Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you mean you formatted the drive internally, correct? As soon as you install a drive internally, it gets formatted when you power on the box. What we need to figure out is how to format the drive externally (via a the external SATA port). This would allow us to install a drive larger than 160GB (1TB, etc).
Or get our hands on a compressed HD image that we can write to the drive with a PC, and then install internally. I'd bet this is how the people selling "kits" do it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The guys with the "kits" are just regular folk in Shaw territory out west. But Shaw's boxes allow you to hookup an external SATA drive. They format the 1TB easily. This 1TB drive can now be installed in any motorola box with Cogeco.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The guys with the "kits" are just regular folk in Shaw territory out west. But Shaw's boxes allow you to hookup an external SATA drive. They format the 1TB easily. This 1TB drive can now be installed in any motorola box with Cogeco.
Yes, I know that's how they got started, but I bet they grabbed images from 500, 750 and 1TB drives and write them with PCs now instead of keeping activated STBs around just to format drives.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm surprised that I haven't been able to search out an image file for an empty drive for Moto STB. People on forums even discuss the details of the partition table and the fact that it's an IBM GPFS filesystem but no one grabs an image while they're snooping around to compress and share with those who don't have adequate firmware?

I have no problem that some people have made a business out of selling kits ready to go including the proper bit to remove the cover, that's not my point. I'm just surprised that the image isn't out there for people who don't need the assistance to write an image and install a disk.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I never considered how an image would work. Would it have to be a 1TB image for a 1TB drive? Would brand of drive matter for that to be transferable?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I never considered how an image would work. Would it have to be a 1TB image for a 1TB drive? Would brand of drive matter for that to be transferable?
It should be an image from the appropriate size of drive because the image would contain the exact partitioning etc... Any sectors which are effectively empty would compress down to the nothing so the (compressed) image file could be very small. If someone was attempting to create a master image they should probably zero out all of the sectors on the drive before connecting it externally to ensure maximum compressibility of the unused space. Some imaging tools will have filesystem intelligence making the zeroing unnecessarily but are probably geared towards NTFS, FAT32, ext3 and not GPFS. I wouldn't count on sophistication much beyond 'dd' when working with GPFS. A tool like "Clonezilla" should be able to handle the drive in one of its modes to handle all of the partition tables etc...

There would be a little bit of a gotcha concerning the variance in actual sector count between different brands/models of "1 TB HDDs" but that's probably not insurmountable. I would expect, but couldn't possibly guarantee, that things would be OK as long as the 1TB image was made on the "smallest" 1TB-class drive available and leaving unallocated sectors at the end of the drive on the "larger" 1TB-class drives. Worst case, images may need to be model specific, meaning that if the master image was taken from a WD10EADS, it must be written to a WD10EADS.

·
Registered
698 Posts
WD dvr extender w/Moto 6416 set top box

WDBABT0010HBK is a 1 tb hard drive package with eSata cables, power supply, enclosure etc. specifically set up to be used with set top dvr boxes.

I would like to install it on my Motorola 6416 dvr supplied by Cogeco. I called and got a soft answer. They do not support such efforts and I would be on my own. They would not or could not confirm that such an installation would work. I think it will, eSata to eSata.

One CR mentioned that their output is coded. She did talk with another techy and confirmed what she had told me earlier regarding (no) support.

Can anyone out there expand on this selection one way or the other? Thanks in advance for any input at all.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
sailmaker, I moved your post to this existing thread on the topic. I do not believe Cogeco allows eHDDs, otherwise we'd have seen activity on the topic here.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cogeco living in 20th century

@57: thanks for your efforts. What the h*ll is Cogeco's problem I wonder. So I record 25 programs instead of the few I can now record for example. Cogeco used to be good here in Burlington 10 or 15 years ago. Now they seem to have their head up their butt. Price goes up, quality goes sideways or down, help is ignorant of what the policy is or don't care.

I have had techies in house who were just wonderful, went out of their way to make things right, were not in a rush etc. Of course that was some years ago.

I had three 4-hour sports games saved and that was 28% full. Useless. :mad: sailmaker

21 - 28 of 28 Posts