Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

741 - 749 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It seems like in the Maritimes we get more cases of alerts not going out when they should have than we do alerts. The latest example is during a 911 outage earlier this week where the NB RCMP requested an alert be sent out but 2 hours later it still hadn't been: No Emergency Alert Sent During 911 Outage

This was pretty absurd because you had things going on like the City of Fredericton posting a phone number on Facebook saying "call this police officer's personal phone in an emergency" due to 911 being down, but we can't get an emergency alert sent out in 2 hours to alert people to that?

The process to send these doesn't appear to be even remotely responsive enough in this part of the country, making the system not really useful at all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has discovered this, but my LG G6 now has an icon to control what alerts I wish to receive.
I now have the ability to totally disable Amber Alerts on my phone, but keep other emergency alerts active.This happened after my phone took a large software update.
Has something changed with respect of allowing users to determine which alerts they wish to receive?

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Nothing has changed that I know. The option of disabling Amber Alerts is possible in the US because they have different alert levels. Currently, in Canada, all emergency alerts are sent as "presidential alerts" (the highest level) and they cannot be cancelled. Let us know what happens when the next Amber Alert is issued in your area, assuming you received them before.

See the link below - FAQs, Top Questions/Answers - Can I opt out? Lots of information on the Alert Ready Website.

P.S. Do you have a phone purchased from the US or is the firmware US based?

·
Registered
642 Posts

I purchased my LG G6 unlocked on Amazon from a Canadian supplier. But since I turned off the Amber Alert notification on both phones, we haven't had any more annoyances. I still have other emergency alerts enabled and get things like tornado warnings. But we did not receive the latest amber alert about the abduction in Hamilton.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts

Article may be behind a paywall for some people, so I've copied some paragraphs below:

Canadians’ cellphones are widely inconsistent in how they deliver emergency alerts from government agencies, which could undermine the effectiveness of the national early-warning system, according to a new study by the federal telecom regulator.

In response to a high volume of complaints from mobile phone users, particularly over their perceived inability to control the volume of the alarms for emergency alerts, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) tested 10 different phones from five manufacturers. The researchers set the devices to specific settings – such as silent mode, do not disturb or maximum volume – and then triggered alerts in a shielded environment, recording how the phones behaved.

The regulator found significant variability in the alert tones, volumes and the settings that controlled the alarms, according to a report obtained by The Globe and Mail under the Access to Information Act.

While four of the phones played the characteristic Canadian alert sound, which lasts for eight seconds and is comprised of alternating tones, another five did not. One phone – the Samsung A70 – didn’t receive any of the emergency alerts throughout the entire testing process.
For instance, the Huawei P30 emitted full-volume alarms regardless of its sound settings, until the researchers discovered that the phone has a separate menu for emergency alerts. There, a toggle switch labelled “use full volume” causes the phone to override all other settings and play emergency alarms at full blast, even when set to “do not disturb.”

The researchers learned, through trial and error, how to control the alert volume for each device by sending repeated alerts during the testing process – something that, they note, members of the public aren’t able to to do. “Therefore, there are many possible scenarios in which an individual may conclude that their phone is ignoring their settings when, in fact, they have configured the phone incorrectly,” the report reads.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Another case in Nova Scotia recently, where the Nova Scotia RCMP put a notice up on twitter about them looking for an armed individual and suggesting people remain indoors. Lots of questions being asked about why that didn't trigger an alert, especially after last time where they really should have.

If it's enough for them to put up a "stay indoors" notice on Twitter, should that also prompt an alert? If not, why are they telling people to do that on Twitter? It just seems lke the alert system is hopelessly cumbersome to use so they don't bother, probably because they have to go through another agency entirely to send one whereas they can post to Twitter immediately.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Also, there are many people, myself included that have no use for Twitter. We'd never get that notic.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well I mean, that's the problem. Like with the 911 thing. I really shouldn't have to know to check Facebook to find out if I can use 911 or not. Likewise I shouldn't have to scroll through Twitter to find out if the police have put out a "stay indoors" warning. That's the entire point of having an alerts system, but out here they seem utterly incapable of actually sending an alert.

A system that is too unresponsive and slow to use in an emergency is not a workable emergency system.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Again, may be behind paywall...

Some paragraphs below:

Ontario is inviting police across the province to start issuing direct-to-cellphone alerts to warn the public about “active shooters,” such as the gunman who killed 22 people in Nova Scotia earlier this year.

An Aug. 6 memo from a senior public servant in the Ministry of the Solicitor-General obtained by The Globe and Mail tells local police chiefs how, where and when they can start issuing localized “public safety (policing) emergency alerts” in cases of severe and unconventional threats.

The police chiefs’ resolutions argued that better alerting isn’t just good policy – it’s the law. It pointed out that police services in Canada have faced a heightened legal obligation to warn the public about threats ever since the 1990s, when a woman known as Jane Doe successfully sued the Toronto Police Service for failing to put out warnings about a serial sexual-assault suspect.

Unlike Ontario’s Amber Alerts about missing children – which are always disseminated to millions of people across the entire province – these new kinds of warnings will be localized. “Alerts may be targeted to a city, region, country or township,” the memo says.
Let's hope it is properly targeted.

741 - 749 of 749 Posts