Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Twitter is not a substitute for an actual emergency alert. Most people don't use it, and certainly aren't using it while they're out doing stuff. Getting this notice hours later when they scroll their feed is worse than useless.

This is exactly what the emergency alert should have been used for. "There's an active shooter, stay indoors. For more information, visit (Twtter Url)."

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, here. Warning people is better than not warning them. This was a major fail.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
An alert should probably mentioned the shooter was posing as an RCMP officer in a cruiser, if that was known right away.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I just got an alert on my phone, of another shooting incident, this time in the HRM area, with people being advised to shelter in place, in their homes.

Shots have been heard in the Tantallon area.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Believe it or not, this time the alert reached radio stations in PEI which is ridiculous. The whole alert system and its protocols need to be reviewed. It is just not working. (what other new computer system named after a mythical bird does this remind you of?)

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Twitter is not a substitute for an actual emergency alert. Most people don't use it, and certainly aren't using it while they're out doing stuff. Getting this notice hours later when they scroll their feed is worse than useless.

This is exactly what the emergency alert should have been used for. "There's an active shooter, stay indoors. For more information, visit (Twtter Url)."

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, here. Warning people is better than not warning them. This was a major fail.
Personally, I do have a Twitter account, but I only visit there maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I expect the number of people sitting on Twitter all day and monitoring tweets from law enforcement is extremely tiny. However the majority of people carry cellphones. I wonder if all the outrage from people over amber alerts disturbing their sleep made the authorities reluctant to issue a real alert? They just tweeted in their own little echo chamber.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
@oldyellr: I thought the same thing. It makes sense that after all the kerfuffle over recent middle of the night amber alerts that annoyed so many people that the authorities might have been a bit leery of sending out a general alert that might draw similar complaints. Your comment about an echo chamber is an apt description.

There's got to be more geographic targetting of these alerts so that people hundreds of miles away are not issued an alert that they can do nothing about. There's a science fiction story in which an authoritarian state can order everyone to go to the window and look outside for an on-the-run fugitive. The theory behind this is that someone somewhere would be be bound to spot the runner. Is that what the police are actually hoping for with these wide alerts?

There also have to be a range of scenarios based on the type of alert that includes the times of the day when such alerts are sent out as wide area alerts and the time of the day (middle of the night?) when alerts are more targetted to a narrower area closer to the crime scene. Otherwise the public will never take the system seriously when they need to.

I also think some thought needs to be made as to how to get the information disseminated to the large number of people in this country, mostly rural although not completely so, who have either don't have a cell phone/cell coverage, or no internet, or only limited internet. At one point I would have said that they're just a really small group of Luddites but now based on what I'm hearing they seem to be larger than most of us have imagined. How would these people be informed in a real "immediate life threatening emergency" using the existing alert system such as a tornado, flash flood, wildfire, or wild lion on the loose etc., if they only send the alerts on the higher tech. technology? Or would these people simply be victims?

There's a lot to think about.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The other thing is, if it was known early on that the shooter was impersonating and driving a police car, they may have had second thoughts telling the public for fear of nobody stopping for any police.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The other thing is, if it was known early on that the shooter was impersonating and driving a police car, they may have had second thoughts telling the public for fear of nobody stopping for any police.
How does releasing the alerts on Twitter not have a similar concern?

Seems to be more likely it's the kind of systemic incompetence that has plagued the RCMP for decades.

Perhaps Nova Scotia will stop being cheap, and pay money for their own police force.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
That article is quite misleading.
...in a little after 12 hours after the first call, they located, shot and killed a serial killer.
It was actually pure luck.

He travelled a short distance to the home of a woman he knew on Highway 224. He killed her before stealing her Mazda 3. He transferred his weapons to that car, stopped to change out of the police clothing he had been wearing, and then pulled into a gas station in Enfield, N.S. (The stolen vehicle was low on gas) A tactical officer, who had stopped to refuel, killed the gunman there.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/rcmp-detail-killer-s-path-through-nova-scotia-1.4910079

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scotia_killings

Early Sunday morning, the RCMP thought that the killer was still in Portapique when they learned of more killings outside of Portapique. At that time (around 10:00AM Sunday) they should have issued the Emergency Alert - they had all the information they needed - description, name, RCMP uniform and car, etc. The Emergency Alert staff (who are not available 24/7 in N.S.) had come in specifically to do that on the weekend so they knew that it should be used, even if the RCMP didn't. The US Consulate also knew enough to warn their citizens.

