Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2010.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Eastlink in 2010 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Eastlink has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Eastlink 2009 New Channels Discussion

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well it is now January, and up here in Northern NS we are still waiting on most of the new HD channels that were supposed to be added in December,

So far, only new channels I have seen here are, GlobalHD, CityHD, WSBKHD, CBC NN HD,
We were supposed to have that as well as Sportsnet O + P in HD, TheScore HD, RDS HD, GOLF HD, SUNtv HD, Mpix HD, and we were told that they would be added during December.

Guess the wait continues..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it is now January, and up here in Northern NS we are still waiting on most of the new HD channels that were supposed to be added in December,

So far, only new channels I have seen here are, GlobalHD, CityHD, WSBKHD, CBC NN HD,
We were supposed to have that as well as Sportsnet O + P in HD, TheScore HD, RDS HD, GOLF HD, SUNtv HD, Mpix HD, and we were told that they would be added during December.

Guess the wait continues..
In halifax at least SN regional HD have been added. Still waiting for all the rest you mentioned.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep were still waiting on RDSHD,GolfHD & TheScoreHD and the 2 new Astral(TMN) HD channels, MFunHD & MxsHD. SunHD as far as I am concerned is just a waste of bandwidth, I don't know what the rest of you think of it but after watching it on and off there seems to be very little programming in HD and the programming in general is targeted more to the GTA area then anything. I would say 95% of that channels programming is non HD from what I have viewed.

·
Super Moderator
4,493 Posts
I did watch an episode of Taxi on SunTV during the holidays, despite being 4x3 with black bars on the sides, the resolution was incredible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TheScoreHD has now launched and is on channel 712.

After viewing it for about an hour it's not the greatest pq wise like I thought it would be. It's also running at 720P unless the station only broadcasts a 720P signal so I'm guessing it's coming from Bell and as we know Bell downsample all 1080i signals to 720P so I'm sure that's why it looks very soft and not as crisp and sharp as a channel that is running 1080i signal.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice to see ScoreHD added, I think the issue with the subpar PQ is because they actually squish a nice 16x9 image to fit between the scorebug and the top, so there is some loss there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Score HD

NewOne,

I believe Score HD could be a native 720p channel. I have Shaw Direct and it is 720p there too (the only 720p on Shaw Direct that I could find). And it does look worse than the 720p channels that Shaw upconverts to 1080i (ABC, Fox).

But it looks a lot better than 4x3 SD!

·
Registered
161 Posts
RDS HD

Hi Folks
Still no sign of RDS HD here in Northern NS.
I have been on the phone with Eastlink about it.
They helped ease my pain a bit in Dec and again for the next billing period with some other offerings.
I've been told that due to some exclusitivity clause they need to wait a period of time before they can offer it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Folks
Still no sign of RDS HD here in Northern NS.
I have been on the phone with Eastlink about it.
I've been told that due to some exclusitivity clause they need to wait a period of time before they can offer it.
Very strange, I've never heard of that one before. Can anyone elaborate on this more?

·
Registered
1 Posts
RDS

RDS is the French language version of TSN.
But, personally, I'm waiting on the HD version of Spike.
I'm pumped that we just got The Score and other sports networks in HD on PEI.

·
Registered
694 Posts
We all know what RDS is Beatbox, I wanted to know about Eastlinks explanation that was given to maritimer555 by CSR as to why RDSHD wasn't added yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I continue to wait anxiously for the Golf channel, HD, since I am a huge golf fan. The channel was promised way back in December, with that letter sent in the mail, and still no sign of it yet. About RDS-HD, although that would be a good addition, it would not be as useful to me, since my French skills are sadly lacking. However, the failure to add that channel is puzzling as well, since it was promised in that letter. Perhaps negotiations with the carriers are not going well with these two channels.

Also, I was really hoping that Eastlink would offer the 2 new Movie Netweork HD feeds, as well as AMC-HD, and TCM-HD, which almost every other cable/satellite provider is offering.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Also, I was really hoping that Eastlink would offer the 2 new Movie Netweork HD feeds, as well as AMC-HD, and TCM-HD, which almost every other cable/satellite provider is offering.
If you read previous posts in this thread you would see that Eastlink is going to add the 2 new astral HD channels. They were listed on TMN's website for Eastlink but were removed because they jumped the gun in announcing them but we are getting them. As for AMCHD & TCMHD , they would be good additions for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,493 Posts
The only program I watched on AMC was Madmen- the commercials per hour and TBS-afication of films makes the movies unwatchable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So here is the deal for Halifax customers:

GOLF Channel HD will be on 714
RDSHD will be on 772

Each channel was supposed to originally launch with ScoreHD earlier this month but were pulled at the last minute due to "contractual issues."

Eastlink expects both to be available in the near future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eastlink Halifax has just added The Score Channel to their HD line-up on channel 712.
LOL Ellery, read page 1 of this thread then you would have seen that it was already posted by me 2 weeks ago when TheScoreHD was actually added too halifax's HD lineup. Make sure you read things through that way you won't be wasteing your time posting old news.

As for the other 2 channels not added yet I'm kinda surprised that eastlink announced that they would be adding them back in dec you would think they already had all the contractual issues signed beforehand.

·
Registered
161 Posts
RDS HD

Hi Folks

Still no word on RDS HD. as soon as this billing period is over I will be calling again to try to get the same consessions "in lieu of " not getting RDS. As it seemed to be a contracual issue i doubt it can be resloved too quickly. I only wish.
Has anyone else heard about when RDS HD will be available ?

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.