Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion on the following two PC based e-mail clients - Pegasus and Thunderbird?

Are there any other recommendations?

My Outlook 2000 won't work with Windows 7.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I run Thunderbird and have not problems with it at all, I also run Sea Monkey, which is a a full Suite, e-mail, Browser, IRC client and HTML Editor, again runs great. I use them on my Mac Book Pro's and my Vista machine.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
I use Thunderbird on my work computer, instead of Outlook, and also occasionally on my home computers. Works fine.

BTW, I run my own IMAP server at home, so it doesn't matter which computer or client I use, all the messages are available everywhere, including on my Nexus One.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with Jake, since I switched to a Web Browser exclusively I couldn't go back to a full mail client.

That said, I set my wife up with Windows Live Mail- and she loves it. It's the Outlook Express incarnate.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've used Pegasus mail (PM) for over 15 years, currently on a XP. It's a good programme but doesn't have all the bells and whistles that newer mail programmes have. Pegasus is said to have fewer vulnerabilities as it doesn't automatically open attachments and links but then so do a lot of newer mail programmes.

One thing it can also do is selectively retrieve and delete mail from the POP server. I have my mail go to 4 PCs and generally use PM to delete mail once it has been retrieved on all PCs.

PM can be slow when you have a lot of mail in your main folder as it seems to individually sort/load each one (even if it's/though stored under/in one file).

I'm not all that fond of Windows Live personally. Seems to take way too long to load an e-mail especially when you start it up and it does the retrieving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have used thunderbird for a a number of years. one thing i would suggest that in the server settings you tell thunderbird not to erase messages off your server for 7 days, it wont change how thunderbird operates, but it will still allow you to log in with webmail and see all you messages from teh last 7 days, which i find pretty handy.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
^^^^
Or use IMAP, if available. With IMAP, the messages are stored on the server and can be accessed by any computer or client, including web mail. Gmail, Primus and others have IMAP available. Rogers, to my knowledge, doesn't. I run my own IMAP server at home.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Thunderbird plus Lightning are a good replacement for Outlook. The (re)learning curve is quite small and most of the functionality is there. Most of the annoyances and bugs are missing as well. I switched a couple of years ago and have had no email problems since.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I use Thunderbird as mentioned above but just purchased Office Professional Plus 2010 and installed the works. Outlook 2010 is a dog!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haven't used an e-mail client for 10 years. Hotmail has made it a thing of the past for me. Installed Windows Live Mail on father-in-laws computer and he seems to like it. He couldn't grasp the idea of web-based e-mail so still wanted a client.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The last standalone eMail client I used was Thunderbird. I went strictly to web based eMail when I went to using my netbook for my primary communications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts