Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2011.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Eastlink in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Eastlink has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2010: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118335

·
Registered
931 Posts
Channel 600

I was flipping through the guide this morning and saw that there was a channel 600 here in Oxford. It seems to be a clone of channel 601 (CBC HD Toronto). The programming is identical, even on Monday night at 6:00 for CBC news Toronto.

I can only guess what this means:

Making space for another CBC HD feed?

Somebody made a mistake on the latest channel map?

Anybody else see this in other towns?

Happy New Year,

Mark

·
Registered
938 Posts
Its a feed for tonights 3D broadcast of the Winter Classic, there is a title card showing on the channel now, it will disappear once the game is over, and reappear before the Heritage classic in February. Same deal when Discovery World HD had that Dinosaurs special, and they added a channel before it to provide the "side-by-side" 3D signal format.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Someone on twitter said there were more HD channels added to the Dartmouth system yesterday, anyone want to check that is in Dartmouth to see if this is true? Also if they were added to Dartmouth then probably Bedford, Sackville and other parts of NS also except for the city of Halifax where were still waiting for channels that were added last june etc...

·
Registered
31 Posts
New Channels?

Not sure if these were available previously; they are on in Dartmouth now:
channel 640 National Geographic NGHD; also channel 656 YTVHD.

·
Registered
694 Posts
NGHD has been available since Eastlink launched HD services years and years ago. YTVHD is new though. Thx buddy for the update, is that all you can see that has possibly been added since yesterday?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Amherst has them as well. YTV works fine, FAM comes up not authorized. But it is in the guide.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Of course you have them meanwhile we in Halifax are screwed once again because of feet dragging by Eastlink in getting the system fixed to add any more channels. Were missing 14 HD channels now.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here is a list of HD channels we are now missing in Halifax that everyone else seems to have know, I was mistaken when I said 14, it's actually 17 HD channels we are missing now:

613 CBC West HD*
614 Global West HD*
615 CTV West HD*
632 WPIX HD*
633 KTLA HD*
637 CNN HD*
644 MovieTime HD*
6xx FamilyHD
656 YTVHD
668 Turner Classic Movies HD*
730 NBA TV Canada HD*
731 Big 10 HD*
771 TVA HD
774 Canal Vie HD*
776 Series + HD*
777 Ztele HD*
778 V HD*

PS. Make sure everyone tell all there friends and family within the city of Halifax itself that has Eastlink HD that there missing these and to complain then maybe something will get done about it but you see Eastlink is counting on most of it's subs in Halifax not knowing this which they would be correct, most will not have any clue about this. Word needs to get out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
FAMHD and YTVHD in Charlottetown, channels 655 & 656.

YTVHD just came on but FAMHD displayed that I had to call for authorisation.

When I called, the tech support guy didn't know what I was talking about because he didn't have them on his "guide listing". He put me on hold to talk to the sales dept and when he came back on the phone, he said that the sales dept wanted people to call for authorisation of this channel and then he immediately activated it.

Not sure what that's about, I hope that we aren't going to be charged extra for it as a "specialty channel" down the road.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know I'm at my wits end with this company, missing 17 HD channels and no answers from anyone at all at Eastlink as to when this will be rectified has me looking forward to FibreOP coming in June. I call eastlink and ask them about the missing channels and all they tell me is there working behind the scenes to improve service, I'm like what the heck does that mean???? Seriously how long has this foolishness with halifaxs system been going on for, almost a whole bloody year now and still no improvements then we get hit with a rate increase. I told a csr I refuse to pay that rate increase until we get all the missing channels that are missing in Halifax but available to mostly all of ns and pei so there not getting that rate increase from me until then, I am deducting $2.95 every month from my bill and sending the difference, I will make it all up when they add the 17 & counting missing HD channels

·
Registered
694 Posts
Did a QAM rescan today and found 5 new scrambled channels, wonder what they could be???

·
Registered
82 Posts
47 HD Channels Added To Stephenville

http://www.eastlink.ca/About/PressReleases.aspx?NewsId=257

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 16, 2011
EastLink video in Stephenville just got more compelling
Stephenville, NL - The EastLink video experience in the Stephenville area just got more compelling with the addition of EastLink OnDemand and another 47 High Definition channels including Family, YTV, AMC Sportsnet One, Discovery World to name a few.

“With an investment of over three million dollars, EastLink’s latest video enhancements of OnDemand and HD channel additions are part of EastLink’s continuous program of improvement providing our customers with the most modern, exciting entertainment products,” said Arthur Taylor, Regional Manager.

"We understand that enhanced video services like OnDemand and HD are preferred by a growing number of consumers. This latest addition is an example of just how hard we're working to deliver more,” explained Taylor.

EastLink OnDemand offers EastLink Digital Cable Customers access to a vast library of free programs including prime time TV shows like the very popular Glee and Hawaii Five-O, EastLink TV community programming including episodes of “My Town”, as well as Treehouse and YTV children’s programs, music videos and even Karaoke. OnDemand also allows customers to choose from New Releases and Old Favourites Movie Rentals; The Movie Network (TMN); HBO; and access to major events including UFC. EastLink offers live and OnDemand exclusive coverage of amateur sports including Quebec Major Junior Hockey and Atlantic University Sports football, hockey and basketball.
Ok I sit here in Halifax just shaking my head, I'm happy for Stephenville and all and have no ill will towards them but here we now have areas of NL, all of PEI and most of NS that have all the HD channels available and here in Halifax, HALIFAX I say and we get nothing, zero, zilch, notta. What is going on here, is Halifax going to be the last on Eastlinks list to get upgraded to be able to add HD channels, 17 are missing and counting as we speak. I'm beyond frustrated now with this company. Does anyone have a clue why Halifax would be left behind like this considering it is home base for Eastlink and it is there largest subscriber base I'm sure by far?? Can't get any answers from eastlink, they just beat around the bush.

·
Registered
117 Posts
eastlink on the peninsula

Perhaps an agreement with Aliant??????
Part of the outer suburban areas do not have access to Aliant TV; Lower Sackville has Aliant tv access but areas such as Timberlea do not, even though they have access to Bell Aliant high speed internet. Is there some hidden marketing agreement between the two? just a thought......one never knows.

1 - 20 of 550 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.