Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years, when compared to others, my electric bill seems way out of wack.

The electric meter hasn't been changed in close to the 30 years I've been in the house.

Can it be out of calibration.

How do I get Enmax to replace it and check it's accuracy?
And if it's been overcharging me, how do I get some of it back?

I know I have lots of electronic toys, but my Enmax bill is >$400/month on a < 1000 Sq. Ft. Bungalow.

And NO, I'm not running a grow op!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
$400/mo! Mine is under $300 for two months and I use electricity for hot water heating, otherwise it'd be down closer to $100/mo. You may wish to consider the following device - a monitor which measures total house consumption. I've got one and it works well. In the "appliance" mode (or simply by watching the readings change as you turn something on/off), you can also see which items use a lot of electricity.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126550

You may also wish to purchase a Watt meter for your 110V items since the above meter is only accurate to +/- 100 Watts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35430

Do you have electric heat? Do you heat water electrically? I assume you're not yet on TOU (time of use) with the old meter. If you have electric heat, what is your bill like in the shoulder season when there's no heat or A/C required? How many kWh do you use each month - give us a few months like August September, October, November. It's very rare that a meter is inaccurate. There were several instances in the US where people thought they had inaccurate meters, but their bills had gone up due to increased costs for electricity and increased use of electricity in the home, not inaccurate meters.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Is your Enmax combined, Electrical, gas, water/sewer? I can see it being that with gas on there but not just electrical unless you have electric heat.

How about your water heater, furnace ext, are they gas or electric?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the whole home meter, but it appears they just count the revolutions of the meter, so if it's out, then so would the external reader.
Need something total independent.

I'm bidding on some Kill-A-Watt units on ebay, but may just grab a UPM from Rona.

Hot water heater and furnace are natural gas.
Total Bill is based on Electricity, Natural Gas and Water.
Water is non metered.
Electricity is on a plan at $0.07 /kWh

House is detached bungalow at ~ 980 sq. ft.
2x4 walls
All new windows & doors. Very high quality.

Here are some electricity numbers:
August 1521 kWh $106.47
Sept 1648 kWh $115.36
October 1530 kWh $107.10
November 408 kWh $28.56

Every bill code indicates ACTUAL reading.

Looking at the annual graph;
Last May was practically no consumption, but June was towards 3300 kWh.
Last Jan was a spike to over 4500 kWh.

A few years back, they tried to bill me $1200.
When I complained, it suddenly became ~ $200.

From what I can gather from federal weights and measures regulations, the worst case is 12 years for meters to be replaced or recertified.
I may be reading it wrong.

I understand that when replacing a meter, they are supposed to knock on your door first to advise you and if not, at least leave a card.

I've had neither in the last 27 years.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
It could be the meter. But it could also be the way the utility is calculating your consumption. Allow me to explain:

Electrical meters cannot capture all of the energy passing through them. Therefore, a multiplier on your account adjusts the readings accordingly. The multiplier variable differs based on the model of meter. Every meter model is tested, and the appropriate multiplier is assessed for each device.

It could be they don't have the appropriate model number in their system for your address...

Either way--regardless of what the issue is--something appears to be wrong.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting.
And the factor is not related to the P.F. as that would be load dependent.

I'll try and read up on it, never heard of that before.

Reading your sig, nice setup.
I had a 56' Rohn until it fell over some years back, 73.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Can you explain why you used 4X as much electricity in September as you did in November? Your Enmax bill may be $400/mo, but this is not electricity only - it includes water and gas, therefore it's difficult to do a comparison, but the kWh numbers shouldn't lie. Are you sure that some of those readings aren't estimates - you stated the code on the bill is "actual"? Have you taken readings yourself each month (or weekly) and compared those readings to the bill readings?

As an FYI, I use about 1000-1200 kWh/mo, but that includes hot water heating. My gas bill was under $700 for 2010, but I have a 96% furnace. My (flat rate) water bill was about $500 for 2010. The yearly total for these three items combined is under $3000, or about $250/mo. We are two retired folk living in a 1400 sq ft 2 story home in Toronto, with a HT in the developed basement, and we keep the home at comfortable temperatures.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No idea.
I'd say next month will be WAY more and average out the two months.

I haven't checked my meter, but we did tape over it this summer to test if the guy actually came out and looked over the back fence with his telescope to read the damn thing.

You are correct about the bill being integrated.
Natural gas is cheap and I have no issues with that, othan than on my birthday this past Monday, the motor crapped out and cost me $567 to get it fixed and some cracks may be showing in the heat exchanger.
It's a 30 year old Lennox.
He says it's about 70% and the new ones they pitch are 98% and the DC motors draw ~ 3 amps vs my AC motor at 8 A.

So maybe a new furnace will say on the electricity as well, but at a cost around $5K, it's a tough pill to swallow.

Me and the misses are 50+, I work.
house as described.
2 servers with 16TB
1 HTPC
1 laptop
3 client PC's.
55" Plasma
32" LCD
1 AVR
1 Hot tub that runs off 110. It's a 1.5KW heater. 600 litre (4'x6' 2 seats and 1 lounge seat)
NEW HE washer and dryer. Electric
1 upright deep freezer.
95% fluorescent and CFL throughout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts