Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does SD carry the E! channel? My wife and I like to watch programs like Soup, Chelsea Lately, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Girls Next Door, etc. on this channel and I'm hoping SD can provide it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The US feed of E! is not approved for distribution in Canada, therefore no provider can offer it.
E! did exist in Canada on several Canwest owned OTA stations. All of these stations have either changed ownership, been shut down or converted to Global nearly a year ago.

There was some talk that Canwest still held the Canadian rights to the E! programming library, but there have been no recent developments.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Does SD carry the E! channel? My wife and I like to watch programs like Soup, Chelsea Lately, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Girls Next Door, etc. on this channel and I'm hoping SD can provide it.
CHCH used to show E! content but the channel was sold and rebranded. This has nothing to do with any provider but all of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not illegal

Last I heard it was not illegal to own property in the US.
No-one has ever been prosecuted for subscribing to US Sat TV.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too bad we can't get that programming here. :(

To watch a a US satellite in Canada breaks US laws, not Canadian ones so as long as you are on Canadian soil, no one can touch you.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QCK: Less than half of Canada has a DirectTV or Dish Network? lol
Read what was posted my friend:

US address + Dish Network = Happy Viewing!

Which means 14 + million people living in the US having Dish newtork have happy viewing... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
QCK: Look at the poster's location.
It says Nova Scotia.
I was under the impression that he was using a US address to subscribe to Dish Network but is watching it from Nova Scotia.

We are talking about Canadians watching Dish Network not Americans watching Dish Network

Also, 14 million users aren't all happy users.

d_source: It doesn't break US Law. It breaks Canadian Law.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hypothetical

OK, so here's a totally hypothetical situation:
I am a Canadian citizen living in Nova Scotia, but I also own a condo in Florida. I have a legal subscription to DN in Florida at my condo.
I have Bell TV at my home in Nova Scotia.
I bring my DN receiver back to Canada, turn my dish, plug in, and watch DN.
Can I now be arrested? What a crock! No way. I'm paying for both. You can imagine the court case-
Well, your honour, he was paying for TV!
Case dismissed!
lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why all the bitching? Most of the shows that were mentioned by the original poster can be found on a variety of Canadian specialty channels. Just look them up. I can't be bothered, but I know I have seen them in the guide before.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
ilfoman: Yes as what you are doing is illegal.

And regarding the court case. All they have to do is prove that you are watching Dish Network and you would be found guilty. It is irrelevant that you pay both Dish Network and Bell. Will they go after you. Probably not.

mrbean5411: I don't recall any of them on my Shaw Guide.

·
Registered
138 Posts
"Keeping up with the Kardashians" is on Slice, "Girls Next Door" is on Playboy TV and Showcase. I'm not sure, but I think Chelsea Lately and The Soup are now gone since CHCH switched from being E! to being a movies and news superstation. If those shows are any good, some Canadian channel will pick them up.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes none of those shows are being played on any Canadian station. I've seen some Girls next door reruns, but all reruns from years ago, stuff I've already watched. I want new episodes which it seems aren't available in Canada.

The Soup and Chelsea Lately have no Canadian relevance so I can't see another provider picking them up. Shame, it's good comedy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
To put things simple. Once you've had US tv you can't go back.The list is too long but are plenty of shows that will never be seen up here.And there no such thing channel surfing and saying there's nothing on. With hundreds of more channels than in Canada ' Anyway they don't compare

1 - 18 of 18 Posts