Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to have an extra 250GB sata drive lying around. If I install without externally formatting, will I at least get 160GB working? I don't care much for the size of the drive. Not for now anyways. Maybe eventually I'll get an external SATA enclosure and then re-format.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll at least stick in the 250GB to see if the problem is only a damaged hard drive.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, stuck in the 250GB and suddenly DVR functions are back. Plugged the 120GB drive into my PC and it recognizes the drive, but I get errors when trying to format. Wonder if there's a way to save it.

On another note, I have external cables to plug a SATA drive into a USB port. What cable would be used to plug a SATA drive directly to the port on the back of the 6412? I see the SATA port, but an internal SATA cable does not plug into it.

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
asif9t9. Does Cogeco firmware allow for eHDD on Motorolas now? I don't recall seeing threads/discussion on it, other than the following, which indicates not, but it's older and I was away for much of September.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118208&highlight=ehdd

People responding here may assume you're with Shaw since this is a Shaw thread, albeit about the iHDD, not the eHDD. Suggest you consider posting in the appropriate threads, so that people aren't confused and you aren't misled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lucky you. Cogeco doesn't let us do squat.
So is it an issue with the firmware version? :confused: My Shaw box is 16.76

Do the different Cable providers have different versions but show as the same version numbers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now that Cogeco has the new firmware, I'm looking at buying a second-hand DVR to replace our rental 6416 III and install an internal 1TB drive. I've quickly read through the 100+ pages of posts concerning this and I'm hoping I haven't missed anything. I have a couple of clarifying questions, just in case I have. I know that I will have to connect the 1TB drive externally to format, and then install internally. I'll be doing this on a new-to-me DVR so I'm not worried about losing content. I'm not interested in having external storage permanently attached.

1/ Seagate LP or WD Green (my preference)? Any issues with the latest WD Greens (WD10EARS) and the "new" 4k sector size (also called Advanced Format)? WinXP requires special procedures for alignment or performance suffers - what about DCTs? Should I be looking for drives which still have 512 byte sectors? Is setting jumper 7-8 the right thing to do with a DCT? The jumper solution is only supposed to work with a single partition, I don't know just what the DCT does.

1a/ Is WD Green "spin down" a problem with internal drives like it is for external? I'd love for it to spin down when idle/off, as long as the DCT could handle waiting for spin up when the time comes.

2/ Any limitations I've overlooked concerning iHDD expansion with 6412 III vs. 6416 III? The 12's are less expensive second hand and that's what I'm looking at and I have read that there are no differences - but I want to be certain that iHDD/eHDD behaviour was included in those statements of "no difference". Am I correct that only the phase III models are SATA?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Now that Cogeco has the new firmware,
Unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks, Cogeco boxes will not accept an externally connected SATA drive, even for the purpose of formatting it. I tried with a couple of different drives, and SATA enclosures, and at best a message pops up on the tv saying something like, "External drive not supported, please disconnect". And that's it.

What may work is to order a preformatted hard drive from ebay off a guy who formats using a Shaw box in western Canada. Google and you'll find such listings. But I don't know if it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks, Cogeco boxes will not accept an externally connected SATA drive, even for the purpose of formatting it. I tried with a couple of different drives, and SATA enclosures, and at best a message pops up on the tv saying something like, "External drive not supported, please disconnect". And that's it.

What may work is to order a preformatted hard drive from ebay off a guy who formats using a Shaw box in western Canada. Google and you'll find such listings. But I don't know if it works.
Hmmm. Uh oh. I thought/assumed that since the firmware was updated to the revisions supporting eSATA this wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone been successful doing this on Cogeco Ontario?

As further commentary - I understand the guys online have a reasonable business case in terms of demand for selling the drives with the image on it for 100% markup, but I can't believe that no one is hosting "empty drive" images for 500,750 and 1000GB for download. They must compress down to almost nothing, could be grabbed with any utility like Clonezilla and written to a blank drive by anyone with some technical capability.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's weird. Even though our firmware should support the eSata port, Cogeco disables the function. I mean, they actively made a decision to stick it to us.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah it's weird. Even though our firmware should support the eSata port, Cogeco disables the function. I mean, they actively made a decision to stick it to us.
Which, generally (and shockingly), doesn't seem to be Cogeco's general stance. They still allow the activation of outside boxes etc...etc...

I have an external eSATA chassis, although it's full of data and my rental 6416 III is connected via HDMI (reported not to show format messages) and not installed in a location condusive to testing - I'll see what happens. If it works, I'll also grab an image of the empty 500GB drive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Which, generally (and shockingly), doesn't seem to be Cogeco's general stance. They still allow the activation of outside boxes etc...etc...

I have an external eSATA chassis, although it's full of data and my rental 6416 III is connected via HDMI (reported not to show format messages) and not installed in a location condusive to testing - I'll see what happens. If it works, I'll also grab an image of the empty 500GB drive.
So I backed up my 500GB external enclosure and got everything prepared to connect it to my 6416 III. After a pause it flickered the drive and displayed a message that 'your account is not authorized to use external storage, please contact your service provider'.

Just for kicks I contacted Cogeco tech support. I spoke to a person who told me that the Motorolas don't work with external storage, only the "new" Pace units do. I mentioned that with the new firmware push in the fall they can support it, but that it's flagged as disabled by Cogeco (not knowing whether it's something a CSR can even see in their systems). He told me that they're dropping Motorola and going with Pace and wouldn't likely be doing any further development on Motorola firmware. I again clarified that the version of firmware supports it, people with this version in Shaw territory are using it, but Cogeco has it disabled. He told me that my local Cogeco store has lots of HD DVRs in stock and some of them might be Pace.

I didn't feel like arguing with him but gave him another chance to go check with someone and he declined.

In short, he didn't get it and wouldn't go check with anyone. He says I'm the first caller to ever ask these questions.

So, has anyone confirmed that with 16.75 you MUST pre-format the drive externally? Or can you just connect it up internally and have it format? Or would it be limited to 160GB then? Any pointers to a downloadable HDD image for a 1TB drive other than buying a ready to go drive on ebay?

Anyone talked a Cogeco Ontario CSR into enabling external storage?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll tell you what happened to me. The 120GB Seagate drive in my box failed. I took it out and replaced with a 250GB Western Digital drive internally. The box recognized the drive, but only 32GB of memory. Formatting etc did not working. I had two of these 250GB WD's.....same problem. I stuck in an old 40GB 2.5" Hitachi drive....same thing....only 32GB recognized. Google and you'll see people talking about this issue.

So then I order online from ebay the same exact model # of Seagate 120GB drive that I took out. I stuck it in.......the box didn't recognize the drive AT ALL. The drive worked FINE on my PC. Formatted it, ran disk checks, Seagate utitilies, etc, etc. I checked the drives, and although same model #, one was made in China, the other in Singapore. Can't recall which was which.

Btw, in the midst of all this, I tried all drives in external enclosures, to see if they would format. No dice. Same error you got above.

Finally, my bro had an extra 120GB Seagate drive lying around. Stuck it in and the box recognized it as 120GB. So, around in a circle, I have the box working again. I have a useless 120GB drive off ebay. The two 250GB WD drives are still lying around.

Anyways, my experience is I have no idea what will work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had luck with a 120GB Western Digital PATA drive. I did the proper procedure to have the box format the drive and it just worked no problem. Was a bit noisier though.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you mean you formatted the drive internally, correct? As soon as you install a drive internally, it gets formatted when you power on the box. What we need to figure out is how to format the drive externally (via a the external SATA port). This would allow us to install a drive larger than 160GB (1TB, etc).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts