Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

781 - 797 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quickly thinking on the subject, I can see two ways to disseminate the notification over SMS (or MMS).
  1. Similar to the way carriers notify you over SMS when you return to your home network when you’ve been travelling abroad, they could send an SMS message when you’re “roaming” in the affected area.
    The network already knows in which location you’re in, and gets updated when you’re moving between cell sites. This would just replace the WPA broadcast by an SMS message.

This might be probably too costly for a limited use, although I could see this used for AMBER alerts.
  2. Send an SMS message to all mobile phone numbers in the affected area codes. Our area codes mostly don’t cross provincial boundaries.
    Since interregional or interprovincial travel is highly discouraged, it should be unlikely that a traveller would be present in an affected area.
The Feds have already agreed to the bogus arguments by the winner of the bid to implement Alerts in Canada not to include regular SMS as a notification option. Alerts are received (sometimes) as long as you have data enabled on your device.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How would they reach everyone with SMS or MMS? The alert system is the only thing that is (almost) universal. It would be nice if they gave us the option of turning down the volume though.
That's how it works in other countries — via SMS (no cellular data required)

·
Super Moderator
56,768 Posts
Yet another case of numerous amber alerts received by many people on TV, apps, cell phones, etc. Child "abducted" by mother found safe a few minutes after Amber Alert issued...

Since the OPP knew who it was, call or text the mother! Don't bother millions of Ontarians.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
We received about 8 alerts, 4 for each phone that were both in the same room. It caused considerable anxiety among household members. The amber alert system needs to be run by trained personnel. The people issuing alerts so far seem to be poorly trained, and that's being much more polite than I feel about the situation.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
Stay At Home Order? Really? That's really neccessary? It was all over the news. People where aware of it, do they really need to send an alert to people?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Today’s alert made a lot of sense. I know many people who have stopped watching the news and unfollowed media on Facebook. When I talk to people while walking my dog, many admit to only having some idea of what is going on right now.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The irony is that a lot of the people who don't follow social media or the news may also not have a smartphone with LTE. They will still be unaware of the lockdown. Even worse, people who solely rely on social media for news may be getting a lot of misinformation.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
my wife has an old phone with no sim card, we powered it up to use to grab some data off of it ie pictures, videos, etc but it somehow still got the emergency alert, is that suppose to happen even with no sim card? wow pretty cool if u ask me.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Well, phones without a SIM are supposed to be able to make emergency phone calls, so perhaps...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
It can still get on the network without a SIM card since it can still make emergency calls. So, if it's got LTE, it's certainly possible it could get the alert.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Probably both but phones only connect to one service. I suppose if you forced a switch at the right time you might get the alert twice.

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
Public alerting tests to be conducted in Canada on May 5

Alberta1:55 PM (MDT)
British Columbia1:55 PM (PDT)
Manitoba1:55 PM (CDT)
New Brunswick10:55 AM (ADT)
Newfoundland & Labrador10:55 AM (NDT)
Northwest Territories1:55 PM (MDT)
Nova Scotiano test scheduled
Nunavutno test scheduled
Ontariono test scheduled
Prince Edward Island12:55 PM (ADT)
Quebecno test scheduled
Saskatchewan1:55 PM (CST)
Yukon1:55 PM (PDT)

For a wireless device to receive a test alert, it must be:
  • Connected to an LTE wireless or a newer wireless network (5G) at the time the test alert is issued;
  • Capable of receiving wireless public alerts; and
  • Equipped with a recent Canadian version of its operating software.
If a mobile device meets these conditions and did not receive the test message, Canadians should contact their wireless service provider.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alert went off on Pixel with Public Mobile and Moto Z with Koodo. Pixel finished first.

This was the first alert since the last test and the phones are on 24/7 for the last year.

781 - 797 of 797 Posts