Using Twitter, which is utilized by only a small percentage of Nova Scotians, many of whom would not necessarily be "plugged in to Twitter", or able to access it, is not acceptable when a far better method is available.

BTW, it's not called an Amber Alert except in (child) situations that apply to that particular subset of the Alert Ready Emergency Alert System. The Amber in the name is not a colour. It's not Amber, then Red, etc. Amber was the name of an abducted child killed in 1996.

https://www.alertready.ca/

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
@oldyellr: I thought the same thing. It makes sense that after all the kerfuffle over recent middle of the night amber alerts that annoyed so many people that the authorities might have been a bit leery of sending out a general alert that might draw similar complaints. Your comment about an echo chamber is an apt description.
But is that a problem in Nova Scotia? We just don't get that many of those in the Maritimes. I haven't gotten a single amber alert in NB since this system came in, and I'm not sure one has. Nova Scotia can't have had that many. If that stops them from issuing an alert about an active shooter, something's very wrong.

Especially since they used it the week before over Easter to send an alert about social distancing over the holidays.

I also think some thought needs to be made as to how to get the information disseminated to the large number of people in this country, mostly rural although not completely so, who have either don't have a cell phone/cell coverage, or no internet, or only limited internet. At one point I would have said that they're just a really small group of Luddites but now based on what I'm hearing they seem to be larger than most of us have imagined. How would these people be informed in a real "immediate life threatening emergency" using the existing alert system such as a tornado, flash flood, wildfire, or wild lion on the loose etc., if they only send the alerts on the higher tech. technology? Or would these people simply be victims?

There's a lot to think about.
The alert system covers far more people now than it ever has, since it's also on radio and TV. Short of putting loud speakers everywhere, there is no system that can get universal coverage. I'm not sure what more can be done there, realistically. But they have to actually use it for it to matter, and the RCMP dropped the ball on this. There's no excuse, Nova Scotia EMO was on site to issue the alert. It just wasn't done when it should have been.

If people aren't issuing alerts correctly, the system has no real value. That has to be fixed.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Actually there might something to be said for placing loudspeakers. Some of the tsunami warning systems on the west coast work with exactly that kind of simple technology. However something that straightforward would never be accepted by the nerds running the alert system in Canada who wouldn't even dream of utilizing older methods.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
It appears to me that the alert system is being misused by a couple of people in the GTA and ignored almost everywhere else. There was a case where the amber alert system should have been used just a few km from here but wasn't. On the other hand we've received some questionable amber alerts from the GTA area, over 100km away, in the middle of the night. Those incidents have destroyed the credibility of the system. There was an alert for a possible tornado last year but I've seen more severe weather when no alert was issued. The failure to use the alert system in NS recently just reinforces the issue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It appears to me that the alert system is being misused by a couple of people in the GTA and ignored almost everywhere else. There was a case where the amber alert system should have been used just a few km from here but wasn't. On the other hand we've received some questionable amber alerts from the GTA area, over 100km away, in the middle of the night. Those incidents have destroyed the credibility of the system. There was an alert for a possible tornado last year but I've seen more severe weather when no alert was issued. The failure to use the alert system in NS recently just reinforces the issue.
Looks like another custody dispute today. Of course I don't know any of the details of the story, but when I see the details in the alert, and thanks to their past history use of the service, that's now my assumption. Another example of how some of the abuse of the system is already causing harm to it, leading to alert fatigue or whatever it is they call that phenomenon.( although granted we haven't really been inundated with alerts recently, or at least I haven't) Shame all the same though.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got the alert in Québec, while driving 100kph. It took over my car’s hands-free system.

The alert sound definitely needs a replacement for Amber alerts.

Ed7789
Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
It took over my car’s hands-free system.
I hope it didn't interrupt your nap. ;)

The problem with custody disputes is they can sometimes turn violent. There was one case not long ago where the father murdered the kid.

How does an Amber Alert take over the hands free system?

701 - 720 of 759 Posts