Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XM Edmonton repeater has been down since about mid December. XM advised that it was supposed to be repaired by Wednesday, the 4th but nothing yet. Apparently, they are awaiting parts?!?

If anyone in Edmonton has been getting dropouts, that is why, no terrestrial service.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah I was starting to wonder if XM even cared with the upcoming merger: i.e. why spend money now on repairing a repeater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Out for almost a month. I've called twice. Yesterday I told them not to charge my credit card for something that isn't working/ They charged it anyway today. I called again and got the same old story,,,,,,xmas;;;;;;;blah, blah....shout be working tomorrow. Offered me a 7 buck credit. what a joke. Looked em up on BBB;;;;;;there an F rating. Not sure how to take this to next level but this is BS. I realize its only 50.00 but that's not the point. Charging for something that doesn't work just isn't right. The CRTC maybe?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but if Satellite radio is beamed down from the sky do you really need terrestrial repeaters?
For a geostationary satellite above the equator, trying to serve areas at the latitude of Edmonton, the answer is a big YES. The satellite will be low in the sky, and could easily be blocked by adjacent buildings to the south.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happens in any major city with large buildings. By having repeaters, you're assured of seamless reception.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts