Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in time for Christmas, Canada's EB Games is looking to charge you New Game prices for Used Merchandise.

Store workers have been told that “used games sections will be eliminated”, that “used game relay materials can be discarded” and that “used games will be shelved with new copies and stickered with the same white price labels”.

The new copy must be placed on the very bottom of the pile and the used ones stacked on top.

“Huge problems with this will of course be with the online code games. Generic_Customer_01 will grab the top copy of NHL 12, go home, and not be able to play online." (because the code has already been registered/activated/used by the previous owner)

“There are also MANY games where the new copy is as cheap as $19.99 but the used copies stacked on top of it are $34.99.

Read the full article at Kotaku

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This explains why I couldn't find new and used games at local EB Games last week

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
How is this even possible? I thought retailers had to by "law" inform the customer if the product had been opened or used previously?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't even like EB games anyway, since their prices always seem to be the highest, and this is yet one more reason I won't be doing business with them.

My, what a dishonest, and sneaky policy! I wonder if they also do this in the USA?

·
Registered
299 Posts
So the trick is buying up used games from people then selling them as new? Nice scam they have going there. Wonder how they will spin this in their favour. Sounds like horrible PR right before their biggest selling season.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
How is this even possible?
The stickers still say New and Used on them.

In the past EB Games had two sections on its shelves for games. New Games had white price labels and were placed in the New Game section while Used Games had yellow price tags and were place in the Used Game section.

Going forward, EB Games is requesting employees place both new and used games in a single section and place white price stickers on both types.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nothing they are doing it illegal but, with people conditioned to think of white stickers as new and yellow stickers as used, you can be assured that issues will arise.

It certainly appears to be an attempt to hoodwink consumers during a time that people are rushing around and maybe not paying full attention.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Ah ok I missed that detail in the article. I wonder how small the print will be that says used.....

I stopped shopping there a long time ago when they kept pushing their $3 warranty on me. One guy mentioned it about 4 times during my purchase and went on a 1 minute diatribe about the benefits....I left and never went back (also didn't complete that purchase)

·
Banned
21 Posts
If I ever buy anything from EB it's a new release and those are always behind the cash anyways, do they put new games on the shelve? I've never seen any, it's always empty boxes.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
What people don't realize is that used game that is $10 cheaper also doesn't include the online pass which is needed for some titles now and sure to be more in the future. In the end the pay the same price for a used game.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Best Buy and Futureshop has already adopted that practice a month ago. As I posted on Raptr.com the displays look like crap. I'm sure the reps from all 3 major consoles as well as big publishers will like seeing their new products mixed with something they are completely against. I don't see a change from Ebgames.....it's EBGames, the con artists in video games retailing but I wouldn't be surprise that place like BB or FS goes back to seperating them by manufacturer pressure.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if the big 3 stopped creating artificial roadblocks to prevent digital distribution like no day 1 releases. equal or even more expensive to buy digitally etc.

The ONLY reason they need brick and mortar stores is to sell the loss leading consoles.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
didn't like EB Games before, really don't like them now

·
Banned
30 Posts
It'd be fraud if it wasn't for the words NEW and USED on the white label. Buyer beware falls into play here. Never liked them before either; definitely done with them now.

DM

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
In this era where physical media is becoming less and less relevant, why is this retailer so determined to shoot themselves in the head? What a terrible, deceptive move.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
No kidding! These shenanigans make me want to stick with Steam and their already frequent on-line specials. Managed to get Portal 2 *brand new* for $33 just two months after its release! Why the heck would I want to buy anything from a physical retailer if the product I'm buying might not be what I thought I was actually buying?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The bigger issue here is that the publishers and hardware manufacturers do not want you to purchase used games, as they do not get any revenue, and are making strides to prevent this practice from continuing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's not really a big problem as long as the prices stay pretty low. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some people weren't already setting up accounts just to buy one game, then sell the account once they're done with it.

At least that's how I see it for the PC platform. Don't know how it would work on console platforms especially if you have to register the console as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts