Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eastlink's fibre optic network and advanced technologies enable new Gig Internet

As part of Eastlink's continued investment in its extensive coast-to-coast fibre optic network, Eastlink announced today that it will begin to deliver Gigabit Internet services, starting in Atlantic Canada (Halifax) next month.

Working hand in hand with technology partners, Cisco Systems and ARRIS, Eastlink is leveraging its latest Internet investment of $20M in its Fibre Optic network and advanced network technologies to deliver the Internet experience its customers expect today and well into the future.

Eastlink will begin to deploy its new Gig Internet service next month with speeds up to 950 Mbps in Atlantic Canada, and plans to expand across the country in 2016.

"This positions us well to take advantage of the latest in Internet advancements including Gigasphere [otherwise known as DOCSIS 3.1], which we expect to be available in the marketplace early in 2016," explains Mr. Bragg.

Eastlink's deployment of Gig Internet will begin in the Halifax area in November 2015.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the price will have to be in the same ballpark as Bell's Gigabit to be competitive ($149.95/month standalone or $15/month more than 300 Mbps in a bundle.)

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I just find it amazing that all of a sudden, all across Canada, providers now have gigabit bandwidth available. all these past years we kept hearing how it was scarce bla bla bla and now, it is flowing like miracles.

I suppose the next best thing will be who will be the first to offer the 2 gigabit stream?

Reactions: Boodaddy

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eastlink announces $6.5M investment in Rural Nova Scotia - Thousands more Nova Scotians to have access to high speed Internet

Eastlink will make a $6.5M investment in Rural Nova Scotia, bringing high speed Internet and other advanced fibre services to thousands more rural Nova Scotians.

$5.5M will go towards the expansion of the company's core fibre services, which will expand access to Internet speeds that will scale to 940Mbps in the BRNS community of West Pubnico, as well as the communities of Guysborough, Inverness, Mabou, Judique, Port Hood and Port Hastings. Fibre upgrade work is already underway in the community of Guysborough. Eastlink expects work to begin on the BRNS improvement areas later this fall.

This latest announcement builds on Eastlink's ongoing investments in rural Nova Scotia including an additional $2M last year to expand the company's fibre-based Internet services to just over 800 additional homes in Lower East Pubnico in the Municipality of Argyle and Upper Granville/Granville Station in Annapolis County.

$1M will be invested in upgrading about 1,000 existing Rural Broadband customers in southern Nova Scotia to offer the option of higher Internet speeds ranging from 5-10 Mbps. Although the company did not release a finalized list of the Rural Broadband communities to benefit from improved service, Mr. Bragg did confirm that Kemptville (Yarmouth Co), Greenfield (Queens Co) and Margaretsville (Annapolis Co) will be among the areas to benefit from improved service.

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is just funny. Guysborough has a population of 922, and it is not on the way to anywhere except Canso (pop 806). But they can get gigabit internet. Maybe one of the Braggs has a cottage down there.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eastlink mentioned Guysborough as part of the Broadband for Rural Nova Scotia initiative in last year's news release, so there is probably some government money and/or pressure involved.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My uncle owns a cabin in Wittless Bay, NL and Bell Aliant Fibe doesn't exist there only DSL internet through them. I've always wondered if he could get Eastlink Gigabit Internet up there. I know you can in Bauline East which is 11 KM away. The faster internet with them would be better. If so I might mention it to him.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get the impression that Eastlink is just upgrading their existing cable infrastructure and not building out to new areas. I would say the chances are slim unless they already have Eastlink cable in the community. I tried the postal code for Witless Bay (A0A 4K0) on the Eastlink site and it seems they don't provide service there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts