm missing something, why can't you continue to use chrome?
Google Chrome Blog:
... we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes. ...
DSgamby said:
eljay: How about Comodo Dragon, Maxthon, Vivaldi or Chromium?
Thanks - I'll give 'em a try. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can't recommend Xubuntu highly enough. I run it on my netbook, and convinced my parents and brother to let me install it on their machines (but it's pretty easy; anyone can install it these days, not like how it used to be). It'll run on anything made in the past ten years -- and well, too. You'll be surprised. Also, next-to-zero security holes, and constantly updated by nerds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts