Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a south-facing condo near Dufferein+Steeles. No way that a channel 7 yagi for WNGS is possible. The best I can hope for is to tape some insulated wire to a pipe-shaped metal rail on my balcony, to form a simple dipole. Would that work? Can anyone give a ballpark estimate of whether I should lengthen or shorten the dipole from the 33 inches nominal half-wave size?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I doubt that would work well. The rail will act as an RF short circuit. You might get decent results by taping a reflectorless SBGH on a window. The gain should be similar to a small yagi on 7 and much better for UHF. If that isn't possible, try a dipole tuned to 7 on a window.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Could you get away with quietly notching a 2" piece out of the center of that railing and then attach a balun?:eek: ;)

Even though the wires are insulated,... I suspect that you would need some space between your dipole wires and that railing. Maybe using something as stand-offs to keep the wire a couple inches away from the railing. That railing could be bonded to ground somewhere.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The best I can hope for is to tape some insulated wire to a pipe-shaped metal rail on my balcony, to form a simple dipole. Would that work?
Am I correct in understanding that the pipe shaped metal rail is your balcony rail and its fairly long ?

I would give it a try, sounds easy, quick and cheap. Some people have gotten amazing reception with antennas leaning against gutters or connected to the drip edge, so who knows ?

gutters or connected to the drip edge
Hmmm, possibly if the house is pointed right, that could form a large rhombic antenna.

You might get decent results by taping a reflectorless SBGH on a window.
Or using the balcony railing as a reflector for a SBGH.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Walter, are you able to see any sign at all on WNGS with whatever your existing antenna system is now? A blip of signal on the meter, anything? What is your existing antenna, if any btw?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Or using the balcony railing as a reflector for a SBGH.
I thought of that too but I am also assuming that the goal is to keep the antenna out of sight. An SBGH would need to be several inches outside the railing. Most apartment leases prohibit anything like that.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
No way that a channel 7 yagi for WNGS is possible.
You might have better luck making a folded dipole from twin lead and putting it up in your window. If there's a balony above you, you might even find some way to suspend the antennal from it. Taping an antenna to a metal railing is unlikely to work for you. Another possibility is to put some "bunny ears" on the window sill. Many years ago, when I lived in a south facing apartment in the Port Credit area of Mississauga, I put a double bow tie set top antenna on my window sill, to receive ch 23 (then the 2nd Buffalo PBS station, which was not carried on cable). That little antenna gave me a better quality picture than anything that came over cable.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I thought of that too but I am also assuming that the goal is to keep the antenna out of sight. An SBGH would need to be several inches outside the railing. Most apartment leases prohibit anything like that.
Eh, put some plastic flowers on the SBGH and call it a decorative bouquet. :p

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
hehe, I made a crude Stealth Hawk a while ago, and put it in my niece's apt. window. She's pretty crafty, so I told her to decorate it for Halloween.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Yeah, it could make a nice ghost with some cloth over it. (If the cloth gets wet, there could be some problems with reception) Or spray it with some of the white silly string for spider webs. :p (same silly string could do the same for a GH)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I was going to suggest tinsel to improve gain but I guess that's out. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts