Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

761 - 780 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Imagine you kidnapped a child and you see the alert on your phone. I bet that probably contributes to the person going to the police.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
We had 6 or 8 alerts go off here between 4:30AM and 5:00AM on Saturday morning. That's two phones each sounding 3 or 4 alerts. (I lost count after 5.) That's in addition to identical alerts around midnight and 8AM, which should have been sufficient. I understand the urgency but ... please keep the emergency alert system away from the idiot who did this.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
There are always going to be unlikely scenarios like the one you mention, where it's "impossible" to get in touch with someone directly or through friends or family, via phone, text, or direct contact. The point I'm trying to make is that there has not been one scenario in Ontario where an Amber Alert has directly impacted the outcome for a child.

Similar surveys have been conducted across North America and the results are the same. Amber Alerts make people feel good, but don't ever, or extremely rarely, have a direct impact, while disrupting the lives of millions of people with billions of intrusions over the 25 years since Amber Alerts started in the US.

These disruptions, can cause car accidents, and many other negative outcomes for all these millions of people (loss of sleep for doctors and other essential workers). People in Canada need to be allowed the option to turn off these (Amber Alert) intrusions in their phones like you can in the US. These people won't help with Amber Alerts anyway. Although I usually have the ringer turned off on my iPhone, which means I don't hear the klaxon, turning off a phone/ringer is not an option for many people because they need to be able to be contacted for a large number of reasons.

Serious consideration needs to be given to a fact-based analysis of whether we should even continue with Amber Alerts. We have 25 years worth of data. Emotions need to be put aside. At least we should be able to avoid these intrusions if we wish.

The Emergency Alert system should obviously be utilized in a targeted manner for real emergencies, like tornados, etc. Especially for situations like the Nova Scotia killer, where it was not utilized. One other problem with these alerts is that they are often repeated in error as mentioned recently, diluting their effectiveness and desensitizing people. Inept people should not be in charge of such an intrusive technology.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I am not talking about getting in touch with someone directly. I am talking about a kidnapper who doesn't have a phone or anything that can be tracked or told anyone what they were doing.

I have not found any news articles that say that an Amber Alert caused a car accident or anything else. Not saying that it won't happen.

Saving one child’s life is worth it.

The system does need to fix though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are always going to be unlikely scenarios like the one you mention, where it's "impossible" to get in touch with someone directly or through friends or family, via phone, text, or direct contact. The point I'm trying to make is that there has not been one scenario in Ontario where an Amber Alert has directly impacted the outcome for a child.

Similar surveys have been conducted across North America and the results are the same. Amber Alerts make people feel good, but don't ever, or extremely rarely, have a direct impact, while disrupting the lives of millions of people with billions of intrusions over the 25 years since Amber Alerts started in the US.

These disruptions, can cause car accidents, and many other negative outcomes for all these millions of people (loss of sleep for doctors and other essential workers). People in Canada need to be allowed the option to turn off these (Amber Alert) intrusions in their phones like you can in the US. These people won't help with Amber Alerts anyway. Although I usually have the ringer turned off on my iPhone, which means I don't hear the klaxon, turning off a phone/ringer is not an option for many people because they need to be able to be contacted for a large number of reasons.

Serious consideration needs to be given to a fact-based analysis of whether we should even continue with Amber Alerts. We have 25 years worth of data. Emotions need to be put aside. At least we should be able to avoid these intrusions if we wish.

The Emergency Alert system should obviously be utilized in a targeted manner for real emergencies, like tornados, etc. Especially for situations like the Nova Scotia killer, where it was not utilized. One other problem with these alerts is that they are often repeated in error as mentioned recently, diluting their effectiveness and desensitizing people. Inept people should not be in charge of such an intrusive technology.
Like boo-hoo, trying to save a childs life is less important than you being inconvenienced for 10 seconds. Whether it works or not, even if it works once its worth it. And I highly doubt it causes accidents let alone has negative outcomes for millions of people. If you have evidence please post links.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
There is lots of evidence in this thread regarding the fact that Amber Alerts have not worked and have caused inconvenience billions of times for millions of people. There's lots of evidence regarding distractions causing accidents or loss of sleep causing other problems. Nevertheless, all we're asking for is the option to be able to silence Amber Alerts on our phones as is available in the US. Is that too much to ask?

Stop forcing stuff down people's throats if they don't want it, won't use it, and causes other people to be desensitized due to overuse and ineptitude. We're trying to make the alert system better, not make it go away.

...trying to save a childs life is less important than you being inconvenienced for 10 seconds.
Trying is not useful if it does nothing concrete.

If you don't mind having your phone go off in the middle of the night or many times for the same incident, that's fine with me, just don't force a significant portion of the population into your paradigm. Allow people the option of turning it off as necessary for their particular situation. As I mentioned earlier, I already have my iPhone silenced so these don't bother me, but lots of people don't currently have that option, because they need to have their phones "on".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, so this thread represents millions of people?

Anyways, I don't mind my phone going off in the middle of the night, its shut off so I won't get disturbed. I, unlike many, feel no need to be connected 24/7. As for the ability to shut them off, I may be ok with that, but it sort of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am surprised that no one has made a hack for Android or even for jailbroken iPhones just to kill these things altogether.
Or even a ‘secret’ Easter Egg type code from the phone manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't receive the alerts on my Rogers pay as go account. However, I do receive spam. Excellent planning on Rogers part.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Québec provincial government decided to terrorize their population by sending out a wireless alert to every device.

This is the second one in two months for the pandemic. Seriously, this is abusing the system.

It’s not like no one was aware that the curfew was coming into effect tonight. It’s been wall-to-wall in all the media since Wednesday.

·
Registered
672 Posts
They probably want to cover themselves because some people are probably not watching the news any longer. Especially those who think this is fake news.

I wouldn't call that an abuse. Nightly reminders would be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They probably want to cover themselves because some people are probably not watching the news any longer. Especially those who think this is fake news.

I wouldn't call that an abuse. Nightly reminders would be.
I would say that an SMS (or MMS) message would have been more than sufficient. They did it previously, why not now?

There was no need for the Alert Ready tone ringing on people's phones for a situation that was already known for days, some of use are not allowed to use DND/vibration only mode.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
How would they reach everyone with SMS or MMS? The alert system is the only thing that is (almost) universal. It would be nice if they gave us the option of turning down the volume though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quickly thinking on the subject, I can see two ways to disseminate the notification over SMS (or MMS).
  1. Similar to the way carriers notify you over SMS when you return to your home network when you’ve been travelling abroad, they could send an SMS message when you’re “roaming” in the affected area.
    The network already knows in which location you’re in, and gets updated when you’re moving between cell sites. This would just replace the WPA broadcast by an SMS message.

This might be probably too costly for a limited use, although I could see this used for AMBER alerts.
  2. Send an SMS message to all mobile phone numbers in the affected area codes. Our area codes mostly don’t cross provincial boundaries.
    Since interregional or interprovincial travel is highly discouraged, it should be unlikely that a traveller would be present in an affected area.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
761 - 780 of 797 Posts