Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the unmentionable word is approaching, what could I expect will happen to the reception of my attic setup when my roof is covered with snow? I know that my sat dish don't do that well when covered with wet snow, but that is at a higher frequency. What is the effect in the VHF and UHF bands?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Since the unmentionable word is approaching, what could I expect will happen to the reception of my attic setup when my roof is covered with snow? I know that my sat dish don't do that well when covered with wet snow, but that is at a higher frequency. What is the effect in the VHF and UHF bands?
light fluffy snow won't matter much. Wet heavy dense snow will be bad.
Really, Really, Really, Bad. Buy a deck of cards, won't be anything on TV. :)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Really, Really, Really, Bad. Buy a deck of cards, won't be anything on TV.
As Tom says, it's the water, not the snow or ice that's the problem.

Except that where there's snow, ice, and escaping heat, there is bound to be water sooner or later...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really, Really, Really, Bad. Buy a deck of cards, won't be anything on TV. :)
Ah, was kind off expecting that because I saw some degradation in my weakest DTV signal (66.1) when we had a cloud burst a few weeks back (that resulted in some basement flooding in a neigbouring community). The Satellite receiver totally lost lock that night. Good thing I have not cancelled Bell yet - I would not have been popular with the rest of the family.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Another big factor is the weight of the snow on the antenna's superstructure, which of course affects your reception.

Bowtie reflectors and GHs, being vertical in their designs and with the relatively short element lengths needed for UHF, should be structurally fine for decades with even heavy loads of snow, and in the case of the original CM4228 this hardiness is well known.

Yagis, OTOH, can be very vulnerable to snow-load bending and warping (especially the longer models). Typically the big VHFs and Combos made by Winegard, Delhi, Channel Master, and Radio Shack/AntennaCraft have something like a second boom, a set of Y-braces, or other support measures to try to prevent sagging, but as you can see on old timer Yagis still out there the effects of many years of snow load can take their toll by bending them anyways. The relatively long element lengths needed for VHF are also a risk, and again on well used VHF Yagi antennas in snowy areas you might see bent or snapped elements.

The Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Yagi is quite long, so personally I'd be checking it out with a carpenter's level or snap line every spring for any sagging.

Having said all that, a consumer can confidently get many winters of proper structural alignment on a brand new Yagi before having to go up the next summer to do some corrective bending.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Bowtie reflectors and GHs, being vertical in their designs and with the relatively short element lengths needed for UHF, should be structurally fine for decades with even heavy loads of snow
Yeah, they hold up well.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
I've got a 91XG, but I'm not concerned with snow loading. I'm more curious about the Delhi VHF antenna that I will soon be putting up: it's 16'1" long! We occasionally get severe freezing rain in Ontario, and I would think ice buildup would be heavier than most snow.

Though I took a similar VHF antenna down this past weekend, and it appears to have survived a few decades of weather abuse....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jase88 you should be fine my VHF Dehli is about 30 years old other than a few misalgined dipoles its held up.Guess maybe I should get them straightened.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I vaguely recall someone somewhere claiming that snow on the ground can be beneficial for OTA as more of the signal from distant transmitters is reflected off the ground.
Of course, the snow on the roof above your attic likely plays a much bigger role

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Reflections cause mulitpath distortion and should be avoided. A reflected signal takes longer to reach the antenna than the direct signal. This means it will likely be out of phase, which means it will interfere with the main signal. In analog TV, this means ghosts. In digital, it can cause loss of data.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The multipath interference caused by snow and ice is usually much less than with solid objects like buildings, unless of course one's antenna is deeply buried or encrusted, or in the case of an attic mount a thick coating of snow and ice on the roof.

Based on what we've been seeing with multipath interference and ATSC tuners in general the latest Generation 6 ATSC chipsets should have no problem with routine snow and ice in all but the deepest fringe areas.

It will be interesting to see reports over the winter, but I can confirm that in the past 4 Canadian winters we haven't had many reports of such problems here in the OTA Forum. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I vaguely recall someone somewhere claiming that snow on the ground can be beneficial for OTA as more of the signal from distant transmitters is reflected off the ground.
Of course, the snow on the roof above your attic likely plays a much bigger role
when I wrote this, I was thinking of distant signals where there is no direct line

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
In deepest fringe or weak reception areas all sources of multipath and signal reduction are a concern, so yes the snow on the ground could be part of a list of problems to get over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snow Interference on GH?

Hi, I'm new here and here's a simple question (I think) for you guys:

I've made a single Grey Hoverman antenna and I put it in the attic. I want to know if the snow that accumulate on the roof during winter can reduce my reception ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Antenna Needs Weather-proof Location?

I purchased a small Monoprice indoor/outdoor amplified antenna (4730) that has boosted my reception from a few fuzzy analog channels to several fuzzy analog channels and a few very nice digital signals (I am located in Aylmer, Quebec - across from Ottawa).

The antenna is temporarily hanging from a curtain rod for elevation on the main floor while I find a permanent location for it outside. Unlike the big antennas, if I put this on top of the roof I can expect it to be buried under snow over the winter so what's the best placement to ensure it works year round? I have read conflicting ideas about attaching it under the evestroughing - it will be protected but with signal loss. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Check out this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjFv6OpWSQ&feature=related

Specifications:
UHF 470-870 MHz
VHF 47-230 MHz
Gain 20 +/- 3dB
Low noise amplifier technology
High directionality
Water-proof and anti-UV housing.
The main body of the unit, not including protrusion for connectors and mounts is about 4 3/16" wide x 7 9/16" high x 1 5/8 deep.
Package Contents:
HDA-5700 main unit
Multi-directional base
Wall mounting packages (plastic pole & screws)
Pole mounting kit (U type screws & butterfly washers)
Coaxial Cable (10ft)
Power inserter
AC Adapter
Operation Manual
The product specs say an outdoor mounting kit is provided to mount the antenna onto a pole. This antenna is very directional when mounted outdoors, so a rotor may be needed if you have various signal directions to target. Don't expect miracles from this antenna. Honestly, I would recommend returning that antenna and build a Stealth Hawk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Though the Stealth Hawk sounds impressive, I'm new to OTA and don't think I have the technical savvy to build one myself (yet). Are these only DIY or can be purchased as well?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts