Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

721 - 728 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Depending on the situation and the driver, that kind of unexpected startling nose could itself lead to a nasty accident.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have no issue with the actual amber alert on my phone or TV/Radio. The only way it was heard thru the radio like the previous poster mentioned is he probably had his phone connected to his car radio thru a 3.5 milli metre jack and he was playing some sort of streaming music. or making a phone call and pumped the sound thru the car's speakers. The reason why palmorex wont give a damn is because the user did this setup on purpose and it just so happened to amplify the emergency alert tone thru the stereo system because it amplifys what ever comes thru the headphone jack, The Radio has no way of "knowing" thats an emergency alert signal it just hears "sound" and amplifys it thru the speakers. im sure someone could come up with a solution for this by writing a third party app? and using a bluetooth connection over 3,5 mlli metre audio jack?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I experienced the same issue. I heard the amber alert come through my car speakers. I was only connected via Bluetooth but was listening to the regular radio. It was as if my phone had silently rang and I clicked to answer the call. Of course, it was not a call and I did nothing - it just started playing the alert noise followed by reading the message.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
I have a few comments/questions.

1. Is it not possible for the police to call the person's cell phone before issuing an amber alert? After all the man turned himself in immediately upon hearing the amber alert. Would he not have done the same if the police (or someone else) had called him?

2. The papers listed the car as a Mercedes SLK, however, the sample picture I saw was a CLS and another paper said it was a BLK (which doesn't exist). C'mon people is it that difficult to get the car model correct? There is a huge difference between a CLS and SLK.

3. For those people hearing a loud klaxon on their phones (or "paired" car speakers) when the amber alert is issued, it is certainly quite loud, but I can turn it down (or off) on my iPhone 5S so it is not so jarring, or even inaudible. (Use vibrate?) I realize this is not an option for some people, but if you don't wish to be disturbed while driving (which should be the default), then there are options on most phones or car audio systems.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I got the alert in Québec, while driving 100kph. It took over my car’s hands-free system.
Was he listening to the radio? I'm not familiar with the integrated Bluetooth systems in newer cars, and my 2005 doesn't have it. But I have an FM MP3 player with Bluetooth and listen to my tunes all the time when driving. If a call comes in to the phone in my pocket, it switches to the ring tone and I can either answer or decline. Since my phone is 3G non-LTE, I would not get the alerts, but if I did, they would be at the volume of my stereo, if it was turned on. So I would presume in a new car the Bluetooth receives calls even if the stereo is not in use. But what is the volume? Is it where your stereo was last set? Or are these alerts at a higher volume, like TV commercials?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
CRTC investigating the inconsistency of cellphone alerts among devices

Canada’s telecom regulator is studying how various phones respond to emergency alerts after receiving complaints that the alarms override silent modes on some devices and not others.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has tested smartphones to identify which generate audible alarms when set to the silent, airplane or do-not-disturb modes...

Some good news? Article may be behind G&M paywall. Other papers may have the information unlocked, but a quick search didn't find any...

Of course, this may take some time.... ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Was he listening to the radio? I'm not familiar with the integrated Bluetooth systems in newer cars, and my 2005 doesn't have it. But I have an FM MP3 player with Bluetooth and listen to my tunes all the time when driving. If a call comes in to the phone in my pocket, it switches to the ring tone and I can either answer or decline. Since my phone is 3G non-LTE, I would not get the alerts, but if I did, they would be at the volume of my stereo, if it was turned on. So I would presume in a new car the Bluetooth receives calls even if the stereo is not in use. But what is the volume? Is it where your stereo was last set? Or are these alerts at a higher volume, like TV commercials?
On my 12 year old car, I use a Bluetooth to 3.5mm jack for music/podcast playing, which I was using at the time. It also has builtin Bluetooth handsfree calling.

The way it works in my car is that the handsfree calling is used for calls, regardless of the stereo (the two are completely independent). The volume is set for that feature, adjusted for ambient road noise.

If I receive a call, it is handled by the car and not the stereo system, and I can accept (or reject) calls from my steering wheel. I can also dial out and use handsfree voice assistants.

If I don't have sound playing from my phone, it is also used for GPS directions automatically.

3. For those people hearing a loud klaxon on their phones (or "paired" car speakers) when the amber alert is issued, it is certainly quite loud, but I can turn it down (or off) on my iPhone 5S so it is not so jarring, or even inaudible. (Use vibrate?) I realize this is not an option for some people, but if you don't wish to be disturbed while driving (which should be the default), then there are options on most phones or car audio systems.
I had Do Not Disturb while driving enabled on my phone. it completely bypassed that, which is what I prefer in situations where my life or other lives might be at risk. What I had absolutely hate is that annoying noise; even my home's fire alarm system is less agressive.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The last time I had an alert in the car I heard the first couple seconds on the radio station. It then got interrupted by the phone which was connected by bluetooth as if a call was being made. There was no music being played from the device or any streaming at the time. If there were any gaps in the phone squaking the radio alert kicked back in and then it went back to the phone. At times it was like the radio and phone were battling it out over which alert should be heard.

721 - 728 of 728 Posts