Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a letter in the mail today from Cogeco and Effective July 15 2008 Cogeco will be relocating 5 channels from the Analogue line-up to the Digital Cable lineup and the following channels will be

Golf Channel
Speed TV
BET
CNBC

As a result of these changes Cogeco will be making modifications to the channel line-up in your area. Cogeco will be making channel realignments and new channel locations and this will include the following:

CNBC ......................current channel - CH. 55 ... new channel - Digital 83
Golf Channel .............current channel - CH. 52 ... new channel - Digital 84
Speed TV.................current channel - CH. 48 ... new channel - Digital 86
BET.........................current channel - CH. 49 ... new channel - Digital 99
TV Tropolis...............current channel - CH. 54 ... new channel - CH.46
Rogers Sportsnet.......current channel - CH. 53 ... new channel - CH. 48
Family......................current channel - CH. 51 ... new channel - CH. 45
Space......................current channel - CH. 50 ... new channel - CH. 40
TSC.........................current channel - CH. 40 ... new channel - CH. 49

·
Registered
6 Posts
TVKING64

Maybe the reason Cogeco is moving the Golf Channel, Speed TV, and CNBC to Digital Channels becuase they want to make room for MTV Canada (currently on Digital Basic Cable Channel 96), Turner Classic Movies, and American Movie Classics on analogue discretionary channels on Cogeco's Ontario Cable Channel Line-up in the Golden Horseshore, Fergus/Elora, Southwestern Ontario and Central Ontario Cablesystems.

Cogeco's customers maybe put in a request by phone or internet e-mail for WNLO-TV (Ind./CW) Buffalo, New York, Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics to be carried on analogue basic service/discretionary tier in the Golden Horseshoe, Fergus/Elora and Bracebridge/Gravenhurst.

The channel line-up is highly unlikely to because this is pure speculation in every way look like this effective July 15, 2008

Cable 48 Turner Classic Movies............................... New to Cogeco's Cable channel line-up
Cable 52 MTV Canada (moved from Digital Cable Channel 96)
Cable 55 American Movie Classics............................ New to Cogeco's Cable channel line-up

·
Registered
695 Posts
TVKING64 quote: Cable 48 Turner Classic Movies New to Cogeco's Cable channel line-up No, Rogers Sportsnet currently on 53 is moving to 48. Where did you get to info that Turner Classic Movies are coming to channel 48? I would welcome that addition. sailmaker

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I think he's making an assumption.

From what I can see they are simply removing analog channels in order to make room for MORE digital and HD channels.

Burlington's line-up will look like this after the change

2-31 Unchanged
32 HGTV
33 W Network
35 The Discovery Channel
36 The Score
37 Showcase
38 Bravo
39 Food Network
40 Space
41 Teletoon
42 CablePulse 24
43 History Television
44 Comedy Network
45 Family Channel
46 TV Tropolis
47 WPCH Atlanta
48 Rogers Sportsnet Ontario
49 The Shopping Channel
56 CPAC
57 Slice
58 Vision
59 The Sports Network
60 CKCO Kitchener
66 CHLF Toronto
67 RDI
68 CFTM Montreal
69 Canadian Learning Television
70 CTV Newsnet
71 Ontario Legislature
72 TV Guide Channel
73 Treehouse
74 APTN
75 Outdoor Life Network
76 Business News Network
77 Barker Channel
78 TV5

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
New Digital Basic Line-up as of July 15th. Channel availability will very by region.

83 CNBC
84 The Golf Channel
85 Headline News
86 Speed Channel
87 Playhouse Disney
88 Teletoon Retro
89 Barker Channel
90 Food Network
91 Canadian Learning Television
92 Star
93 Report on Business
94 MuchMoreMusic
95 CFPL London
96 MTV
97 CPAC French
98 WNYO Buffalo
99 Black Entertainment Television

·
Registered
711 Posts
i'm in stoney creek and have a few different channels changing.

the last couple in my list seem quite odd:

TLN - currently 35 - new location 51
Family - currently 51 - new location 35

both still analogue.. whats the point in just swapping them like that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cogeco Moving Analogue Channels to Digital

I received a letter from Cogeco that says "effective July 22, 2008 Cogeco will modify the Analogue Value Pack service with the migration of the following channels to Digital Cable".

Now, it seems to me that if channels are being taken away from your current channel package, which Cogeco has done in the past, wouldn't you expect that your monthly fee would go down???.......if anything, my cable bill has increased!!....... Am I wrong or missing something??? This practice seems highly unethical!!! There was a time where the Cable companies offered a free viewing week or weekend of certain channels and if you didn't call them to say you didn't want those particular channels, they started charging you without your consent (which I believed was termed "negative billing").......that was quickly changed......but what about this practice of taking away channels but still charging you the same fee!!!......

·
Registered
1 Posts
WHY?

Why Is This Occuring? More Importantly, Who Can We Call To Make Sure This Doesn't Happen? It'd Be Great If Someone Can Provide A Name And Number (i Guess At Cogeco) To Call And Put A Stop To This. Those Are A Couple Of My FAVORITE Networks In There!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I think the easier thing to do is just subscribe to digital TV. I believe the digital TV pack is about the same price as Analog and you will not only continue to receive those channels above but also other ones such as Teletoon Retro, Playhosue Disney, Game TV, MTV and time shifting to name a few.

I know it's frustrating for those that are analog only but I think everyone has to face the fact that analog is become more and more an obsolete technology as the years go by.

I would not be surprised if some cable systems removed the US networks such as NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX from analog next year when they go digital only OTA. It would be very easy for them to downconvert to analog but they might just use the digital switch over as an excuse to drop more channels off the analog dial.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Effective Today: Cogeco re-mapping channels on their analogue and digital lineup

Well lets see today as it is the day that Cogeco will be re-mapping channels in their analogue and digital cable lineup.

here are the 4 channels that will be re-mapped...

Golf Channel
Speed TV
BET
CNBC

As a result of these changes Cogeco will be making modifications to the channel line-up in your area. Cogeco will be making channel realignments and new channel locations and this will include the following:

CNBC ......................current channel - CH. 55 ... new channel - Digital 83
Golf Channel .............current channel - CH. 52 ... new channel - Digital 84
Speed TV.................current channel - CH. 48 ... new channel - Digital 86
BET.........................current channel - CH. 49 ... new channel - Digital 99
TV Tropolis...............current channel - CH. 54 ... new channel - CH.46
Rogers Sportsnet.......current channel - CH. 53 ... new channel - CH. 48
Family......................current channel - CH. 51 ... new channel - CH. 45
Space......................current channel - CH. 50 ... new channel - CH. 40
TSC.........................current channel - CH. 40 ... new channel - CH. 49
let me now if everyone's receivers are getting these changes today, i'm just a little curious that's all.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Cogeco in Stoney Creek doesn't seem to have made any channel changes recently.
They were hoping we wouldn't notice that... :)

Seriously, some of that was done some time ago.

Just pulling up BeyondTV and checking for Space...

Yup... It's still on 50...

The descriptive video option has been enabled now, but WOW, does the box ever get itself in knots on some channels. When the audio descriptive option is turned on, some channels cause the box to become completely non-responsive. When this happends, the audio sounds like a person gasping for air on a horror movie... And it's almost impossible to get out of.

Back to the drawing board....

Cameron

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Stoney Creek lineup has been updated now...

35 Family
36 TV5
37 Cable Pulse 24
38 CMT
39 Showcase
40 Bravo!
41 HGTV
42 Discovery
43 Food
44 Comedy
45 TELETOON
46 The Score
47 WPCH Atlanta
48 Rogers Sportsnet
49 HISTORY
50 SPACE
51 Telelatino
58 TVtropolis...

Now digital stations...
83 CNBC
84 Golf Channel
86 Speed Channel
87 TELETOON Retro

·
Registered
9 Posts
My sis lives in Kingston. Do you Cogeco subs out there know if Cogeco is offering analog subs any sort of incentive to subscribe to digital? Will I have to pull the "upset customer" card when I speak to customer service to receive some sort of compensation/offer? Or is it a "too bad for you" kind of deal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few months ago Cogeco launched a sales program with its installers (contracted installers, not service techs in cogeco vans) where the installer tries to sell you extra services (inet, voip) or upgrade what you have.

The best deal you can get for any service is through an install tech. And they are more than happy to help you because the commision is quite good.

Digital including receiver rental, digital basic and one theme pack is only $2 more per month than analog value pack...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts