Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8300HD with an external drive attached. For the past couple of days, things have been odd.
(1) When I try and access a recording, I get the message that the recording is unavailable. I then switch the external drive off and on again, and then I can play the recording. Never had to that before..
(2) The PVR - when watching live TV - is behaving strangely, freezing up etc. When I unplug it and replug it, it takes an inordinately long time to reboot with a weird countdown on the front panel that I have never noticed with previous reboots... And then it works OK.
Can anyone advise - put this together - for a diagnosis, as well as a treatment plan?

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
Definitely sounds like the start of a HDD issue. If it works properly with the eHDD unplugged, then you know it's the eHDD. If it behaves badly with only the iHDD, then it would likely be the iHDD.

If you wish to save your programming by cloning the drive(s), you'll need to do it very soon before the HDD packs it in altogether. For additional information see the stickies on the i/eHDDs for the 8300HD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
On a slight tangent, when there is an eHDD attached, where do recordings get stored? Is it predictable, like PVR HD first and then eHDD, or eHDD first, then PVR - or other?

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
As discussed in post 1 of the eHDD thread, the recording goes to the HDD with the most space available percentage-wise. This is why recordings go to the eHDD when it's first added until it's as full percentage-wise as the iHDD. If the iHDD was quite full before you added the eHDD and if you don't remove any of the recordings on the iHDD, then recordings will go to the eHDD "forever".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773

It's "easy" to tell where your recordings are if you remove the eHDD, they won't play, while the iHDD recordings will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts