Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Maybe in the future though... I've been following the shaw PVR thread and it seems that it may be possible in the future with the motorola 6416.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
... says the man from Uxbridge, Ontario who is not with Eastlink.

Call me a pessimist, but I really have my doubts that by calling EastLink you will be able to get a firmware upgrade from another company.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Firmware is firmware. The Motorola boxes operated by Shaw use the same firmware as the Motorola boxes operated by Eastlink, which coincidentally is the same firmware that operates the Motorola boxes the cable system I work for uses.

Eastlink can deploy the necessary 16.74 firmware if they so desire. It is available to them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like "magnet," I feel calling an Eastlink CSR on the help line is unlikely to go anywhere with an issue such as this.
I have drafted a letter to Eastlink for snail-mail. Before I send it off, it would be nice to verify that I have the facts straight.

Latest FW for the DCT6416III is 16.57 according to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR
This, according to the WIKI, supposedly fixed a problem encountered with v16.53 that left "many users no longer able to use Firewire to transfer live content to a PC."
It might be implied that fixing the corruption problem with the IEEE1394 port(caused by an earlier FW update) allows the use of an expander HDD, but I don't really KNOW that for certain. It also logically implies that an expander would have been useable with earlier FW, such as that installed in mine and, presumably, others as well.

I am unsure that an expander would be any more useable with v16.57 than with earlier
versions. It is apparently possible to record live, non 5C-protected programming to an XP-PC even with early FW. Not quite the same thing as being able to simply record 5C-protected HD programming on an "expander" HDD though, which is what I want.

FW in my machine is v16.35 BTW.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I am not an Eastlink customer. I am a Shaw customer and just passing on the information we've been given.

The firmware revision that supports external hard drives is 16.74. I am not sure, other than Shaw, what cable systems have rolled 16.74 out to their users.

While 16.74 supports external hard drives connected by eSATA, the firmware alone will not allow for their use. Motorola has implemented eSATA support in a manner that requires per account authorization. That requires some changes to the billing system that authorizes/enables channels and features.

Simply rolling the firmware out will not assist you without Eastlink choosing to implement external hard drives for their customers. In other words, when you raise the issue with Eastlink, you need to do so in the context of all the changes necessary to support external drives. Simply asking for the firmware revision to address other issues will not result in enabled external drives.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It may be worth your while to attempt to get Eastlink to swap your Motorola box for a Pace box. Pace boxes do have an active eSATA port. I know some people have had mixed experiences with them, but for what it's worth I've had one for a few years now and it still works fine.

I previously had a 500GB Seagate drive attached. I got spoiled with (what seemed like unlimited storage) right up until the point where a power outage damaged the drive. I haven't been watching as much TV so I haven't attempted it since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Use of DVR Expanders...

Hello Everyone. I was curious... During a recent visit to BestBuy I was told I could "extend my HD-DVR viewing experience by being able to practically increase my DVR's storage capacity to an unlimited storage level of up to 600 hours" with a DVR Expander external HDD. The problem I'm currently having is that my EastLink HD-DVR box with dual tuners and built-in 160 GB HDD (Motorola model DCT6416) has both USB as well as an eSATA connector at the back. Would I be able to connect and use one of the Western Digital DVR Expanders with my EastLink D-DVR? There are two Western Digital products: My DVR Expander eSATA with 1 TB capacity and My DVR Expander USB with 500 GB capacity.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. At this time, I believe only Shaw has rolled out the firmware for the eHDD option. (SATA is used by Shaw)

There's lots of discussion in the Shaw forums on the topic and I'm sure once the firmware on Eastlink is updated, there will be similar discussion here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't beleive the external harddrive feature is available with the current software that is running on the EastLink units and if and when it does get enabled only the eSATA version will work. Other cable companies that use the Motorola boxes and have deployed the latest firmware have enabled the extra hard drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i live in Delta and was 'lucky' enough to get a Pace Tahoe which i hooked up an external drive to. have been having problems with the Pace lately (as i'm sure most everyone is!), and wanted to switch to the Motorola 6416.

Delta Cable (Eastlink) said the manufacturer 'locked' the ports, so i phoned Motorola to ask why. they don't physically lock ports, and said it was up to the cable companies to supply the software to use it (eSATA).

after a lengthy wait on the phone with Eastlink, and then a weak explaination why they wont allow the port to be used (still not clear why, the young woman said it's just not available), i've given up!

i went into Future Shop to look at the Pace with the 1TB expander (i'm going into the Delta Cable office with a story i hope they take pity to! hehehe), with hope that it could be used.

the dude that helped me *said he heard a rumor* that Shaw was close to buying Delta Cable.... anyone know anything about it? i've also read speculation of a Shaw/Eastlink trade for cable companies (DC for Mountain).

thanks for letting me spew!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was talking with Eastlink Tech Support today & was told that FutureShop has the means for connecting an external hdd to my dct6416. Guess I'll find out after Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@rastan , this has been discussed a whole lot in other threads here, some just below this thread ,trying doing a search and you will see. You don't need futureshop to connect an external hdd to your box since the last 2 software/firmware updates this year enabled the eSata port . Try searching/reading through some of the threads just below this one, it's hard to miss them lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@rastan , this has been discussed a whole lot in other threads here, some just below this thread ,trying doing a search and you will see. You don't need futureshop to connect an external hdd to your box since the last 2 software/firmware updates this year enabled the eSata port . Try searching/reading through some of the threads just below this one, it's hard to miss them lol.
I haven't seen anyone posting about the DCT6416, though. Has that model had the eSATA enabled yet?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts