Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
El Clasico on Monday but GolTV Canada is offering it in SD only. Why?

Must be some way they could offer the HD feed the rest of the world will see.

They have a GOLHD channel on Bell but it just shows OFF AIR .

If they can't provide a HD feed why not sell the game to TSN or Sportsnet, Or how about PPV.

While having the game will get GolTV attention
having it in SD will just lead viewers to see the channel as 2nd rate?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Why would they sell it to TSN or Sportsnet? This is the one match a year that GolTV puts everything into. It would be like CBC selling the Stanley Cup Finals to TSN or TSN giving the Grey Cup to Sportsnet.

GolTV Canada now uses GolTV US HD feeds downconverted for their broadcasts. I think this means GolTV Canada will go HD soon (my prediction is March). For now, at least we get the coverage in 16:9.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what the solution is but GolTV La Liga broadcasts this year have had issues.
No audio, Spanish and english at the same time, mix of 4:3 and 16:9 feeds, and no HD despite a HD channel on Bell.

With the demand for tomorrows game I'd wish they had of found a solution to get the HD feed to us somehow even if it meant PPV pricing.

Glad to to hear HD may be coming in March.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why would they sell it to TSN or Sportsnet? This is the one match a year that GolTV puts everything into.
It must be disappointing to GolTV after all those Almeria and Mallorca matches they've been showing live all season to have their big Spanish match on a Monday afternoon when everyone is at work. Anyone know why they moved it to Monday this year?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barca did not want to play on Saturday after the earlier CL game during the week.

Due to some local elections Sunday was ruled out, feeling many would not vote being preoccupied by the game.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I haven't had any issues with GolTV on Shaw Direct. Then again, I don't even think we get the Spanish audio. For a while they were picking up the feed for GolTV SD US and the PQ was crap. Then they starting using the GolTV HD US feed and it is a bit better.

GolTV does have a temporary HD channel that they can use for Toronto FC games. I'm not sure if they can use it for anything else or not.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as SD goes GolTV has been fine,
they have had a few glitches but its not a big deal.

We enjoy watching Barca and Real each week.
Sometimes put the Spanish feed on just to hear GOOOOOOOOAL!

Like the The Movie 2010 about last years clasico in Madrid too that was on this week.

Hoping HD comes soon, this is one sport that really needs it.
Just frustrating to see the HD logo on the feed but only have a SD channel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well even the absence of HD and the presence of Ray Hudson couldn't stop my enjoyment of that game!! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
IMHO he's always been a tool and I guess the humiliation finally got to him and his ego demanded some kind of retribution which he couldn't find through legitimate avenues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yep. I have to turn the sound off, which I hate doing :mad:

I don't know how the play by play guy can stand the constant interrupting and screeching over top of his efforts to describe the action on the pitch!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been a fan of Hudson but he was pretty bad on Monday. First of all his Barcelona bias was a little too obvious. This is also the second time in the last year and a half Hudson has taken umbrage with Phil Schoen (?) for comparing this Barca to the Real Madrid side of the 1950s. Hudson believes this particular Barca side is so great that any comparison to any team in history is somehow insulting. And a third point was that he sounded so dismissive towards Schoen for mentioning that Sunday was an election day in Catalunya. Yet Hudson himself was the one who several times brought up what he called the "social history" between the fans and regions of both teams. Surely he realises that social history and politics go hand in hand, no?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts