Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,127 Posts
$400/mo! Mine is under $300 for two months and I use electricity for hot water heating, otherwise it'd be down closer to $100/mo. You may wish to consider the following device - a monitor which measures total house consumption. I've got one and it works well. In the "appliance" mode (or simply by watching the readings change as you turn something on/off), you can also see which items use a lot of electricity.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126550

You may also wish to purchase a Watt meter for your 110V items since the above meter is only accurate to +/- 100 Watts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35430

Do you have electric heat? Do you heat water electrically? I assume you're not yet on TOU (time of use) with the old meter. If you have electric heat, what is your bill like in the shoulder season when there's no heat or A/C required? How many kWh do you use each month - give us a few months like August September, October, November. It's very rare that a meter is inaccurate. There were several instances in the US where people thought they had inaccurate meters, but their bills had gone up due to increased costs for electricity and increased use of electricity in the home, not inaccurate meters.

·
Super Moderator
57,127 Posts
Can you explain why you used 4X as much electricity in September as you did in November? Your Enmax bill may be $400/mo, but this is not electricity only - it includes water and gas, therefore it's difficult to do a comparison, but the kWh numbers shouldn't lie. Are you sure that some of those readings aren't estimates - you stated the code on the bill is "actual"? Have you taken readings yourself each month (or weekly) and compared those readings to the bill readings?

As an FYI, I use about 1000-1200 kWh/mo, but that includes hot water heating. My gas bill was under $700 for 2010, but I have a 96% furnace. My (flat rate) water bill was about $500 for 2010. The yearly total for these three items combined is under $3000, or about $250/mo. We are two retired folk living in a 1400 sq ft 2 story home in Toronto, with a HT in the developed basement, and we keep the home at comfortable temperatures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.